Quantcast
Best Echo/Space Effects - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Echo/Space Effects
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Best Echo/Space Effects

Hi, newb posting here. I'm looking around for a good effects unit for stuff like reverb, echo, tape delay just general spaceiness and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I'd thought about getting something simple like the korg mini KP as a good jumping in point, dunno if anyone has a view on this. Hit me up with some suggestions. Haven't really thought about budget. But I am a student just to let you know.

Cheers
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cream of the crop is the Roland RE-501 (tape delay, spring reverb and chorus in one unit). Or if u don't care for the chorus get the classic RE-201.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Actually I didn't liked the RE-501 because it sound really clean compared to the RE-201.

Cheap, but really good vst plugin: ValhallaÜberMod: $50 – ValhallaDSP

Cheap, but simple BBD Delay: Analog Synth | Ribbon Synth | Korg Monotrons

One of the best stompboxes around: strymon » TimeLine – Multidimensional Delay Effects – Delay Pedal
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I want to second what Veck said about the Monotron Delay.At 39€ it is a cheap, fun "toy" that you'll definitely enjoy.No reverb albeit you can imitate spring reverberation using fast delay times.If you want to go software then the options are countless.It may depend on your computer's OS though.I've heard very very good things about the new PSP delay plugin but my guess is it won't come cheap.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Eventide Space, look no more
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Strymon Bluesky & Strymon El Capistan
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Line 6 Echo Park is pretty cheap and works well on synth, but Strymon is better.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Eventide Clockworks H949

Ursa Major Space Station
Old 19th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I use my strymon timeline for these types of effects, and it's great! It's very versatile, and the tape delay setting provides excellent emulation. The dTape machine on the timeline is supposed to emulate an echoplex as opposed to roland tape delay, but I think it will get you where you need to go regardless. Had to save up a bit, but worth every penny
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I usually use an Electro Harmonix Memory Boy. Though I am also very fond of the Electro Harmonix 16 Second Digital Delay.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veck ➡️
Actually I didn't liked the RE-501 because it sound really clean compared to the RE-201.
I had a RE-501 before and was very happy with it.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It depends how you want to use it eg. do you want stereo in-out, st. out or 1ch in-out will cover all your needs? I like strymon fx, i think el capistan is great 1ch in 2ch out delay pedal, it sounds bright and modern but at the same time very smooth, dynamic with nice "analog" feedback and dirtyness. Note that in el capistan you can dial in spring reverb together with the delays and stereo out will give you more spaceiness if you want it.

Monotron imho is a small BBD noisemaker, so you won't mind the hiss...(?)

EHX are kinda better for guitar, more midrangy not too dark (for BBD) not too bright or deep.

I m not familiar with KP but i guess not too much to tweak in the delay/reverb department, better demo the recommendations in this thread if you can.

jmho

Last edited by audslu; 19th September 2012 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: typo
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by audslu ➡️
It depends how you want to use it eg. do you want stereo in-out, st. out or 1ch in-out will cover all your needs? I like strymon fx, i think el capistan is great 1ch in 2ch out delay pedal, it sounds bright and modern but at the same time very smooth, dynamic with nice "analog" feedback and dirtyness. Note that in el capistan you can dial in spring reverb together with the delays and stereo out will give you more spaceiness if you want it.

Monotron imho is a small BBD noisemaker, so you won't mind the hiss...(?)

EHX are kinda better for guitar, more midrangy not too dark (for BBD) not too bright or deep.

I m not familiar with KP but i guess not too much to tweak in the delay/reverb department, better demo the recommendations in this thread if you can.

jmho
I prefere to mainly put the delay in mono (but reverb I stereo), especial tape delay simulations to give a wider sound with all reverbs, pads etc
Deleted 8456dd3
LOL yer good luck finding those for decent prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown23 ➡️
Eventide Clockworks H949

Ursa Major Space Station
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"best" echo/reverb and "budget" dont go well together im afraid.

best units are usually specialized and 1 or few tricks pony, and each carries a hefty price tag with em. so its impossible to get best of all that you listed, unless you have a budget of cpl of grand.

so for "student" budget i recommend going some kind of multi fx unit.. my favs under a grand are, from less to more expensive:

Boss SE70, Lexicon MPX1, Ensoniq DP4, Lexicon PCM80 or PCM81 with DualFX card, Eventide H3000,

for little more you could pair that with some sort of an analog delay unit like:

Boss DM300, EHX MemoryMan Deluxe, or for cheap MemoryBoy or MXR Carbon Copy.

tape echo: de facto standard is RE-201/301 series, but they arent cheap and buy only refurb machines. hard to fix if youre dont have a specialized tech. perhaps for you it be better to go with a good emulation like Strymon El Capistan or TimeLine..

*i only recommend tape echos to ppl who already have studios full of vintage gear and are familiar with the idea of maintenance, service etc etc. not for beginners i dare say.

strymon timeline plus space would be a nice (and small footprint) idea.. im not a fan of timefactor (too cold and unorganic)
Old 19th September 2012
Deleted User
The Boss RE-20 pedal is a descent RE-201 Clone (by the same company). Had one before and regret I sold it. Probably it will end up that I'll buy a new one again...
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Lexicon Vortex for far out crazy!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➡️
strymon timeline plus space would be a nice (and small footprint) idea.. im not a fan of timefactor (too cold and unorganic)
couldn't agree more...! get eventide space for reverb and strymon timeline for ultimate delay emulations or el capistan for the tape delay
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I voted for Strymon Timeline and Eventide Space.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet ➡️
I prefere to mainly put the delay in mono (but reverb I stereo), especial tape delay simulations to give a wider sound with all reverbs, pads etc
Just to be clear i was talking to the op not about RE-501 but anyway what you say is a good technic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord
so for "student" budget i recommend going some kind of multi fx unit.. my favs under a grand are, from less to more expensive:

Boss SE70, Lexicon MPX1, Ensoniq DP4, Lexicon PCM80 or PCM81 with DualFX card, Eventide H3000,

for little more you could pair that with some sort of an analog delay unit like:

Boss DM300, EHX MemoryMan Deluxe, or for cheap MemoryBoy or MXR Carbon Copy.

H3000? Students must be very wealthy were you come from!heh

I agree about timeline i m not a fan either, space on the other hand is pure evil.

Some other cheap alternatives are nanoverb2 which reverbs are great but the rest fx is poor/ok, the lexicon mx series, i d stay away from tce M300 plugins are better but tce m-one xl is good, kurweil rumour.... the later units also have spdif (like all rack boxes, mx series has also usb and sw editor in vst format) to use as send-return with soundcard.

Last edited by audslu; 20th September 2012 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: ..
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lexicon MPX-1 go for seriously "Cheap Student Money" and I think their of a Decent enough calibre, that would get you started for sure at around $200 or under! They are nice and quick to program, SPDIF and Analog, really a unit that never took off as the PCM's were everywhere, the MPX's were kinda relegated to "Live Sound" though the MXP-1 had the serious Mojo! a Roland SDE-330 would be a nice unit as well, not overly bright, though does many things well $250 ish?
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I actually like the sound of those cheap Byiang (or however-the-f*** it's spelled) delay pedals. It said it was analog, but it could actually be digital. Though it sounds analog to me. Nice delay time modulations when you turn the time knob in real time. It cost around $35.

Also I love using my DigiTech MSP4. I got it cheap for $45. It has some nice delays and reverbs. It also has gated reverb if I wanted to make cheesy 80s drums. heh
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The Roland SRV-3030, mainly a dedicated reverb box, has some fine delays, including some 3-D RSS effects. They can be had for under $300. Deep programming, and a dynamic feature that changes effects based on frequency, amplitude, MIDI note density, and other things.

And there's always an old reel to reel with a tape loop spliced in. Better yet, two of them!
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I tested the Strymon El Capistan and it sounded really good. I'm thinking of buying one since I don't dare to bring the RE-301 on the road.

If you are on a budget then check out older used stuff. I really like old digital delays/reverbs from the 80s early 90s since they color the sound in a very nice way. I feel that new stuff sounds a bit to clean. If I want clean then I can use software plugins.

Old used delays:
Korg SDD-1000/1200 or 2000
Yamaha D1500
DeltaLab ADM1020 Effectron
DeltaLab ADM1024 Effectron-II
Ibanez DM-1000

Old used reverbs/multi-Efx:
Yamaha REX-50
Alesis Midiverb 3 or 4
Dynacord DRP20 or DRP20X. (Real stereo processor, sounds warm and dark)
Yamaha SPX90 or SPX990

Chorus:
Boss CE-2 (analog chorus)
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin nowhow ➡️
I want to second what Veck said about the Monotron Delay.At 39€ it is a cheap, fun "toy" that you'll definitely enjoy.No reverb albeit you can imitate spring reverberation using fast delay times.If you want to go software ..
The Monotron delay IS software, it's digital delay Despite what all the adds suggest..
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
ValhallaDSP

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke ➡️
The Monotron delay IS software, it's digital delay Despite what all the adds suggest..
IIRC, the Monotron delay uses a PT2399 chip. Which is a digital delay, in that it has a shift register, A/D and D/A convertor...but I don't think that there is any software in there. The delay is hardwired to read out the data after a certain number of stages, just like a BBD. The only difference is that a BBD passes analog signals between its stages, and the PT2399 passes digital stages. Both have their delay time determined by an external clock.

The feedback path in the Monotron Delay is pure analog (and has an MS-10 type filter in the feedback path). In my experience, a digital delay can be made to sound much more analog if the feedback is fed through some analog stages before being sent back to the input.
Old 27th October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The Korg Mini KP is fun though you kind of have to live with the presets in there and the point is to have a hand free to mess with the pad live. If you don't have a hand free or are pretty particular with tweaking the sound rather than the more broad changes the pad gives you then it's not really ideal

I guess some units sound wonderful but just do a few things while others do a lot but just sound mediocre. One approach if you want spacey is to chain 2 or more units.

You started by mentioning hardware. Of course there are a lot of software options too.
Old 27th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Digitech PDS2000 is a fun double-wide floor effect with double pedals for effect on/off and capture. Two seconds max time but super-intuitive and barrels o' fun.
Old 27th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I like running sounds through my DSI MEK delay.

Instant 1970s
📝 Reply