Quantcast
Oberheim Xpander alternatives? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oberheim Xpander alternatives?
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oberheim Xpander alternatives?

Do you guys know if there are any?I suppose it would have to be a software clone or anything with a similar signal flow.Perhaps someone who has created a Reaktor ensemble.I guess everyone would love to have one but i'm not ready to part with so much money asked for it.Especially for a machine that has reportedly appeared problematic on several occasions...
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've had an Xpander for 22 years, and I never found a machine that can replace it. The Eurorack has a filter that emulates it, but I haven't taken the dive into modular money madness yet.

Here's an interesting vid of Nitzer Ebb using Reason to emulate it.

Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted ➑️
I've had an Xpander for 22 years, and I never found a machine that can replace it. The Eurorack has a filter that emulates it, but I haven't taken the dive into modular money madness yet.

Here's an interesting vid of Nitzer Ebb using Reason to emulate it.

I've yet to find an Xpander owner that was unhappy.Some six months ago a friend of mine (whose opinion on synths is to be trusted) got the chance to see one in action & was blown away.

The link is for a video where Harris explains how he created the "Promises" baseline, right?Will watch again as it has been a while since the last time.Thanx Ghosted...!
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin nowhow ➑️
I've yet to find an Xpander owner that was unhappy.
I heard some that were unhappy because it doesn't sound like a Roland.

I'm glad it doesn't! I have a Jupiter 6, MKS-80 and a an MKS-50. I love the way it contrasts those machines. Totally different.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I heard some that were unhappy because it doesn't sound like a Roland.
!!!What can i say?Whatever floats their boat i guess...
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Here's an Xpander track I always liked that's not "industrial". Most of the music is an Xpander.

Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm currently having a problem loading the links here & at the NIN thread on my iPhone & my computer has crashed :(.Will check all of them out as soon as I can from another computer tomorrow & get back at you...
Old 17th September 2012
Deleted User
I have found when I compared my Xpander and NI SEM V that the SEM V can give a characteer of the Xpander. Sometimes I use SEM V to layer the Xpander.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sasha created even EP with (only?) using Xpander.... hence the title of the EP!

The fast opening and particulary the reverb/delay effect along the sequence of this song still gives me goosebumps.

Perhaps only thing that annoyed me was that it's a bit too repetive as I expected some changes. Fantastic opening but then it get stuck with the basic structure.

Xpander alternative? How about Matrix-6(r)?
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The obvious alternative is the Matrix-6/1000. We're definitely talking about junior vs. senior here, but so is the price. I have an Xpander and an M1000 and use both. The not so obvious alt is the Matrix-12...

r,
j,
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
the Matrix-1000 is a fantastic analog synth but very underrated.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Here's an Xpander track I always liked that's not "industrial". Most of the music is an Xpander.

I don't think that's right. AFAIK most of the basslines on that album was from a KOBOL Expander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL-8W875IaU

Last edited by leitner6; 18th September 2012 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: stupid youtube
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love my Xpander and it takes some beating for raw power and the rich sounds it can make.

If you want relatively cheap alternatives, and you're not so purist and unrealistic to expect perfection, then, of the hardware synths I own, a Roland JP-80x0 (my favourite is the JP-8080) can approach good Xpander-ish sounds and my Novation Supernova 2 makes a decent stab at it too. If you don't like them you'd likely get your money back when you sell them.
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistor ➑️
The obvious alternative is the Matrix-6/1000.
+1

it's blinding obvious

character and sound are the first thing you want from an expander emulation,

and, for those, oberheim original hardware is not comparable to any VA.

If you want ROUTINGS comparable to the expander's, without much reference to its SOUND, then possibilities are infnite, but I don't care much for them

Grab a matrix-1000 and a bcr2000 ad a programming interface,

OR find a matrix-6 (sound+interface) AND a matrix-1000 (added polyphony/layers)

you will have to fork around 250/300 bucks for a matrix1000, 350/400 for a matrix-6, both in mint condition.

It's a very reliable instrument
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistor ➑️
The obvious alternative is the Matrix-6/1000. We're definitely talking about junior vs. senior here, but so is the price. I have an Xpander and an M1000 and use both
Agree. That's not a bad idea (I had a Matrix1000 before as well, as companion to my Xpander). Matrix1000/6/6R is absolutely underestimated and gives that sweet Oberheim sound to a low budget.

Xpander is not a beast on fat free diet, it has sharp claws and can beat up and slayer every other analog synth of its kind. But still, do not underestimate and turn your back to the Matrix1000/6/6R - it will beat you up!
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thank you all for your time guys!Whenever I think of the Xpander it's the sound AND routing/signal flow & Ozy was right to point it out.He also said that he cares more for the sound than anything else & I can relate.This synth is covered with mystique in my mind & the fact that it was probably responsible for a bassline that cannot be created from another synth easily (Nitzer Ebb's Without Belief) makes it seem even elitist.The M1000 is probably something I should check out too.

The JP-8080 was always one of my favorite synths.Don't own one but I'm familiar with it.Don't know if it relates to an Xpander as The Elf suggested but definitely a good buy.

And then there is the Doepfer A-106-6 Xpander filter module that Ghosted suggested.I already have a custom modular so this perhaps could bring me one step closer to that bassline mentioned & the Xpander in general...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet ➑️
I have found when I compared my Xpander and NI SEM V that the SEM V can give a characteer of the Xpander. Sometimes I use SEM V to layer the Xpander.
The NI SEM V is even rarer to than the Xpander, though. Very hard to get hold of. You don't hear about them often - actually, I think today is the first time.

Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A6 Andromeda can get get you into Xpander sounds and felxible routing ... it also gets you into Memorymoog and a whole lot of other galaxies of sounds too.

Xpanders are fun but they're not eveyone's taste - lots of filter types and options tho overal not a mindblowing filter sound..... EGs a re not lightening fast..... but you do have the most 'modular' like mod routings of any vintage analogue ... still have mine but don't use it so much.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The JP-8080 was always one of my favorite synths.Don't own one but I'm familiar with it.Don't know if it relates to an Xpander as The Elf suggested but definitely a good buy.
It is a good synth indeed.

It's a nightmare suggesting anything on this forum, because there's always someone lurking to jump in with 'it sounds nothing like...'. Of course it doesn't sound like an Xpander!!

I'm just suggesting it as something that does a similar job for a good price. But it sounds as if you're already aware of that. Nice to hear from someone who can look past the 'VA' tag and know a good synth when he hears it!
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elf ➑️
It is a good synth indeed.

It's a nightmare suggesting anything on this forum, because there's always someone lurking to jump in with 'it sounds nothing like...'. Of course it doesn't sound like an Xpander!!

I'm just suggesting it as something that does a similar job for a good price. But it sounds as if you're already aware of that. Nice to hear from someone who can look past the 'VA' tag and know a good synth when he hears it!
I even like its looks!To me a synth is great no matter analogue, harsh digital, VA, soft.If I like it that's all there is to it.The only thing I'm not keen on is obscure sub menus on VA's but the JP has you covered there with lots of control.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster ➑️
A6 Andromeda can get get you into Xpander sounds and felxible routing ... it also gets you into Memorymoog and a whole lot of other galaxies of sounds too.

Xpanders are fun but they're not eveyone's taste - lots of filter types and options tho overal not a mindblowing filter sound..... EGs a re not lightening fast..... but you do have the most 'modular' like mod routings of any vintage analogue ... still have mine but don't use it so much.
The Andromeda huh?Somehow I don't find the comparison strange.It's another synth I know little about & has a lot of potential from what I've gathered.This was something i 've never thought before so thank you for pointing it out Beermaster(very cool alias by the way).
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The Andromeda huh?Somehow I don't find the comparison strange.It's another synth I know little about & has a lot of potential from what I've gathered.This was something i 've never thought before so thank you for pointing it out Beermaster(very cool alias by the way).
EDIT:So I guess investing on a filter emulation module like the Doepfer wouldn't interest you much, right?That is if you are/were into modulars as you said that the Xpander's filter is nothing special...

I completely messed this post up !Sorry...
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
jp8080'. Of course it doesn't sound like an Xpander!!
perfect synthesis.

Check the thread's headline
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy ➑️
perfect synthesis.

Check the thread's headline
'Alternative' is what I'm reading in the headline. The JP-80*0 is an alternative.
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha ➑️
The NI SEM V is even rarer to than the Xpander, though. Very hard to get hold of. You don't hear about them often - actually, I think today is the first time.

Yes, NI SEM V are extremely rare . I mean Arturia SEM V of course
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The JP-80*0 is an alternative.

Good one.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➑️
Good one.
I know nothing about how the Xpander works but i guess he was talking about the possibilities & options offered by the JP's...Perhaps some similarities there?
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet ➑️
Could that be because of the SEM V's 8-poly programmer in mono mode?I've read about it but looks like i have to give it a try.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
maybe you could team up an Akai MFC42 and Matrix 1000 for a poor mans Xpander...
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i had an xpander for years. i sold it when i A/B'd two Matrix 1000's midi'd together, panned hard left/right...then detuned -8 and +8 on Fine Tuning in the global menu. Sounded bigger and fatter than my xpander. I use ObieEditor on a Mac g5 dedicated to just that purpose. I never miss my Xpander.

My two M1000's and my OB TVS with sequencer is all the oberheim i need : )
πŸ“ Reply