Making music with nothing but samples - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Making music with nothing but samples
Old 17th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Making music with nothing but samples

Hi Guys,

I have been working at producing for only a little while now and wanted some advice around making music exclusively using nothing but samples.

Having no music knowledge at all, I like the way you can work towards building a track using nothing but samples on a sampler or a step sequencer. I am not into Multi samples, as such and I really like and prefer oneshots you know.

I have had some success around making electronic music this way, However just want to know is it totally possible to build a track using nothing but ripped samples from my record collection and purchased samples only? I have a feeling I know the answer, but just want some reassurance.

I am not really into soft synths, and as I said already I have no Idea how to write music using a piano roll or keyboard. Yes I know, learn or study music, but I don't want to as it does my head in and takes away from the fun.

The music I make is not very musical and not driven by any major melodies or harmonies, so I am lucky here. Plus most the tracks I hear do not really sound like they have much going on musically, most the time the techno I listen to sounds like one note or a sample pitched up or down. Am I right?

So currently I will use oneshots to create everything from drum, bass and stabs, I will only use a soft synth for white noise or effects, and even then most the time these are samples.

What can I say I am a sample freak.

Can you sample freaks out in electronic music land throw me some tips if possibile.

I discovered pitch the other and how doing this can really alter the sample in a musical way, very nice.

Any sampling tips taken
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
However just want to know is it totally possible to build a track using nothing but ripped samples from my record collection and purchased samples only?
Yes, of course.

But instead of asking - just try.

More importantly - instead of trying to find excuses on why you are not including regular instruments, embrace any method of generating sound.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➡️
Yes, of course.

But instead of asking - just try.

More importantly - instead of trying to find excuses on why you are not including regular instruments, embrace any method of generating sound.
I am trying. And I am not finding excuses at all.

I like sampling. It is a simple question I ask? can one create a full track using nothing but samples. I am only 16 years old so please have patience.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I know you said you wanted to stay away from soft synths, but ableton is great for sampling. The time stretching and warp markers are ridiculously easy to use.

Plus, if you get hardware samplers, it'll give another layer of audio mangling capabilities.

That being said, the Korg electribe series are generally a good place to start. You can pick up an es1 for on the cheap. I have an esx that I love.

And definitely learn some theory my man. It'll help when you're putting your samples together if you know what key you're in.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
You can make music with whatever you choose to make music with. If samples excite and inspire you--go with that. But you're original post has way too many "I don't like this, I don't like thats" and "I don't want to learn this, I don't want to learn thats" in it. If you really get into music it will take you places you never planned for when you're 16. Focus is good, but don't put yourself in a cage.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yes you can music with only asmples, but of course if you first program the sound and later export as samples.. why not? It sure works
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explicit878 ➡️

I like sampling. It is a simple question I ask? can one create a full track using nothing but samples. I am only 16 years old so please have patience.
Welcome to the forum and to the world of music production. I started making music when I was 16. There are many successful electronic artists who have used nothing but samples, and so it is definitely possible. Don't exclude the possibility that one day you might want to learn about synths and sythesiss and music theory. When I started at 16, I used just samples with some primitive music programs. Then I bought some synths and more sophisticated programs. It involved a lot of learning, not just about music, but about audio engineering and everything inbetween that involves making a musical idea into a polished song ready for others to enjoy.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpedrum ➡️
You can make music with whatever you choose to make music with. If samples excite and inspire you--go with that. But you're original post has way too many "I don't like this, I don't like thats" and "I don't want to learn this, I don't want to learn thats" in it. If you really get into music it will take you places you never planned for when you're 16. Focus is good, but don't put yourself in a cage.
Yeah you are right, I am doing much complaining but Im a kid Im allowed to complain, its my job to complain.
Tell me what kid aint comoplain....ha ha ha
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
you can just use samples....but it will probably sound like you used samples.

I think a combo of samples and soft synths is the best combo for ITB mixing.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toth ➡️
Welcome to the forum and to the world of music production. I started making music when I was 16. There are many successful electronic artists who have used nothing but samples, and so it is definitely possible. Don't exclude the possibility that one day you might want to learn about synths and sythesiss and music theory. When I started at 16, I used just samples with some primitive music programs. Then I bought some synths and more sophisticated programs. It involved a lot of learning, not just about music, but about audio engineering and everything inbetween that involves making a musical idea into a polished song ready for others to enjoy.
Thanks Toth and for all the replies.
As I thought def possibile to make music with nothing but sampz.
Nice one.

Yeah I know I have allot of learning to do. But for now I just love rippin samples and killing it and making a bassline with nothing but a simple one shot.

Thanks
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mononym ➡️
you can just use samples....but it will probably sound like you used samples.

I think a combo of samples and soft synths is the best combo for ITB mixing.
Hmm how so?
can you explain please?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Of course it's absolutely possible. That's what we used to do back in the day with an MPC or SP and a turntable! A whole generation of music was done that way.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist ➡️
Of course it's absolutely possible. That's what we used to do back in the day with an MPC or SP and a turntable! A whole generation of music was done that way.
Ha ha MPCist what a great name, how could I expect any other reply coming from a name like that.
My pops is buying an MPC 60 for my birthday.
Hell yeah an MPC 60 and a turntable I am going to rule the world.

I was also looking for tips, and if anyone knows of any tracks which were made exclusively using samples, I know that could be hard....
But the only stuff I have came across is more hip hop like
Kurtis Blow and Dj Shadow, stole these albums from my brother.
All samples apparently.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Music theory is great but that's kind of where I started so it comes naturally for me; and I enjoy it.

That said, forget about theory for now. Load up a softsynth and start playing notes along with your samples. Keep the ones that sound good and work from that. Maybe you'll get good at it and your curiousity will drive you towards learning more.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
However just want to know is it totally possible to build a track using nothing but ripped samples from my record collection and purchased samples only? I have a feeling I know the answer, but just want some reassurance.
If you use nothing but samples of other people's work, you will get nothing but a collage of other people's work. If you want to make music, learn to make music the way those people originally did. There are no shortcuts.

If you just take other people's work and assemble it, you will never have any real satisfaction in what you do, and nor will you ever know what it is to truly create something. Just because some people pretend to be musicians by stealing what other people have done, that doesn't make it either right or worthwhile.

And BTW, don't EVER steal anything of mine.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
im saying i use samples of percs, kicks, etc...layer them. tweak them in my sampler, FX, etc.

and i use soft synths for pads, bass, leads, etc.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes you are!

Quote:
I am not really into soft synths, and as I said already I have no Idea how to write music using a piano roll or keyboard. Yes I know, learn or study music, but I don't want to as it does my head in and takes away from the fun.
That's an excuse. It's like working out; if it's boring, you haven't chosen the right training scheme.

You can't just mash any sample together; no artist making collages does. You do not combine a bassline in G major with a song that's in F minor - it simply sounds off and out of tune (and exceptions apply to that).

You already apply music theory because you select samples that fit together. If you know more about it, and use timestretching/pitching, you can suddenly fit even more samples together, because on a different pitch they may still be using the same scale.

If you learn to play, even more opens up.

Quote:
I like sampling. It is a simple question I ask? can one create a full track using nothing but samples.
Every question you ask that starts with "can I" - if it's within your means to try it, just do it. It gives you a better answer. It may throw you a dozen more questions in the process, but that's what learning is all about!

As for purchased samples: guess how they're made! There's a lot of pressure on library producers to create big sets quickly, so the cheap stuff will have a good lot of software in there; hardware simply means more time and work. The great part of knowing theory and using non-samples is that you can use it to replace missing samples or anything you have to cut up to the point of turning it into crappy mush. A single plugin or synthesizer may already mean that you don't have to spend money on libraries every time. Besides, it's not like you're buying the exclusive rights to a library; so if it's good, there's sort of an arms race between producers to use them as quickly as possible.

When I was your age, I used this: FastTracker 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia In the electronic music scene at that time, some people got signed with a demo they made on that (or its older version, Protracker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - though it needs to be said that this was during the time of gabberhouse). Later on, I used Sonic Foundry's ACID.

As for:

Quote:
I am only 16 years old so please have patience.
Ah - but the burden of patience is on your side as well . The best part about this and the next few years is that you have a ridiculous amount of free time to hone your skills, provided that you throw yourself into it.

Here's some advice:

If you start out, everything's going to be crap. It's going to be like that for a while. Make stuff; it's better to have 10 songs of which 9 are awful than to have 1 song of which 90% is awful. Save your work and archive it. Keep a notepad and make backups of the original tracks and stems; storage is nearly free.

Post tracks for critique. Try to find good critics who give you honest feedback - nothing as useless as talentless people who just hit the Like-button so they can get likes in return for their average crap, it's a vicious cycle of mediocrity which will stunt your growth.

Find friends who are doing the same thing in music and team up with 'm - they'll be your best critics and it'll make you learn stuff at an accelerated pace.

Find friends who are into the instrument thing, and learn from them - you'll teach them something as well.

Shy no medium. Certainly not on beforehand, certainly not without trying. Prejudice is your worst enemy.

Don't spend your time obsessing about equipment; the energy and time you have right now at your age is worth a ton more than anything any jaded producer could come up with, because it still has the potential to get **** done.

Anyone telling you that you can't be for real if you don't have (insert piece of gear here) is one hundred percent full of high-grade bull****, and most likely got their lunch money stolen by someone who wasn't hung up on ideology.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Prefuse 73. Awesome sample based music.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweep1 ➡️
If you use nothing but samples of other people's work, you will get nothing but a collage of other people's work. If you want to make music, learn to make music the way those people originally did. There are no shortcuts.

If you just take other people's work and assemble it, you will never have any real satisfaction in what you do, and nor will you ever know what it is to truly create something. Just because some people pretend to be musicians by stealing what other people have done, that doesn't make it either right or worthwhile.

Ahh please.
Who said sampling is a shortcut, seriously.
It does take great skill to get that MPC banging a tune with nothing but samples. Geez.

Stealing YOUR STUFF, please get of your high horse.

Hey OP yes many amazing great albums have been made using noting but samples stolen or not stolen.

Nothing wrong with sampling I say, if this is what you like go for it, each to there own, simple.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
If you're doin house, techno, deep it could be a wise choice...for pure electronic a synth is more suitable...imho
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
At the OP. Definitely spend time learning basic theory, this will help you a long way in figuring out how to make melody's and chords work together. Believe it or not learning the major and minor scales is very simple. I would recommend getting a couple books to read while your not at your computer producing.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Older Amon Tobin stuff still sounds pretty awesome, and is almost entirely built out of samples of other peoples' stuff.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweep1 ➡️

that is total pretentious nonsense. so there are no visual collage artists on the planet that are capable of crafting fine art? actually if i've learned anything it's that arguing with people who have this point of view is about as fruitful as arguing with evangelical christians, so i dunno why i bother.

you ought to realize every chord you've ever used, and likely every chord progression, was stolen from someone that did it first, long before you were born. and every rhythm you've ever come up with—same thing. actually probably everything you've ever done musically has been a stolen idea to a large degree, based upon what other musicians before you have already done.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
just want to know is it totally possible to build a track using nothing but ripped samples from my record collection and purchased samples only? I have a feeling I know the answer, but just want some reassurance.
How's this for reassurance?
Quote:
On his original singles under Ninebar and his first three albums, Tobin acquired all of the sound sources to produce music from his personal collection of vinyl records.
Amon Tobin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There's also DJ Shadow's 'Endtroducing', which is one of the seminal albums in sample-based music. But I really recommend you listen to Amon Tobin, it is simply incredible what can be done with nothing but samples.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Speaking of visual arts, how about a painting of a fruitbowl? Isn't the artist essentially sampling the fruitbowl and not creating something from his imagination?

How about phorography then? Is it not art, because the artist didn't create the thing he was photographing?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel ➡️
Speaking of visual arts, how about a painting of a fruitbowl? Isn't the artist essentially sampling the fruitbowl
Nope, that'd be chipping pieces from it and rearranging them. It's a reconstruction of an image of a fruitbowl. See also The Treachery of Images - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
How about phorography then?
This gets closer to sampling, because you're letting another device make a recording of the original.

Eventually this discussion almost invariably ends in "what is art" and that's an abyss you don't want to jump into.

Amon Tobin uses samples, but if someone samples, that doesn't make them Amon Tobin.

There's also a big difference between Tobin and Shadow in terms of work and result; for one, the sampled fragments are quite a bit longer (and easily recognizable) in Endtroducing. Samples can be a giant playground just in that spectrum alone.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma ➡️
that is total pretentious nonsense. so there are no visual collage artists on the planet that are capable of crafting fine art? actually if i've learned anything it's that arguing with people who have this point of view is about as fruitful as arguing with evangelical christians, so i dunno why i bother.

you ought to realize every chord you've ever used, and likely every chord progression, was stolen from someone that did it first, long before you were born. and every rhythm you've ever come up with—same thing. actually probably everything you've ever done musically has been a stolen idea to a large degree, based upon what other musicians before you have already done.
My thoughts exactly.

I see nothing wrong at all in using samples exclusively to create a song or even a full album or whatever.

I say sample to your hearts content. It is a different story if you are using prefab loops or construction kits, but the OP mentions none of this as I imagine he grabs that loop and damages it until it is unrecognizable.

Here is some advice for you.
Just keep sampling, practice and practice and don't worry you are using samples to make your music with.
Use one shots, use whatever just get it banging.

Maybe one day you will make these samples yourself, and guess what if you dont or have no desire to that is fine also, music is about enjoyment and if making music using samples is what brings you pleasure do it and ignore what anyone else says.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Your Dad is buying you an MPC60, damn, when I was your age my dad yelled at me for buying records. Said DJing and scratching was a fad. Worked at McyDs at 14 all summer to buy some crap turntables. haha

Seriouslly though, the MPC 60 is one of my favorite pieces of gear, I even have beta OS from valexi, but I dont think its going to be good for you and what you want to do. For sequencing definitely, but if you want to mangle samples, look elsewhere. It doesnt even have a filter. I'd suggest an ASR10.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Get The Avalanches' Since I Left You and study this album inside out. Nuff said. Also nothing new under the sun.

Now, make an album with fake samples that you recorded yourself and made sound like album samples. I guess someone has done that, too...
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➡️
Eventually this discussion almost invariably ends in "what is art" and that's an abyss you don't want to jump into.
...it is?

📝 Reply