Quantcast
What is the best synthesizer? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is the best synthesizer?
Old 4th October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The best synthesizer is this synth and groovebox from North Korea.
MATRIXSYNTH: North Korea to Make Synth / Groovebox

Word on the street in South Korea is that Psy tried to buy some from North Korea but Kim Jung Un turned him down. So he got Samsung to make him a copies of it. Next thing you know he has this hit song called Kangnam Style/Gangnam Style.

So I suggest you sell of your hardware and software synths now and try to buy this limited edition North Korean synthesizers and grooveboxes that everybody is trying to get their hands on. If you can get the real thing and not a copy, you can make a bigger hit than Kangnam style.
Old 4th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Just thought I'd check in. Delighted that my thread is still going and being enjoyed by new generations.

Now... what is the best drum?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessboy ➡️
Just thought I'd check in. Delighted that my thread is still going and being enjoyed by new generations.

DUH. The 909 drum of course!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessboy ➡️

This question is meaningless. There is no best. There is nothing that does everything.

What is your budget?

What is your preferred method? (analog, virtual analog, sample-based, other)

What do you already have?
Old 4th October 2012
Something you will learn from reading all threads is that the answer to your question is "it's highly subjective."
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by harness ➡️

this
Hahaha!! Niiiice!
Old 6th October 2012 | Show parent
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha ➡️
This question is meaningless. There is no best. There is nothing that does everything.
yes there is:

the GEAR synthesizer does 25 different kind of synthesis, it runs software on analogue discrete circuits, is portable and fully scalable. Its digital section runs on macOS, windows and linux at the user's request.

Rackmount version shown. Two-manual keyboard versions available in 61, 73, 76 and 88 weighted, semiweighted and unweighted formats.

Photos of the 64 sliders, 64 knobs, touchpad, 48" touhscreen panel available on request (they just don't fit into your computer screen, you loser!)

The "EX" version comes with a red button as well, for Universe-encompassing meta-Goedel and trans-Eisenberg sampling of the Whole.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
obviously this one:

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
[QUOTE=ozy;8331864]yes there is:

I see it's using the awesome-sounding Wavelength Division Multiplexing mode of synthesis too. I've hear that is the *only* way to get the best of analog combined with the best of digital. The effects are unreal.

Roland tried to apply it using PCM samples as the source, but failed miserably, as you'd expect.

Pete
Old 6th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=Psychlist1972;8332870]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy ➡️
yes there is:

I see it's using the awesome-sounding Wavelength Division Multiplexing mode of synthesis too. I've hear that is the *only* way to get the best of analog combined with the best of digital. The effects are unreal.

Roland tried to apply it using PCM samples as the source, but failed miserably, as you'd expect.

Pete
I'm mostly interested in whether the front panel finish comes in brushed pastry.
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 ➡️
"Unreal" doesn't even come close to describing it.

When you try paying for The G.E.A.R. Ex Synthesizer (OS release 2.1.1.9.3.2.1.34.5.1),

your credit card undergoes compression, expansion, limiting, phase shifting, pitch correction and tube emulation.

It's hard to explain this to the non-initiated, but:

you basically hear the giant sucking noise of youir bank account floundering in 5.1 surround.

And that's BEFORE you run the interest rate through the 24db ladder filter!

I am excited about getting one ASAP!
📝 Reply