Quantcast
How do u keep volume/dynamics tight when performing live? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do u keep volume/dynamics tight when performing live?
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How do u keep volume/dynamics tight when performing live?

Got a new collab album coming out and starting to get ready for shows.
Right now I'm in the process of experimenting with different setups but I'm wondering how other fellow artists get a good, fat, tight sound when hitting the road- what do u like to use, hardware or software, and how ?
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is going to depend above all on the instrumentation you're using live. If it's live keyboards, drums, bass, and vocals, with maybe some samples/backing tracks behind, then it's all about getting

1) a good mix: balance, eq, and compression of the parts
2) paying a lot of attention to the synth patches, i.e., making sure that the patch plays evenly over the velocity range and the note range
3) getting the samples/backing tracks to balance nicely with the rest, which is mostly about mixing and mastering the backing tracks appropriately.0

It's not easy to get this stuff right without the help of a sound engineer who can sit in front of the band and watch levels and processing and tweak things both at soundchecks and during performances.

I've struggled with this for years, with mixed success. This is one of the most difficult things about performing electronic music live, because you really need a nice, tight and balanced sound, in order to sound like real electronic music, but if you think about how much effort goes into a good mix when producing a recording, then think about recreating that live, in real time, it's tough. And there's the problem of changing band members etc. that only compounds the issue. If you can afford to enlist a good sound engineer to work with at rehearsals and shows, do that. If you can't, then just dedicate some rehearsal time to nothing but managing the mix, and try to set things up in such a way that you can recreate the rehearsal mix live and hopefully have someone on hand who can manage it for you at the show.

good luck,

-synthoid
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…