How can I get that PRO sound? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How can I get that PRO sound?
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma ➑️
it takes two things: having a very refined aesthetic sense (i.e., having good taste), and having the knowledge and experience of your craft and associated tools to be able to mold/shape sound into achieving that aesthetic ideal.

if you don't understand EQ (or other fundamental mixing-related things), then you're at least lacking in the second stipulation.
This
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy ➑️
am I alone in noticing that the OP's nickname reads

"I am LMFAO"?

kill the trolls with kindness.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
EFFORT, skill, time, learning your system inside/out, good taste, more time, great gear, better monitors, etc.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Don't bother. Just make lo-fi music.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Get out now while you still can.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassica ➑️
Don't bother. Just make lo-fi music.
Of coarse, but there is good lofi music, then there is just trash that is kinda lofi. haha
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtraGarlic ➑️
Of coarse, but there is good lofi music, then there is just trash that is kinda lofi. haha
Yeah I was just being silly. That's the problem with modern methods - without making any effort the results are just "okay". It's as much work to create a convincing lo-fi sound as it is to create a convincing "pro" sound.

I've been listening to these old Ozric Tentacles early records a lot recently. Presumably 4/8 track. Sound so damn good!!!

Anyway... I shall not hijack this thread any further.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint ➑️
save some money, get a real analog synth, it'll make EQing much more easier when working with good "source" material. not to say FL is not pro, but I made this experience myself, I'll never give away my minimoog or jupiter!
You're really telling this kid if he runs out and gets analog gear he will sound pro...

You analog-heads crack me up.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Also come to think of it:

Add reverb to different stuff, the whole sound gets fuller (don't overdo it photoshop bevel lens flare style). Then add a multiband compressor on main out
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Lens ➑️
Also come to think of it:

Add reverb to different stuff, the whole sound gets fuller (don't overdo it photoshop bevel lens flare style). Then add a multiband compressor on main out
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassica ➑️
LOL.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickmann ➑️
Practice, Hard work, and experimentation.

And Google.
this. x a million
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So I may be repeating what others have said but here I go.

No you do not need gear, whilst I am a gear head, I do not think this is what truly defines creativty.
Do not fall into the trap of thinking new gear will make you superior or sound better, sure whilst Highend outboard gear and analog synths rule in my world, this is not what is ultimatley going to give you the Pro sound which you talk about.
Look, it is right infront of you, you have Fruity Loops, many prodcuers and engineers including myself would have died for this porgram 10 or 15 years ago. You have it all right in front of you now, the question is do you know how to use what is in front of you now? If not -well this leads me to my next point......read and learn until you do, and practice and practice, this is what will earn you the pro sound to which you refer. Then when you think you are almost there and have exhasted Fruity, go out and spend some money on some nice new shiny gear. You will truly appreacite it when you finally reach that point.

All you need to do is practice with EQ, and everything else Fruity offers you. It may take you 10 years, but if you are willing and patient enough you will get to where you want to be. A pro sound does not just appear out of no where, it takes years of know how. Good luck.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechno ➑️
All you need to do is practice with EQ, and everything else Fruity offers you. It may take you 10 years, but if you are willing and patient enough you will get to where you want to be. A pro sound does not just appear out of no where, it takes years of know how. Good luck.
indeed. i'd say it actually does take about a decade to REALLY get to that point. there's a great deal of things you have to master, and they all take time.
Old 18th September 2012
Deleted User
Apply a limiter plugin with max gain to every other track. Odds sound better...unless you are using an intel i7 chip. If it doesn't sound right you need better monitors.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
believe it or not most of the Eqing you do on a synth is high passing, low passing(generally done in the synth) and dealing with the low mid frequency's. Any additional eqing is generally small boosts or cuts to make it sit nicely in the final mix.

a few things to consider:

-every sound should to some extent have it's own "space" this is what give a mix clarity and makes each element stand out.

-boost to make it sound different

-cut to make it *fit or sound better*(you should be cutting far more often than boosting)

-low mid cut's will not only clean up the muddiness of a sound, it will also give you more space or headroom for the mid's/high's making your mix seem louder without compression.

-We are most sensitive to frequency's from 1khz to about 6khz, a small boost in this range will generally be more noticeable than a small boost at say 500 hz.
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'm definitely no professional, but since i started producing Dance music in 2006 or so, i have definitely noticed that significant improvements in production definitely don't come overnight or in any kind of linear fasion.

Little bit of a vague question, but i think i know what you mean roughly. The way i see it, how to make your dance music sound pro is down to - hard work/dedication/formulating techniques/deciding what does or doesnt work for you and time. I think the whole idea of magic EQ tips and so forth or any other production tips that are meant to compensate for many years experience are rubbish and far too subjective.

To me production / mixing has always been a personal / objective thing. Over time your ears will develop and the way you perceive different sounds etc. will improve a lot..

EQing might be a bit tough to get your head around at first, it might be an idea to get a hang of how the basics of subtractive EQ and hipassing etc. works first before you get too indepth with it. For instance, hipassing/rolling off a certain amount that your ear dictates on different sounds, for instance, you might decide to hipass below 250-300hz on your open hat and so forth. There seems to be a really common idea to hipass 100-250hz or more on most sounds except your kick and bass for dance music. I know producers who go crazy with hipassing but if you take off too much you'll end up thinning your sounds out quite a bit.

If you're having big issues fitting you're synth and bass sounds together, it might be a better idea to choose a different sound or sounds rather than trying to carve up your synth so much that it ends up "kinda" fitting, but sounds ****. If you choose to right sounds to begin with it'll definitely make mixing and EQing far less of a ballache.

Sorry if this isn't the answer you were looking for. But i thought i'd give my personal opinion. Keep up the good work and good luck
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Another thing Ive found is stuff like sweeps and effects you can often high pass the crap out of as the lows/low midish area isn't usually needed at all.
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Gotta Gun ➑️
1. Get out now while you still can. 2. Take up a nice, dishonourable profession 3. Make truck loads of money. 7. When a long legged Swedish blonde named Anikka drags you back onto the dance floor...
... have Inga, Monica and Tonica (last night's Captain's bunnies) suggest her that you love to be flattered with the words:

"why don't we listen again to that track you mixed today, honey? It makes me so hot... best dance music I ever heard. How do you get that nice synth sound btw? You're really amazing".

You won't even need to look back at your DJ career with any regret.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't understand what's the problem. If you want that PRO sounds - just buy the SEM PRO.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think it's knowing what sounds good and what not, and this probably one of the hardest skill to get. Some people probably have a natural sharp ear for this and the rest just have to train it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➑️
I don't understand what's the problem. If you want that PRO sounds - just buy the SEM PRO.
Always thought I need to buy PROTools
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Well, I think a lot of people in the Internet have no clue how to achieve that pro sound. When I listen to my stuff and then listen to a pro release, the pro stuff is big, full, wide, deep, clear and warm. While mine seems thin and less vibrant, kind of dull and dry.

I don't know where the pros get their sound from, maybe it's in the mastering stage, the mixing, the producing stage, maybe it comes from using high end hardware, or the skills of the producer, but there is something they do that is beyond equing, parallel compression, using reverb, playing with the stereo, layering and all those tricks that are written on the forums, these do help, but there's something more, and I don't know what.

Now I like using parallel processing, doubling the tracks and applying eq, comp, reverb, pan, and then mixing the two tracks. You can do it with everything, drums, synth, etc.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluttypat ➑️
Well, I think a lot of people in the Internet have no clue how to achieve that pro sound. When I listen to my stuff and then listen to a pro release, the pro stuff is big, full, wide, deep, clear and warm. While mine seems thin and less vibrant, kind of dull and dry.

I don't know where the pros get their sound from, maybe it's in the mastering stage, the mixing, the producing stage, maybe it comes from using high end hardware, or the skills of the producer, but there is something they do that is beyond equing, parallel compression, using reverb, playing with the stereo, layering and all those tricks that are written on the forums, these do help, but there's something more, and I don't know what.

Now I like using parallel processing, doubling the tracks and applying eq, comp, reverb, pan, and then mixing the two tracks. You can do it with everything, drums, synth, etc.
Send me a premaster if you're feeling adventurous. I'd love to see if I can get you in the right direction. For science...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

hire a pro
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma ➑️
indeed. i'd say it actually does take about a decade to REALLY get to that point. there's a great deal of things you have to master, and they all take time.
Oh for sure.
Producing aside the engineering thing can take years to master.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 ➑️
Send me a premaster if you're feeling adventurous. I'd love to see if I can get you in the right direction. For science...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
what do you use hardware or software?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
you get the PRO SOUND when you are PRO, so if you want to sound pro you have to be PRO>
lol
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
practice practice practice...thats all...on a space of the years you will see a huge improvement month by month if you simply practice,produce and learn,like all of us willing to make something good
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
In Fruty Loops,

File->Preferences->Advanced options, now just tick the 'Activate PRO sound' box, done!
πŸ“ Reply