Quantcast
How can I get that PRO sound? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How can I get that PRO sound?
Old 17th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
How can I get that PRO sound?

Hey guys, just joined today! But not a noob. But I need some help.

I have been using Fl studio for a year now on and off..and my question is..how can I get the "Professional sound" I am having huge troubles when it comes to eq'ing and mixing. I dont know what EQ to do when comes to my synths and bass...wether its taking the low end out of the synth..I'm just so confused..If you can help I would appreciate it!

Thanks
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Watch all the into the lair videos on Pensados place. Then come back and ask more questions only once you've finished all of them.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
What exactly do you need help with?

for synths, try to lowcut them at 150 hz

for synths try to use stereo widening plugins
for synths try ohmicide pro
for synths try to use alot of reverb on them
for.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nznexus ➑️
What exactly do you need help with?

for.
Thanks..its just everything layering and stuff it just doesnt have that "PRO sound" im looking for..and ok I will watch the vids thanks
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Too get that pro sound you gonna need professional ears and professional tools plain and simple.
Old 17th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Practice, Hard work, and experimentation.

And Google.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
For the "Pro sound", the difference is often the use of compression.
It can make tracks pump, make things sound bigger, tighten things up and glue everything together.
It takes a lot of practice to learn how to use it effectively, but once you know, it will take your sound to the next level.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlmfao ➑️
I dont know what EQ to do when comes to my synths
Thanks
It really depends on what you want. You want to try to make sure that certain frequencies arent fighting each other. Try playing with fruity panometric EQ 2 and buffing the uppermid and high range a bit on your leads. Also just added reverb does alot as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlmfao ➑️
Thanks..its just everything layering and stuff it just doesnt have that "PRO sound" im looking for..and ok I will watch the vids thanks
what's your signal chain like? Seems people understate this a lot.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It will take alot longer than a year to sound pro. Keep practicing.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
If you want, you can send me a PM and I'd be happy to help you out with some comments, suggestions.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Good compressors
Good songs with melody and good beat and good arrangements
Gear: analog or good VA's and/or VST's (though I'm not a VST guy)
Maybe a good ROMpler
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

Google WDYRSLA and read it.

..ant
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Practice hard about 9 more years.

Though even that doesn't guarantee anything. I've been making music for 15 years and my stuff is still very amateur-sounding.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What is the "Pro" sound though? ist that pretty subjective?

does this sound pro to you?

or the track in my sig?

http://soundcloud.com/dj-dimi-h/technoznumber2-updated
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
it takes two things: having a very refined aesthetic sense (i.e., having good taste), and having the knowledge and experience of your craft and associated tools to be able to mold/shape sound into achieving that aesthetic ideal.

if you don't understand EQ (or other fundamental mixing-related things), then you're at least lacking in the second stipulation.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nznexus ➑️

for.
How can you say this when you have not heard anything yet?

It'd be like a doctor saying "take a few Tylenols" and hanging up when all you said on the phone calling him was "hello".
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Either:

1. Go to a pro studio, with a pro engineer and a pro producer, and good tracks and arrangements and pro singers and musicians (costs - money).

2. Become a pro yourself in one of these fields (takes 5+ years of constant work, at the least, if you are talented).

3. Become a pro yourself at all these tasks (but even Stevie Wonder doesn't engineer himself I think?)
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Stevie Wonder is a pretty bad example because you have to be ridiculously talented and you need all the grooming from showbiz since age 13. Oh yeah - and be surrounded by talent musicians and producers all the time also helps.

Also, that's a different kind of pro than say, an Avicii or deadmau5.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Start with the right sounds in the first place. Makes the mixing much simpler. It's always said a great sounding track begins with a great recording. Get it right at the source, as less processing will always sound better.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️
How can you say this when you have not heard anything yet?

It'd be like a doctor saying "take a few Tylenols" and hanging up when all you said on the phone calling him was "hello".
Brillos
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey ➑️
It will take alot longer than a year to sound pro. Keep practicing.

yup, especially if it's on and off.

Take the next 2-3 years and make sure it's all 'on'

Also, what are you monitoring with?

There's no single solution.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
save some money, get a real analog synth, it'll make EQing much more easier when working with good "source" material. not to say FL is not pro, but I made this experience myself, I'll never give away my minimoog or jupiter!
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Search for remix competitions.

You will get separated steams of all instruments, so it will help you to understand mixing better.

Check this Find A Remix Contest - Remix Comps
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There are no short cuts.Trial and error.No Eq will correct the wrong bass line to the kick pattern or tempo or how busy the beat is.Sometimes the tools or lack of tools will dictate or influence what you can or can't do.So play to the strenths of whatever Fl studio is.Get out of the bedroom and watch and learn from others in person.Take a class...edjumacate yourself !!!
Old 17th September 2012
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
am I alone in noticing that the OP's nickname reads

"I am LMFAO"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️
How can you say this when you have not heard anything yet?It'd be like a doctor saying "take a few Tylenols" and hanging up when all you said on the phone calling him was "hello".
If you called him at 3 am, if you talked with a nasal voice and if your "hello" was syncopated by sneezes,

that would be the correct answer.

MOST doctors would answer that.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Kids using software (avicii?) can create "Pro" sound from using FLStudio. Maybe it's just luck / talent?

For certain people, reaching that sound seems to come easy. You certainly don't need 10 years and look like a bearded studio engineer.
I think the source is good samples and arrangement.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy ➑️
am I alone in noticing that the OP's nickname reads

"I am LMFAO"?
Yes, The rest of us take this thread very seriously.

As for the OP's question.

The right way to make somthing sound pro is to successfully invent a genre, have some hits and then have lots of people imitate all the things you did wrong while making your music.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I agree with those saying it takes practice, and lots of it.

It took me about 4 years before I was happy with my mixes, and I still feel I have a lot to learn. At first, I fell into the trap of trying lots of plugins and thinking they all sounded awful, but then I limited myself to one clean eq, one compressor and one stereo widening effect ...and stuck with it. If after revisiting a mix a few times I still wasn't happy, I would back it up and start from scratch. Each time I got better results and got there a little bit quicker.

Controlling dynamics is important, but often, a few tweaks to a volume curve works better than slapping an aggressive compressor across a track. With EQ it seems to be about cutting offending or competing frequencies, rather than boosting to make things sound impressive, but there are no rules.

The good news is that you can hear your mixes are not "pro", and that should give you confidence. Some people take to mixing naturally, so you might pick it up quickly. If not, you need to decide whether it is worth your time and patience, and consider getting someone else to mix your tracks instead.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevBKeys ➑️
Controlling dynamics is important, but often, a few tweaks to a volume curve works better than slapping an aggressive compressor across a track. With EQ it seems to be about cutting offending frequencies, rather than boosting to make things sound impressive, but there are no rules.
This. I fell into the compressor trap thinking it would fix the mix by just adding enough of them It is like building a house of cards
πŸ“ Reply