Quantcast
key compressing drum bus with kick - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
key compressing drum bus with kick
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
key compressing drum bus with kick

Does anyone here compress there drum bus with a compressor keyed to the kick rather than just having the compressor react to all of the elements in the bus? I just started messing with that today and I must say im liking the pumping effect of it. It feels smoother when the compressor isn't reacting to the clap/snare.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
bump
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If you do that its like you'd compress the kick...(at least if the kick always is "running" when also the key kick is running)...the only thing different is that the releas of the comp will affect the other elements to...

Certainly not the usual way to go...but if you like it and think it sounds good, why not!

cheers
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I usually do it the opposite way, compress the drum bus with SC around 90Hz so that the kick doesn't get compressed to much.

With most compressors you lose low end.
If you SC the low end, it stays almost untouched.

But i don't like the pumping effect, so it's a matter of taste.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Best thing to do is to key it to an invisible kick track that you don't hear. This way, your music pumps consistently, even when you take your drums out of the mix.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa ➑️
Best thing to do is to key it to an invisible kick track that you don't hear. This way, your music pumps consistently, even when you take your drums out of the mix.
yeah that's what im doing just making a ghost kick to trigger the bus comp. I find the kick drum low end is smoother when done this way, rather than have the clap/snare affect it.

Regarding EQing the low end back in: I find its hard to Eq the lost bottom end nicely as it always sounds different once compressed. That might be just me i dunno.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by backplay ➑️
I usually do it the opposite way, compress the drum bus with SC around 90Hz so that the kick doesn't get compressed to much.

With most compressors you lose low end.
If you SC the low end, it stays almost untouched.

But i don't like the pumping effect, so it's a matter of taste.
comps with a high pass side chain still affect the low end it just doesn't use that part of the signal as the input detection. High passing the input signal at 90hz would cause less low end pumping meaning a faster release time(Under 90hz would still be compressed). Your thinking of a multiband compressor.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…