The "let's share our Keith McMillen QUNEO experiences" thread - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The "let's share our Keith McMillen QUNEO experiences" thread
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The "let's share our Keith McMillen QUNEO experiences" thread

Ok queno slutz

Let's begin the QUNEO gearslutz thread. The keith McMillen forum seems a bit "poor" for the moment.
I find it lacks some really basic tutorials like "how to start from scratch" with ableton live and build our own basic template...
The tutorials have helped me to set up a few things but there is still a lack of information imo.
It features nice videos of professional programmed template (it seems for a few of them).
I have finally receive my unit after months of long wait.
I have spent all day yesterday trying to play quneo alongside live 8 (64 beta). I have succeeded in doing a few things but sometimes i become crazy too. It seems that i'm not able to configure it as i really want. I have tried all modes, tested the Quneo editor, read 100x the manual but I find it lacks "from scratch exemples" somewhere for the queno beginner.

So i propose that in this thread we share everything related to our experiences with it.
I'll keep on working with it today and try to figure a few things more.

Yesterday i have become crazy to make the led pad flash correctly. I had to create a midi track receiving midi from drum rack and sending its output to quneo (i did this instinctively...but have seen this nowhere in manual nor elsewhere btw...i even don't know if it's right to do it so. (everything is set properly in preference and midi sync, this i'm sure)

For exemple:
The drum rack received midi from queno in order i can play the pads as well (which is logical)....i'm confused a bit with midi channels to use....i have tried them all...and the corresponding leds change place on the quneo depending with midi channel is used.... (is there a midi loop back somewhere maybe?)
I know how to configure a set up and had pretty few problems with my gears for years before the quneo...it seems it will take a bit more time to learn than expected...I thought it was bit more intuitive.

I don't understand why for instance when i play the first pad below left on the queno...which triggers my c1 drum rack pad ....doesn't correspond to the same led when the midi from drum rack send midi info to the quneo in order the right pad flashes.

Hopefully i mss something here and will be able to set up all this properly in a few times....

Drum mode / grid mode (step seq)....let's talk about our findings

I propose that if someone has a proper working setup...he could write here the procedure in order we can reproduce it.

Hopefully a few slutz will be interested by this thread.

Best

Senso
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A few new findings:

1. It is said to be normal that (even not logical for me) the midi notes played in ableton making the pads flash on the queno aren't the same that the pads triggering the same sound in drum rack for instance...
As a maschine user i was expecting something quite similar...I guess i still need experiment and a find a way to do this...I have found in the manual the relationship between midi sent from live and pad led flashing on the quneo. C-2 from midi host----> first pad flashes....and so on.

2. There is no script to make a row pad to make step sequencer "read line" moving accross the pads....there is a trick for this.

I keep on experimenting...I keep on...
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have a kmi softstep and hang out in their forums, they make some amazing hardware, but they could really do with some better editing software. The softstep editor takes up almost 1g ram to run. Seems like the activity in the quneo section of their forums i starting to pick up, i would drop a post over there and see if any other users have a handle on some of its basics
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
mfx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
INteresting thread. Got mine two weeks ago, installed the latest software update and the presets cleared so be warned.

Haven;t worked out how to load up the presets. Saying that I need to set it up for Cubase and a mixture of soft synths, external midi and effects for midi control.

When in standby, in other words plugged into PC, PC on and Quneo of do any lights illuminate. Both the dials on mine appear to trigger lights even though units off and no midi programs running? And continues with PC off but plugged into main?

Regarding the software I believe it's open source so hopefully some enthusiatic individual or developer will come up with a fresh gui and interface ideas/software uses.

Look forward to some people sharing templates

Peace
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey mfx,

same situation here....only way for me is to shut down computer totally or pull out the usb cable.

I'm gonna try soon to make something for microtonic 3...we'lle see how i can manage this
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Is it as ugly in real life as it is in the rainbow pad pictures?
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Matter of taste...I do love my quneo leds a lot... specially in a dark room

No need for christmas tree anymore...full advantage heh
Old 26th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
What DAW are you guys using for your QuNeos? Ableton Live? I've been finding Logic pretty awkward to use in terms of mapping, and often times it seems to respond to a pad or slider one minute, and the next, nothing.
Old 4th November 2012
mfx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any users got some news to share - Im sufferring and it's sitting looking pretty, not a lot more!

:(
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well after a few weeks of use....I can say this unit....is absolutely a really great piece of hardware

Can be frightening in the beginning....but once used to it....it's a breeze to use..

I use it alongside cubase 7 now....I use the quick controls of cubase that i remote with quneo....

Just tried it with permut8 from soniccharge....wow and wow....
Old 12th December 2012 | Show parent
mfx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensorychaos ➑️
Well after a few weeks of use....I can say this unit....is absolutely a really great piece of hardware

Can be frightening in the beginning....but once used to it....it's a breeze to use..

I use it alongside cubase 7 now....I use the quick controls of cubase that i remote with quneo....

Just tried it with permut8 from soniccharge....wow and wow....
Permut8 looks very good tempted to demo, however still need funds for Cytomics Drop and upcoming slate console so moneys tight (let alone the silly price for Cubase7 upgrade).

Are you using a standard template, to be honest I am struggling with Quneo and need to get some time focused on it. I may have misunderstood but is it not the COMA mode that works best when configuring and there is not way to save various setting s in coma mode? I may be talking out of my arse, but the coma mode is what I was expecting and on release of Quneo it appears not to be fully supported?
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Mfx bro,
not sure to understand your coma mode problem....
No I don't use templates...except the one from twisted tools for scapes and s-layer.
As it is a multitouch (per pad) controller...it is important quneo sends the right cc information to the right destinations....
If not done properly the quneo and remoted application won't talk well together for evident reasons...
I simply use coma mode when i want a pad to be able to send for instance pressure, velocity and note information in the same time on different parameters for instance....Just enter coma mode, learn which part of the slider or pad has to be pushed in coma mode in order the right information (pressure, x/y ...) is linked properly to the midi learnt vsti, fx, daw parameter you want to assign. Done.
Working like a charm in LIVE and CUBASE. (64 bit as well)

By the way....It's fully working also when live is rewired to cubase....I just deactivate quneo midi I/O in cubase and activate it in Live....It's even possible to remote cubase in the same time with another controller like maschine without any particular trick....Just route muidi I/O properly in both daw. Done.
Old 31st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quneo

Okay... Check out what I was able to create with the Quneo. Please let me know what you think.

School with Quneo by "Infinite Sinewave" (Mister Way) - YouTube

Demian
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
mfx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitesinewave ➑️
Okay... Check out what I was able to create with the Quneo. Please let me know what you think.

School with Quneo by "Infinite Sinewave" (Mister Way) - YouTube

Demian
Loving the track and video, veru nice.

...is there a little light hacking going on under the hood?
Old 3rd February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
No hacking

I just made the midi track "play" the drawings. No hacking.

Demian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmCU7svjXg4

Last edited by infinitesinewave; 4th February 2013 at 05:20 AM.. Reason: No body in my original post
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Any new opinions on this, regrets, wins, indifference ? I'm about to pull the trigger on one this week.
Old 12th July 2013
mfx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A tually I was going to sell mine but the latest update has implemented the x y axis for touch control with the pressure for z on the pads. Making
it versatile for wxpression on plugins like alchemy. Hopefully try this weekend and feedback if I get time.
Old 16th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx ➑️
A tually I was going to sell mine but the latest update has implemented the x y axis for touch control with the pressure for z on the pads. Making
it versatile for wxpression on plugins like alchemy. Hopefully try this weekend and feedback if I get time.
So did you try the XY function ? Is is smooth like on a trackpad, or at least like the Korg minikontrol ?
Old 16th July 2013 | Show parent
mfx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman ➑️
So did you try the XY function ? Is is smooth like on a trackpad, or at least like the Korg minikontrol ?
Hi Spaceman. Unfortunately no, I really haven't had the chance. 30 degree heat where I am which is unusual, so not had the motivation to dig it out and have a play. Sorry. Will do at some stage, but may just sling it on ebay next week. I've a new born and just not getting the time to play and explore...going back over old projects at the moment to be honest.

Hopefully someone else can pipe in and share some love

Peace
Old 4th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I've had a 50/50 experience with them. The Quneo was in no way user friendly out of the box, even with the massive amount of presets they included. It frustrated me that thy had advertised capabilities (like VU metering) it wasn't autonomously capable of.

Then, the physical texture of elements made them almost impossible to use. Noticeably the vertical faders and the crossfader have been effected. After inquiring quite a few times in their forum, with no response even AFTER a service ticket, I piggy backed on someone else's post that was having the same problem. The tech was involved in this post, and so I directly asked him what the OFFICIAL word was, and also about cleaning and care. I got a kind of passive aggressive response.

Along those lines, I remember that when purchasing my Quneo and going to the KM forums for the first time, there was a post by a (the?) mod and he was very angry about all the **** talking done about him. I don't remember if anything else came of it.

These days, I use my Quneo all the time. I primarily use Ableton, but I also use it to control my Korg Microstation, MPC Elements, and Massive, and in all scenarios I am able to accomplish everything I want to with very much ease. I love the product now, but wouldn't really vouch for the company.

(Incidentally, it irked me when they came out with that keyboard thing and then the wireless functionality for the Quneo when we the paying customers were not getting the experience promised to us.) (Oh well.)
Old 16th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I've been letting mine collect dust until recently.

I got the Launchpad emulation to work, eventually. The manuals and videos seem hard to understand in regards to explaining the grid mode presets and templates. Like some important procedure is left so vague by just a word or sentence that is missing, or the syntax assumes you know something that shouldn't need explaining.

I was thinking all I need is an Ableton Live project with clips that demonstrate the sequencing and a custom preset in quneo to learn how to use grid mode and found the Quneodemo. Switch the LED SEQ midi to: Ch. 2. But the notes don't match the impulse drum rack. On channel 3, preset 6, you have to move the notes in the LED Sequencer clip to get flashes.So now I am getting somewhere
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi! Do you know how to get the "VU metering" on the two bottom left vertical leds with Ableton Live?
Thanks!
Old 8th October 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
QuNeo with LogicX, Thumbs Up!

Hi all, I am totally digging the QuNeo. Here's a video of using the Logic Template that comes with the QuNeo templates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW3j...oP4vhcRz5h-QEg

Lemme know what you think.
Old 8th December 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Great @ subblack , but I sure wish you narrated what you were doing
a little more, maybe showed the screen at the same time.

I agree that the Quneo docs are miserable. You want to create
a complex template but you realize you're confused about the most basic
data transfers you need to do a lot of. It's discouraging. Most unfortunate.

Fender did a similar thing with their Mustang app, where you program the amp.
A lot of people get confused and give up.

Quneo is great but either you must make your own presets, OR you
must internalize someone else's and at a very deep level.

So I'm hoping you do a more explanatory vid some day.
Old 1st April 2017
Here for the gear
I've bought my Keith McMillen Quneo yesterday I use it to mute and select tracks on my sequencer (which must be done by sending a certain value to a fixed CC)...

After seeing these video's it made a little sense things finally made sense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9hb...cVNO35FQQUVAFe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRKJ...cVNO35FQQUVAFe

The loopback of the led midi message is still a thing though
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thinking about my Quneo experience (as a Kickstarter backer) just makes me grouchy. I guess that was 5 years ago now? Yeesh. Let it be known that this is the only piece of gear I can think of that I ever returned (for not really working to control external hardware properly as advertised and poor level of support).

I'd kind of forgot about it after that point..
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i dug mine out last night , trying to set things up to tweak a tr8 , now looking at converter boxes (though this isnt unique to any usb based controller)
i had a look around their forums , they seem very quiet , even in responding to recent questions about kmix , their current flag ship product.

the editor isnt so straightforward , though its probably down to how flexible it is .
ive had it for over a year , apart from trying it when i bought it, ive used it very little.
πŸ“ Reply