Quantcast
Master a demo mix - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Master a demo mix
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Master a demo mix

I just recently put together a dj demo mix and was wondering what the best way to master this was, to make it both loud and to also glue the mix points together nicely, so it sounds professional..?

I've heard some people mention to run the mix through Sony Sound Forge with Wavehammer. I just want to know how much limiting I should be looking for, because I realize the individual tracks are already mastered..
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If you use a DAW, its can be worth importing the mix into it and having a listen while watching the meters. Sometimes, if I hear an obvious volume drop or raise between tracks, I will use a bit of volume automation to level things out first. Then any limiter should be fine since you only want to shave a few db off the top and clamp down on any obvious lumpy bits.

Something a bit more esoteric like a plug un may be a bit smoother than the one that comes with the DAW, and sometimes something with 'character' can add a nice sense of consitency to the mix - try anything - but if wavehammer is the wavelab one it should be fine.

The only thing you can really do is push things while using your ears to listen to the transitions, but as soon as you hear any mushing going on, or any pumping, obviously back off.

However, sometimes some creative compression and limiting on a mix when done well can add a sense of smoothness to a mix, almost give it an 'on the radio feel' - I would like to know how people tackle commercial mixes.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundbass ➡️
If you use a DAW, its can be worth importing the mix into it and having a listen while watching the meters. Sometimes, if I hear an obvious volume drop or raise between tracks, I will use a bit of volume automation to level things out first. Then any limiter should be fine since you only want to shave a few db off the top and clamp down on any obvious lumpy bits.

Something a bit more esoteric like a plug un may be a bit smoother than the one that comes with the DAW, and sometimes something with 'character' can add a nice sense of consitency to the mix - try anything - but if wavehammer is the wavelab one it should be fine.

The only thing you can really do is push things while using your ears to listen to the transitions, but as soon as you hear any mushing going on, or any pumping, obviously back off.

However, sometimes some creative compression and limiting on a mix when done well can add a sense of smoothness to a mix, almost give it an 'on the radio feel' - I would like to know how people tackle commercial mixes.
thanks man for the help... I think I will just use my xenon limiter in ableton
📝 Reply