Quantcast
How can I get that PRO sound? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How can I get that PRO sound?
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
  #61
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassica ➡️
Don't bother. Just make lo-fi music.
I'm going to go with this, even though there are some great responses.

Personally I have realized that since I am not a pro, I will not sound like one. But I seriously enjoy my hobby.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
  #62
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizt ➡️
I think it's knowing what sounds good and what not, and this probably one of the hardest skill to get. Some people probably have a natural sharp ear for this and the rest just have to train it.
this is totally true, and i think often overlooked by people because it's such a simple concept. but i think it's literally the defining aspect of a good artist. you HAVE to have a very refined sense of aesthetics—knowing what sounds good or not, what works in any context and doesn't is the foundation of every creative decision you make down the line. the technical things can all be learned by anyone, but they aren't valuable without a sense of good taste to guide the technical decisions.

and i also agree it has to be developed over time, and with experience—but i think people want quick and easy answers or formulas to achieve things ("what EQ settings are best for vocals?", etc.), rather than learning to rely on that gut instinct/personal taste, because it's such a non-logical thing that can't easily be defined or understood. but really, THAT is what ART is all about when you strip away the technical side of it.
Old 19th September 2012
  #63
Lives for gear
 
jrhager84's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mononym ➡️
what do you use hardware or software?
Does it matter? Lol

Software here. For now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 19th September 2012
  #64
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
10,000 Hours
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
  #65
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma ➡️
this is totally true, and i think often overlooked by people because it's such a simple concept. but i think it's literally the defining aspect of a good artist. you HAVE to have a very refined sense of aesthetics—knowing what sounds good or not, what works in any context and doesn't is the foundation of every creative decision you make down the line. the technical things can all be learned by anyone, but they aren't valuable without a sense of good taste to guide the technical decisions.

and i also agree it has to be developed over time, and with experience—but i think people want quick and easy answers or formulas to achieve things ("what EQ settings are best for vocals?", etc.), rather than learning to rely on that gut instinct/personal taste, because it's such a non-logical thing that can't easily be defined or understood. but really, THAT is what ART is all about when you strip away the technical side of it.
I think thats the nail hit on the head. When I started, like most people, I thought anything I did sounded great.

Now I think 99% of my time is saying - nope. Working is mining that 1%, and knowing when you see the glitter of its potential.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #66
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean ➡️
10,000 Hours
this. 10,000 hours or about 6 years of work.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliers_(book)
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #67
Lives for gear
 
Praxisaxis's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma ➡️
this is totally true, and i think often overlooked by people because it's such a simple concept. but i think it's literally the defining aspect of a good artist. you HAVE to have a very refined sense of aesthetics—knowing what sounds good or not, what works in any context and doesn't is the foundation of every creative decision you make down the line. the technical things can all be learned by anyone, but they aren't valuable without a sense of good taste to guide the technical decisions.

and i also agree it has to be developed over time, and with experience—but i think people want quick and easy answers or formulas to achieve things ("what EQ settings are best for vocals?", etc.), rather than learning to rely on that gut instinct/personal taste, because it's such a non-logical thing that can't easily be defined or understood. but really, THAT is what ART is all about when you strip away the technical side of it.

+ 1 and then some more. In fact all the technical stuff can easily obscure this basic fact. Your ears are the most important bit of gear, but unlike your other gear they need to be trained. It takes most of us more than just a few months (or years). It's the cold hard truth
Old 23rd September 2012
  #68
x99
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
2 words:
Ghost writer
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #69
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mononym ➡️
this. 10,000 hours or about 6 years of work.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliers_(book)
Just wanted to say a massive thank you for highlighting this book. I've been listening to the audio book read by Gladwell himself. Absolutely superb.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #70
ozy
Lives for gear
 
ozy's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassica ➡️
Just wanted to say a massive thank you for highlighting this book. I've been listening to the audio book read by Gladwell himself. Absolutely superb.
Gladwell is always worth reading.

Check his other books "The Tipping Point" (how "booms" happen. In a an artist's popularity, in fashions, etc. The "mathematics" of "sudden change", "mass", etc).

I am a professional reader in that specific field of research (it's contiguous to strategy), and I must say that, albeit a Great Simplifier, he is very accurate, his sources are sound and, above all, he allows himself to be read and understood by non-specialists.

I also loved "Blink" (same author)

Blink is about so-called "intuition", "gut feeling": it studies how many mental and physical reactions really happen when you "just like it (her)".

It espcially explains what happens when you see something/someone (a woman, a synth, a colleague, a movie), and you immediately LIKE IT because you "want to like it" (it is what you need, it has the right price, she accept your flirting when you are felling alone and down", etc),

but "something" in your guts tells you that you are making a mistake, your "like" nothwithstanding.

EXCELLENT insights!

He presents some examples which are stunning (the one in the opening pages will destroy for good your trust in academia, experts and professional conventions - if you had any trust left).
Old 26th September 2012
  #71
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Cheers, I'm kinda hooked now so I'll be checking those out A$AP...
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1004 views: 317091
Avatar for Don Solaris
Don Solaris 25th October 2012
replies: 66 views: 19706
Avatar for daviddever
daviddever 19th March 2017
replies: 1105 views: 93156
Avatar for recurv
recurv 23rd November 2020
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump