The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Making music with nothing but samples
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechno ➡️
My thoughts exactly.

I see nothing wrong at all in using samples exclusively to create a song or even a full album or whatever.

I say sample to your hearts content. It is a different story if you are using prefab loops or construction kits, but the OP mentions none of this as I imagine he grabs that loop and damages it until it is unrecognizable.

Here is some advice for you.
Just keep sampling, practice and practice and don't worry you are using samples to make your music with.
Use one shots, use whatever just get it banging.

Maybe one day you will make these samples yourself, and guess what if you dont or have no desire to that is fine also, music is about enjoyment and if making music using samples is what brings you pleasure do it and ignore what anyone else says.
Thanks Mrtechno and to all the other positive replies. I dont care really what anyone else thinks or says. I was just asking to see if I can get some tips from you folks.

I will just keep banging it up.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweep1 ➡️
If you use nothing but samples of other people's work, you will get nothing but a collage of other people's work. If you want to make music, learn to make music the way those people originally did. There are no shortcuts.

If you just take other people's work and assemble it, you will never have any real satisfaction in what you do, and nor will you ever know what it is to truly create something. Just because some people pretend to be musicians by stealing what other people have done, that doesn't make it either right or worthwhile.

And BTW, don't EVER steal anything of mine.
Hey Sweep, touchy subject for ya then. Nah I will not steal your stuff, me no like your stuff me no steal yo stuff.....ha ha ha.

You keep it.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Your only bounded by your imagination and interest.
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Audjioconsult in 3.....2........
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Tell yourself you're going to focus on samples - for now. Your interests and priorities will shift later, that'll be good. Because this stuff goes on frickin' forever. :-)

What did some of the first artists who had access to samplers do with them? Check out some Art of Noise on Youtube, and look for others. Ben Burtt records sounds and makes new ones, even though he's not a musician. Check him out.

Now you may have some samples sitting in tracks - what now? Learn every effect in your software. Play with EQ a lot. Try everything, on different sounds.

Learn every feature on your sampler and what it sounds like. Start with the filter. Learn how to drive those features from buttons, knobs and faders. Look for a controller you like, and use it to drive your samples. Korg nanokontrols are good, imho.

The best part of sampling - go out and record some cool sounds! Use your phone to collect sounds, it probably has a little 'voice memo' recording app on it already. Sync the files over to the computer and fun time begins. Listen to everything around you and think about how to make music with it.

Weird stuff may happen. You might start watching TV and movies with your eyes closed, or stop in your tracks to listen to something. This is good!

Another way to use samples is to go microscopic - use tiny, tiny slices of sound that make a texture when looped and sustained. Not just less than a second, but a few thousandths of a second. Fun stuff will happen.

Let us know how it's going!
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
One thing about making music only from samples is that it's sometimes hard to bring the sounds to life the way a real instrument or a synthesizer with 'live' modulation of its parameters can. Samples are by their nature more static than instruments. Some artists do really well with them (Burial is my favorite example of a sample-only artist). The artists who do the best with them shape the kind of music they make around the limitations of samples -- they don't try to do very 'instrumental'-sounding stuff. But for many styles of music and sounds, using only samples would make it really difficult I think to get the right feel out of the music. Hard to imagine making a convincing indy rock album using only samples, to take an admittedly ridiculous example.
-synthoid
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You need 2 samples and detune them
Brownsound
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Do you have clearance for those samples?
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explicit878 ➡️
Hi Guys,

I have been working at producing for only a little while now and wanted some advice around making music exclusively using nothing but samples.

Having no music knowledge at all, I like the way you can work towards building a track using nothing but samples on a sampler or a step sequencer. I am not into Multi samples, as such and I really like and prefer oneshots you know.

I have had some success around making electronic music this way, However just want to know is it totally possible to build a track using nothing but ripped samples from my record collection and purchased samples only? I have a feeling I know the answer, but just want some reassurance.

I am not really into soft synths, and as I said already I have no Idea how to write music using a piano roll or keyboard. Yes I know, learn or study music, but I don't want to as it does my head in and takes away from the fun.

The music I make is not very musical and not driven by any major melodies or harmonies, so I am lucky here. Plus most the tracks I hear do not really sound like they have much going on musically, most the time the techno I listen to sounds like one note or a sample pitched up or down. Am I right?

So currently I will use oneshots to create everything from drum, bass and stabs, I will only use a soft synth for white noise or effects, and even then most the time these are samples.

What can I say I am a sample freak.

Can you sample freaks out in electronic music land throw me some tips if possibile.

I discovered pitch the other and how doing this can really alter the sample in a musical way, very nice.

Any sampling tips taken

Here's my short answer:
1) Yes it's possible to make tunes just from samples. Using lots of samples (or exclusively samples) is a common production technique.

2) You need to stop pampering yourself and break out of your comfort zone. You'll never get far with music otherwise. Music is troublesome and challenging - always has been. Get used to it. Said in a friendly way. If you want to use lots of samples that's fine of course but don't do that because you think it's an easy route - it isn't.

3) synthesis and use of samples are just two points on a continuum of music production. In the end its all sound. You need to get in and learn the guts of it.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
DJ Shadow's Endtroducing is (as far as I know) purely built from samples- I'm not sure if the melodicy elements were chopped up from another melody (Stem and Long Stem/Organ Donor) or if they were sampled then mapped to keys. I think he used MPC's, so is likely it was just all chopped up and made from there.

It's a stunning album and a show of what can be achieved from a lot of work, massive passion for all kinds of music and a record collection of epic proportions!!

As for the Avalanches- Frontier Psychiatrist is a masterpiece too!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal ➡️
DJ Shadow's Endtroducing is (as far as I know) purely built from samples- I'm not sure if the melodicy elements were chopped up from another melody (Stem and Long Stem/Organ Donor) or if they were sampled then mapped to keys.
You mean these?

Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explicit878 ➡️
Hell yeah an MPC 60 and a turntable I am going to rule the world.
That's the spirit!

Sampling can be just as creative and musical as any other method. Depends how you use it. See where you can take it. As already mentioned in this thread, MPC-60, while great, doesn't do everything that I would want from a sampler. Maybe combined with a soft sampler + control keys, and you would have all you may want.

I agree with the others that you shouldn't shy away from other aspects of music though. It's all relevant and useful. Allows you to do more, faster, and more easily.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krushing ➡️
You mean these?

Damn. Can't listen as at work- are they sampled as is then?

Personally, I like the Tangerine Dream guitar samples used and the harp/woodwind stuff in stem/long stem.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal ➡️
Damn. Can't listen as at work- are they sampled as is then?

Personally, I like the Tangerine Dream guitar samples used and the harp/woodwind stuff in stem/long stem.
Aha. Yes- straight samples. It is nice to hear more of the source material, though.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma ➡️
that is total pretentious nonsense. so there are no visual collage artists on the planet that are capable of crafting fine art? actually if i've learned anything it's that arguing with people who have this point of view is about as fruitful as arguing with evangelical christians, so i dunno why i bother.

you ought to realize every chord you've ever used, and likely every chord progression, was stolen from someone that did it first, long before you were born. and every rhythm you've ever come up with—same thing. actually probably everything you've ever done musically has been a stolen idea to a large degree, based upon what other musicians before you have already done.
I agree to some extent, but I often find myself disspointed when I find out that some of the songs I admire have samples that haven't even been chopped (lasting a bar or more) that make up most of the song.

That said, saying no to using samples makes it hard to justify using virtual pianos etc.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Its perfectly possible because sampling can give you a huge array of sounds. I will even say that is possible to build a complete complex track from a single 1 second sample. There are several examples on the internet of how much abuse a single sample can take.

I really love taking samples, and trimming them to very tiny parts that can come up with myriads of sounds. Its fun and real eye opener.

Sampling for me remains the best way of audio synthesis. Because its easy, full of surprises and with very rewarding results.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@OP

Yes you can! Why couldn't you?

Trust yourself, be open minded, sample whatever sounds good to you. You don't need to use a ton samples, even as little as two or three samples might be enough for a great tune. Focus first on 'good taste' and making your tunes sound interesting, and only later worry about mixing technique etc. You don't need to know **** about music theory to make great electronic music.

Check out Theo Parrish "Parallel Dimensions" LP. An amazing album. AFAIK most tracks there and much of his early 2000 stuff were made with only a 1985 sampler called E-mu SP 12.

From what you wrote here, I think you're on the right track!

Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle ➡️
@OP

Yes you can! Why couldn't you?

Trust yourself, be open minded, sample whatever sounds good to you. You don't need to use a ton samples, even as little as two or three samples might be enough for a great tune. Focus first on 'good taste' and making your tunes sound interesting, and only later worry about mixing technique etc. You don't need to know **** about music theory to make great electronic music.

Check out Theo Parrish "Parallel Dimensions" LP. An amazing album. AFAIK most tracks there and much of his early 2000 stuff were made with only a 1985 sampler called E-mu SP 12.

From what you wrote here, I think you're on the right track!

Exactly.

I think some of the best sounding stuff has been made using nothing but a sampler, samples and imagination.

I would also agree the OP needs to know nothing about music theory to get a banger. Sure whilst it is nice to know all about chords and scales and the other stuff, but it is not necessary.

To me the stuff that sounds good is coming from Producers who have no understanding of music theory but play by ear.

Also correct all you need is a bunch of samples, not many to get a banger.

I say start with a 16 pad sampler, fill it up and run with that.

16 Pads will give you the beat, the bass, stabs and EFX.

Trust me it can be done. It is awesome to limit yourself to 16 pads of sounds.
When you a choose a sound, understand why you are choosing that sound...simple. Look at its waveform, study it, hear it and feel it.
Then ask yourself, what can I make with this sound.

Trim your sounds, adjust the envelopes start times and end times. Sometimes you will find the sound is perfect with out any adjustments needed at all.

Use the Low pass filter on almost anything to move a static sample.
You do not need multi samples, one shots are great.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
as someone else said, listen to Since I Left You by the Avalanches for a sense of some of the beautiful things you can do with just samplers. And don't worry for now about music theory or any of that stuff -just bang out some tracks that sound good to you and see where it takes you...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The guy who makes the jjos for the MPC-1000 also has a really good standalone sampler/sequencer, it's called "jj-sequencer" and I haven't seen it online lately but it is the best thing I have seen for simple sample/sequencer tool.

I used to line up waveforms in Cool Edit Pro to make loops...that was tedious. wish i had jj sequencer back then. wish i had it now actually
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes. People have been making tracks from nothing but samples for over 25 years now.

Burials stuff is mostly sampled (old tunes, video game & films scores etc) and he's hailed as a genius (edit - ok Synthoid won). It's all about putting your own stamp of identity on it/altering it enough that you don't get hit with a heavy lawsuit.

Last months Computer Music was all about creating tracks from samples, I don't work for the mag but I always recommend it to people just starting out. They also have lots of freebie (but high quality) vst synths, effects and royalty-free samples on the DVD each month.
📝 Reply