google thinks
Oxymoron.

Google is

Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nznexus ➡️
The best questions are the ones that help us grow, there is not a best question.
Oh, well what is the best answer then ?

Also, i'd like to know what is the best best ?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman ➡️
Oh, well what is the best answer then ?

Also, i'd like to know what is the best best ?
The one that is better than the second-best answer.
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The one that is better than the second-best answer.
uhm...

in real life, second best is often the only choice
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy ➡️
uhm...

Really?
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
uhm...

Not anymore with the advent of DIGITAL synthesizers! Now you can have it all

ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav ➡️
Not anymore with the advent of DIGITAL synthesizers! Now you can have it all
now that you mention it...

... the Jupiter 80 has the same cheesy "pantone" livery as google...

Coincidence? I think not.

Quote:
Really?
Yes

The world is full of losers whose choice strategy is "oh, for me, it's the best or nothing!".

Can't be neurosurgeon? Dentist is not enough? Paramedic is too hard? He will quit pre-med, go directly to McDonald.

Failed to be a stockbroker and make millions fast? Becomes a cheap con man in the financial underworld, using the same suit and laptop.

"Wannabe Firsts", who started with the idea of making the front pages, and had celebrity as their only motive, often rank in the lowest place in the game of life.

Since there are 6.6 billion places in the human championship,

the guy quitting because he can't be immediately number #1 looks often like a terrible loser by comparison to the guy who correctly values his assets and deliberately chooses to strive for ending 2nd or 12th or 45th out of 6.6 billions.

Being capable of assessing one's qualities and place in the grand scheme of things is one of the keys to REAL success.

It generates great dads, great sidemen, great rhythm guitar players, great non commissioned officers, great coaches, great sound engineers, great dentists.

The dream of being a good #2 generated the 1980s' Compaq, the 1930s' General Motors, etc.

You wanna see losers who will owe their failure to the "#1" obsession?

Look at the people dreaming "to be Skrillex", in these pages, and who will become nothing at all.

On the contrary: check the "Forbes 500" lists. There's a resaon why "Forbes" doesn't compiles "Forbes 3" lists, and why it celebrates hundreds of "second bests"

Being 499 on that list makes for a NICE lifestyle
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years

ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Oxymoron.

Google is

Ha!....
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam ➡️
Ha!....

What is the best synthesizer?-lol.png
Attached Images
File Type: png lol.PNG (15.6 KB, 662 views)
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Best troll thread ever!
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am really getting this thread. If we can just find the answer we can close off this whole sub forum¡
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuper ➡️
I am really getting this thread. If we can just find the answer we can close off this whole sub forum¡
ok, so we've currently got:

a) one thread which risks subsuming all othet threads and close the forum

(indeed, close the internet for good, because in the process we are defining the meaning of "better" and "best" and settling more or less any question ever asked on the web)

b) another thread which risks engulfing the whole Universe PLUS some healty amount of dark matter, dark energy and black holes.

c) a third thread, where most GS users declare, under the headline "day job": "unemployed" or "wannabe DJ" (with two minority components of architects and lawyers and only a handful of competent people with a real job: sewage supervisors, soldiers, one doctor and one paramedic...)

How are a) and b) possible when c) is true?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
now that you mention it...

Yes

The world is full of losers whose choice strategy is "oh, for me, it's the best or nothing!".

I am the king of this world.
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I am the king of this world.
I don't want to start a discussion here, these are very personal issues, which touch personal sensitivities and self-respect. No material for trolling.

Just take my idea and try verifying it in private, talking to yourself.

How old are you?

20? 25? Then you are perfectly right in dreaming the top, whatever you do. Try, make mistakes, fail restart. You have plenty of time in the music industry.

40? 50? 55? still dreaming to be "the best" but you are not yet anywhere near there? --> loser, w#nk#r

30/35? May I suggest you to think about it?

What did you accomplish by now?

How far are you from the "absolute top"?

How much time did you give yourself to reach the "absolute top"?

How many backsteps and detours and gap years did you get?

So: is time for dreaming, or for being objective and adjusting targets?

I know I have been "among the best" in my job for some time: next I assessed my talent and went for "doing the best with what I have".

I made a decorated colonel, not a general, nor a secretary of defense or prime minister. Above all, I didn't waste my time dreaming the latter, and doing a bad job at the former.

I played for long years, some years at the top in MY league, then I became a coach who does very good in HIS category.

I didn't spend ONE SECOND trying to get to be the yankees' manager.

At college level I do a good job, I innovate, I win, I teach younger coaches, I will leave good memories and help talents blossom. I see my players get calls from top teams when the time is ripe, and their top-notch coaches respecting my opinion.

In a different league I would have been a mediocrity, or nobody at all.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't want to start a discussion here, these are very personal issues, which touch personal sensitivities and self-respect. No material for trolling.

Just take my idea and try verifying it in private, talking to yourself.

How old are you?

20? 25? Then you are perfectly right in dreaming the top, whatever you do. Try, make mistakes, fail restart. You have plenty of time in the music industry.

40? 50? 55? still dreaming to be "the best" but you are not yet anywhere near there? --> loser, w#nk#r

30/35? May I suggest you to think about it?

What did you accomplish by now?

How far are you from the "absolute top"?

How much time did you give yourself to reach the "absolute top"?

How many backsteps and detours and gap years did you get?

So: is time for dreaming, or for being objective and adjusting targets?

I know I have been "among the best" in my job for some time: next I assessed my talent and went for "doing the best with what I have".

I made a decorated colonel, not a general, nor a secretary of defense or prime minister. Above all, I didn't waste my time dreaming the latter, and doing a bad job at the former.

I played for long years, some years at the top in MY league, then I became a coach who does very good in HIS category.

I didn't spend ONE SECOND trying to get to be the yankees' manager.

At college level I do a good job, I innovate, I win, I teach younger coaches, I will leave good memories and help talents blossom. I see my players get calls from top teams when the time is ripe, and their top-notch coaches respecting my opinion.

In a different league I would have been a mediocrity, or nobody at all.
give me a hug
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Buy this ... nobody needs Synths anymore ... people start throwing them away already
Old 20th September 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
5 stars out of 5, must be good!

Respectfully disagree about age. I get your point but IMO it's very personal. I've known dudes that tried really hard to be "mature" at 21, and succeeded, since they had the body and mindset of 60 year olds at 30. sure they had a high carreer job, ferraris, houses and whatever.. but what's there to enjoy, if you're so jaded that you think you've seen it all?
Even if that's the case and you did see a lot, it's IMO imperative to renew your experience. I think it's determined genetically..
otoh I'm lucky enough to know a couple of people that don't age much. they're "stuck" at 25 something. yes, they get more experience, wrinkles, but their core is still full of 25 year old energy.
oh but I hear you think; the music industry demands young blood. 30 is WAYYY too old.
well, screw the industry. it's about "celebrity fame" and not about "the best music".
so... IMHO do what ever teh f*ck you want, never let other ppl. tell you what to do.
Anyway, that's my personal idea about it. Do with it what you want.
Here's the keyboard that goes with it.

Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seqai ➡️
I've reconsidered my reply.
You should definitely get Crumar Stratus. Don't even think about anything else.
Just get Crumar Stratus. It's the best one.
Ahhhh..... the Stratus was my first synth back in 1984. Good times.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
**** just got serious.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

This is such a good point. If you have ever seriously given Reaktor a shot you will agree that its possibilities goes beyond any other synth. In the end it's just ones and zeros of computer language so if you want something done properly, you should know how to do it from scratch, it's more ethical.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The obvious answer to the original question is....iPad.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Or the most beautiful girl in the gearslutz forum

Wait, theres girls on this forum???!!! Show me, Now.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebelfrau ➡️
The Yamaha GX1, duh. CS-80? GET REAL!
It has a wave motion switch! I bet it pops up a targeting scope and trigger too. Must have this now.

Pete
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabGear ➡️
The overwhelming favorite is the Roland Juno 60. Good alternatives would be the Juno 6 or Juno 106.
I've never understood the big appeal of the Juno 106 today. I had one when I was in high school (actually an HS-60, which was basically the same, but with speakers). To get anything fat out of it, you had to use the chorus. The chorus was nice, but when you use it, every sound ends up with the same texture.

Super easy to use, though.

If just nostalgia, I can get that.

Pete
Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Or the most beautiful girl in the gearslutz forum
I bet there is no women in gearslutz!
Old 1st October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
You'll want to refer to this thread:
https://gearspace.com/board/electron...ur-buchla.html
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk23 ➡️
I bet there is no women in gearslutz!
No. Not yet. theyare still very far away.
Lives for gear

The question is not so off the wall if you add "at any given moment during a production". That is, what is the best synthesizer for creating this or that particular sound.

In that respect the question is one that everyone with multiple synths asks themselves very time they set out to add a part to a production.

So, for instance, if you want a strong, saw tooth based bass sound with significant resonance - i.e. a Moog bass sound, well then the best synth at the moment is a Moog - either a Mini or a Voyager will be the best.

Now lets say you want to add some synth power chords to that. Well then, maybe the best in that situation is an Oberheim OBxa or maybe a Jupiter 8.

Now you want to add some swishy, ethereal pads. Okay maybe a Virus is the best now.

Notice this is all hardware.

maybe now you want some deep electronic sounds to construct a classic electronic sound scape, probably an EMS is going to do this better than anything else or, of course a modular.

You may also consider that a great modular with polyphony and a good assortment of oscillators and filters might be the best overall for all of these sounds but it will really depend on the modules on offer.

Also, consider ease of use and speed, "work flow" as it is sometimes referred to herein. The ready made models are going to be better for this and the above listed will be the "best" choices.

So ultimately, the question should be "HOW DO I CHOOSE THE BEST SYNTH FOR ANY GIVEN MUSICAL SITUATION?"

All of a sudden the question is not so silly.

It may well have been a tongue in cheek question but ultimately its not quite so bizarre.
📝 Reply