Quantcast
WTF? Prophet 08 module too wide for rack?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
WTF? Prophet 08 module too wide for rack??
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
WTF? Prophet 08 module too wide for rack??

I just tried to rack up my new Prophet 08, and it's too wide to fit in my rack???

Anyone have this issue? The rack ears are on perfectly with no space and fit quite good, yet, when i try to get it in my Raxxess rack it cant get past the wood frame!?

It did seem that the wood sides that came installed was not quite tight to the edges before I put on the rack ears, thus making it a bit wider...meaning i did REMOVE the wood, but when the wood was on there was a gap.

It's like a curse. Everything I buy from Sweetwater (at no fault of their own) is ALWAYS defective!!
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
are you meant to remove the wood ends before mounting the rack frame?
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
lol... remove the wood edges and try again.

and make sure you use the shorter screws that come with it; if you use the long screws for the wood ends they will make contact with the internal components.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee ➑️
I just tried to rack up my new Prophet 08, and it's too wide to fit in my rack???

Anyone have this issue? The rack ears are on perfectly with no space and fit quite good, yet, when i try to get it in my rack it cant get past the wood frame!?

It did seem that the wood that came installed was not quite tight to the edges before I put on the rack ears, thus making it a bit wider.

It's like a curse. Everything I but from Sweetwater (at no fault of their own) is ALWAYS defective!!
edit:;; several people beat me to it... but here's the pic
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
lol, of course i took the wood off. I was going to write that but didn't think anyone would assume that.

the rack ears fit flawlessly and are flush with the metal sides, using the short screws.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
ok, it was a little confusing from your wording. doesn't make sense then, it's standard rack size when it comes to width... very odd.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i do have my PC racked on the bottom of this rack which is something that was never in place before. It's heavy as ****, i wonder if it's warping the rack somehow.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
its unlikely that the P08 case has shrunk or something...it could flex but for it to be the incorrect size seems unlikely...
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
well if you were to see how it's made, there is for sure an area that could have been made a bit wide, very hard to explain but the possibility is there.

when i get home i will try it in another rack i have in the basement. if it fits, my rack is warped. but i have had the same 12 space rack fully fitted before with no issues. gear is usually a tad SHY of a rack, this is obviously larger which is so weird.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I finally got it. Super, super tight fit. at least 4mm wider than any gear i've had. Funny, the guy on the phone at DSI was nice, but he told me it's because there is really no standard for rack gear so they differ...UH HOW ABOUT 19 INCHES?? lol

oh well time for fun!
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
congrats on your purchase. if you check the DSI forum, there is a guy on there who has 256 patches for sale on ebay for $12 or something. they are absolutely BRILLIANT and really show off the capabilities of the synth. i find myself using them with very little editing- they just don't need it.

may be of interest to ya
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I finally got it. Super, super tight fit. at least 4mm wider than any gear i've had.

oh well time for fun!
Hey, you got 4mm of extra synth for no extra cost! That's a deal!
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Probably a Chinese counterfeit Prophet.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck ➑️
Hey, you got 4mm of extra synth for no extra cost! That's a deal!
That's funny!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak260 ➑️
congrats on your purchase. if you check the DSI forum, there is a guy on there who has 256 patches for sale on ebay for $12 or something. they are absolutely BRILLIANT and really show off the capabilities of the synth. i find myself using them with very little editing- they just don't need it.

may be of interest to ya
thanks i will check that out!

I love it so far!!! I was sketchy on buying one because I already have a poly evolver, but honestly they sound a lot different. I will report back once I have a chance to get used to it. I spent a ton of time installing it today, plus I installed a new midi (had to go back to motu, the best) interface and another monster power supply today so i am now exhausted. Figure i will paint the room green and take in the vibe with some music listening for now.

I am thinking so far I like the prophet better than the poly evolver though! I thought it was going to be very brassy but it's really warm and smooth, but has a lot of bite! Basslines sound awesome on it. Either way I am glad they do not overlap hardly as all (first impression)

Looks lovely along with my moog:

It will soon be joined by a mind D-550 as well!!! This weekend I am going to install VST editor for all my rack synths. can't wait.
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I had the same problem with my Code8; after a few attempts it fit in my rack, but I was almost about to give up... I had like 8 other synths in the rack, so finding that rackmount stuff can differ in width was a bit shocking.
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
lol, of course i took the wood off. I was going to write that but didn't think anyone would assume that.the rack ears fit flawlessly and are flush with the metal sides, using the short screws.
I rackmount my prophet08 in a LARGE rack (a 20+ unit beast).

SOMETIMES, when it's already almost full, adding a module becomes difficult because the modules add rigidity to the whole rack.

The racks usually have some slack, which allows for the odd detail in the rack ears to slip in effortless. This slack dimishes with the number of items you screw in.

Try slightly loosening the screws on the lower and upper modules above and below the prophet, insert the new module, then tighten everything again.

Time-consuming, but could solve the problem.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
yea see that was my thought to begin with, the other gear was changing the rack slightly. My PC alone must weigh 75 pounds at the bottom and it sticks out like 8 inches from the back. the slim phatty weighs like 2 pounds.

what finally worked was loosening the 4 screws on the edge of the faceplate of the prophet, which allowed the metal tabs behind the face that the rack ears were connected to to adjust a bit. hard to explain but if you look at it you will see. even then i had to push it in and complete the fit with all of the screws. i bet there is a lot of tension in there.

maybe i will now loosen all of the rack screws of the units above and below and let them settle then tighten a bit later
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

A little off-topic, but is your PC from endpcnoise.com?

If so, how do you like it? Is it as quiet as they claim?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
thanks i will check that out!

I love it so far!!! I was sketchy on buying one because I already have a poly evolver, but honestly they sound a lot different. I will report back once I have a chance to get used to it. I spent a ton of time installing it today, plus I installed a new midi (had to go back to motu, the best) interface and another monster power supply today so i am now exhausted. Figure i will paint the room green and take in the vibe with some music listening for now.

I am thinking so far I like the prophet better than the poly evolver though! I thought it was going to be very brassy but it's really warm and smooth, but has a lot of bite! Basslines sound awesome on it. Either way I am glad they do not overlap hardly as all (first impression)

It will soon be joined by a mind D-550 as well!!! This weekend I am going to install VST editor for all my rack synths. can't wait.
it's a wonderful synth... definitely check out those patches. looks great in your rack too!

here is a 30 minute audio demo of the patches; he plays through each one of them:

Prophet 08 Patches For Sale Full 256 set! - YouTube

he did a fine job here; there is a plethora of pads, fx, basses, leads, sequenced stuff, everything... i'm telling you, i find myself using them with minimall editing at best. you can also deconstruct the patches and it gives you great insight into the capabilities of the synth and how it all comes together.

i challenge anyone who says the P08 sounds like a plasticky VST to replicate the sounds here with their computer.

here is the link to the DSI thread:

DSI / Prophet Forum :: Log in

...i was off on the price; looks like they are about $25 US.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Anyone who says it sounds like a VST is r3tarded plain and simple. It's just simply untrue X100. You can like it or not, but it doesn't sound like a VST at all.

I was jammin out today with this chorus plugin inserted on it and it sounded PHAT AS HELL!!! Not that it's needed but it's cool to try!
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
very cool, i sometimes use the reverb+chorus effect on my 01v-96 with it and it's just brilliant. it sounds great dry, but goes just wonky wonderful with that "auxxed" in.
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I wasn't impressed with them patches. I thought the free ones that are meant to resemble the old prophet were a lot more usable.

anyone using a outboard step sequencer to control their prophet?
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
have to be honest not feeling those patches too much either lol - maybe down the line i will check them

he says the goal is to get away from 80s cheese, but i love 80s cheese. to each their own!
Old 19th September 2012
Deleted 60622ed
I found some good "pay what you want" patches online..Ill try to find the link, some nice leads and basses

Im more of a tweaker than programmer so they suit me fine..I have the others and freebies too

Im using the SE vst editor though the latest update is giving me a little lag when recording to audio in Live...I just overdub so theres a work around...other than that it works pretty well

I think the prophet and slim phatty work really well together...I use the Little phatty presets in the slim too...some great taurus basses

recently I added a T1 and a blofeld...for such a small budget Im in synth heaven...hope you enjoy them too (the prophet gets played the least...I need to give it more attention)

Edit: this is the link...theyre called trance patches, but I wouldnt call them that...http://www.alanmarcero.com/
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i want to install the editor this weekend, hope it works good! lag sounds VERY BAD!!! that's my number 1 pet peve.
Deleted 60622ed
Quote:
i want to install the editor this weekend, hope it works good! lag sounds VERY BAD!!! that's my number 1 pet peve.
Ive only tried it in Live and its only when you only arm audio for recording...If you arm the midi track as well and overdub its fine...I dont think previous versions of the editor did this so it could just be a bug...or Live...or me....or gremlins
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak260 ➑️
it's a wonderful synth... definitely check out those patches. looks great in your rack too!

here is a 30 minute audio demo of the patches; he plays through each one of them:

Prophet 08 Patches For Sale Full 256 set! - YouTube

he did a fine job here; there is a plethora of pads, fx, basses, leads, sequenced stuff, everything... i'm telling you, i find myself using them with minimall editing at best. you can also deconstruct the patches and it gives you great insight into the capabilities of the synth and how it all comes together.

i challenge anyone who says the P08 sounds like a plasticky VST to replicate the sounds here with their computer.

here is the link to the DSI thread:

DSI / Prophet Forum :: Log in

...i was off on the price; looks like they are about $25 US.
Reminds me why I never liked the P08. The patches seems to be mostly atonal noice stuff, lacking the reason to have an analog synth. It sounds like what One gets from the Pulse when making random patches. I guess we all have different references.
Old 19th September 2012
Deleted 8456dd3
Its usually the screws that make rack units too wide for the rack, the trick is usually to get one side in and then the other, rather than try to get both in together.. obvious i know but thought id mention it
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i think there is a reason the prophet gets some hate besides the sound. is it because it was the first new analog poly? like, it hasn't paid it's dues, and a lot people who don't know much about vintage own it...so it's like the "newb" that the old heads don't like.

human nature is the damnedest thing, and i think there is more at work for the prophet 08 haters than the sound itself.
πŸ“ Reply