HELP! Do I need new headphones? KNS8400 vs K702/DT990 Pro - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HELP! Do I need new headphones? KNS8400 vs K702/DT990 Pro
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
HELP! Do I need new headphones? KNS8400 vs K702/DT990 Pro

Hello!

I've recently moved into a 1 bedroom unit with my girlfriend and believe it or not she doesn't enjoy listening to the same couple of seconds of music over and over again as I tweak small parts of a track or mixdown

I've had some KRK KNS8400's for a month or 2 now and for the most part I'm happy with them, but I keep reading that if I want to mix down and produce seriously with headphones I need an open-back design (I know good headphones aren't the complete answer and I'll still be referencing with my KRK RP5 G2's & Logitechs for translation) I've recently got a job so I have a bit of cash to spend, at the moment I'm tossing up between AKG K702's and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro's, my limit is around $450 and they'll be driven by a NI Komplete Audio 6 until I can get a decent headphone amp and I'll still use my KRK phones aswell to (hopefully) compliment them.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Last edited by samwell7; 17th September 2012 at 12:34 PM..
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Ordered a pair of AKG K702's from my local store and a prebuilt o2 headphone amp from jdslabs, If anybody was wondering/has any feedback on the new set up would appreciate it!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 27th September 2012
mir
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Happy user of K702 + O2 headphone amp here
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i don't believe an open-back design is going to make any difference as far as headphones are concerned. i'd be more concerned with their frequency response and harmonic distortion, etc. an open-back design isn't going to inherently allow you to mix better.
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma ➑️
i don't believe an open-back design is going to make any difference as far as headphones are concerned. i'd be more concerned with their frequency response and harmonic distortion, etc. an open-back design isn't going to inherently allow you to mix better.
Yeah you're right, I was just told/read that open back designs have a flatter response because closed backs usually have some sort of resonance somewhere in the low-mids to bass due to their enclosure.

Old 28th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir ➑️
Got my 702's yesterday all I can say is wow, they're excellent!.
my amp still hasn't arrived, tracking says its still in Chicago :( I'm just running it through the headphone output of my interface and they already sound good, can't wait for the amp.
Have you upgraded headphone cable or are you using the one it came with?

Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
mir
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwell7 ➑️
Got my 702's yesterday all I can say is wow, they're excellent!.
my amp still hasn't arrived, tracking says its still in Chicago :( I'm just running it through the headphone output of my interface and they already sound good, can't wait for the amp.
Have you upgraded headphone cable or are you using the one it came with?

I'm using the stock cable, works perfectly. I recommend you to do some research whether upgrading stock headphone cable really makes any audible difference. A good start might be this article - http://www.matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm ...

I read many claims like "this particular cable adds greater definition to low-end and mid frequencies, does better stereo imaging and so on..." - at the end of the day, it always turns out to be just another overpriced scam and from physical point of view, pure nonsense.
Old 30th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm using the stock cable, works perfectly. I recommend you to do some research whether upgrading stock headphone cable really makes any audible difference. A good start might be this article - http://www.matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm ...

I read many claims like "this particular cable adds greater definition to low-end and mid frequencies, does better stereo imaging and so on..." - at the end of the day, it always turns out to be just another overpriced scam and from physical point of view, pure nonsense.
Thanks! I'll check that article because I've read heaps of people saying basically exactly that, or saying that it improves the transient response (not that its easy to notice) and that it improves soundstage.
Can't wait til my amp rocks up,
is it bad I've been burning them in with the headphone output of my interface?

Edit: hahahah that article is awesome. Its good to take a step back from what we should think is good and actually listen for ourselves.
Old 30th September 2012
mir
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I've once fully believed that "burn-in phenomenon" is something of a mechanical process happening inside headphones.

While there are some documented observations that mechanical burn-in can exist (Innerfidelity has some good articles on this topic), now I consider burn-in to be process of human's ears adaptation to the specific sound signature of either headphones or speakers.

I've needed some time to get accustomed to the K702's sound signature, the same happened with my monitor speakers.

So enjoy your time to get to know them - K702s are "tough" but wonderfull headphones
Old 30th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I've never thought of it like that!
Thanks, I can tell they need a bit of getting used to but I think that's a good thing.
Thanks for all your help :thumbup:

Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Me too now!!
The amp finally rocked up, loving it so far.

everything sounds more seperated in the stereo image, the amp is crazy powerful. I've only got the input signal at around 70%, the amp on low gain and the volume about a 3rd of the way up and it's probably too loud.
Bass sounds sweet, everything sounds good.

really happy with it!
Old 9th October 2012 | Show parent
mir
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwell7 ➑️
Me too now!!
The amp finally rocked up, loving it so far.

everything sounds more seperated in the stereo image, the amp is crazy powerful. I've only got the input signal at around 70%, the amp on low gain and the volume about a 3rd of the way up and it's probably too loud.
Bass sounds sweet, everything sounds good.

really happy with it!
I'm glad you're happy with the combo, they're wonderful headphones

Do you think you can help me with KRK KNS-8400s - if you can compare them to K702s, what do you think? What are their pros/cons? You can PM me if you want, I am considering getting them, but I'm not sure how they compare to K702s...
Old 9th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
why the k702 and not the k701? the k702 is more expensive here but both sound identical from what i have read on forums, is it true?
Old 9th October 2012 | Show parent
mir
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract ➑️
why the k702 and not the k701? the k702 is more expensive here but both sound identical from what i have read on forums, is it true?
Afaik, they should be identical, only K702 having detachable cable.
Old 9th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Question for you guys... I currently just plug my Beyerdynamic DT-880s (250 ohm) straight into the headphone out of my mixing desk. Only need to turn it about 10% and it's damn loud.

Are lots of other mixers much queiter than mine or something (and therefore require a headphone amp to use them)?
Or would using a heaphone amp actually improve the quality of the sound?
Old 9th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
dt880's over the 990's definitely.
Old 9th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk ➑️
Question for you guys... I currently just plug my Beyerdynamic DT-880s (250 ohm) straight into the headphone out of my mixing desk. Only need to turn it about 10% and it's damn loud.

Are lots of other mixers much queiter than mine or something (and therefore require a headphone amp to use them)?
Or would using a heaphone amp actually improve the quality of the sound?
I was using the headphone output on my interface and the volume was definitely loud enough. After I got the headphone amp though I did notice better bass response, better separation in the instruments and the soundstage did sound better. I can't think of the technical terminology but they feel like they have more 'juice' haha, it might also be a bit in my head but I definitely feel I can crank them more since I've got the amp

Old 9th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm glad you're happy with the combo, they're wonderful headphones

Do you think you can help me with KRK KNS-8400s - if you can compare them to K702s, what do you think? What are their pros/cons? You can PM me if you want, I am considering getting them, but I'm not sure how they compare to K702s...
Sent you a PM!

Old 9th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by divemedia ➑️
dt880's over the 990's definitely.
I ended up getting the k702's but I'm always looking to get more haha, why the 880's?

πŸ“ Reply