Quantcast
Oberheim Xpander alternatives? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oberheim Xpander alternatives?
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
  #31
ozy
Lives for gear
 
ozy's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elf ➑️
'Alternative' is what I'm reading in the headline. The JP-80*0 is an alternative.
so is a fender stratocaster.

Come on, "alternative" means "another less expensive instruments which has more or less the same sound, character and features"...

Otherwise of course ANYTHING can be "an alternative" to anything else.

The xpander is notoriously a "fat", "sweet", "warm" synth, witgh plenty of routing alternatives.

The jp8080 is a rather harsh, cutting synth, with a brilliant vocoder.

Completely different machines.

Well, whatever.
Old 17th September 2012
  #32
Gear Addict
 
FabGear's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
As VA's go the Alesis Ion appears to have been greatly inspired by the Xpander with 16 Filter types and matrix modulation.
Old 17th September 2012
  #33
Lives for gear
 
kevin nowhow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
maybe you could team up an Akai MFC42 and Matrix 1000 for a poor mans Xpander...
Oh does the MFC42 strike a chord...!I had the chance to get it brand new at half the price when it came out or around that time.I chose to go for an RS-7000 which used to cost 3 tines more & eventually sold it for less money than a new MFC42.Purely idiotic, considering i had an RM1x anyway...
Old 17th September 2012
  #34
Lives for gear
 
kevin nowhow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo ➑️
i had an xpander for years. i sold it when i A/B'd two Matrix 1000's midi'd together, panned hard left/right...then detuned -8 and +8 on Fine Tuning in the global menu. Sounded bigger and fatter than my xpander. I use ObieEditor on a Mac g5 dedicated to just that purpose. I never miss my Xpander.

My two M1000's and my OB TVS with sequencer is all the oberheim i need : )
Seems like the M1000 gets a lot of votes here.It's fairly cheap but can you control it without spending the same amount for a librarian/editor?
Old 17th September 2012
  #35
Lives for gear
 
kevin nowhow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabGear ➑️
As VA's go the Alesis Ion appears to have been greatly inspired by the Xpander with 16 Filter types and matrix modulation.
Yet another synth I consider "obscure" because i never got the chance to play with it.

What do you guys think of the Doepfer filter module?Would it be a step forward?I mean i already have an expanding modular & this module would at least take me somewhere interesting even if it doesn't sound the same.What i know is that the Doepfer people use the same chips to emulate filters, as long as they can get 'em so, in theory, it could sound the same...
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
  #36
Gear Guru
 
SWAN808's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin nowhow ➑️
Oh does the MFC42 strike a chord...!I had the chance to get it brand new at half the price when it came out or around that time.I chose to go for an RS-7000 which used to cost 3 tines more & eventually sold it for less money than a new MFC42.Purely idiotic, considering i had an RM1x anyway...
to be honest the main strength of the akai mfc is that it has a lot of functionality - good midi envelope, LFO, multimode, phaser all on the unit....but the sound itself isnt amazing...but unless you go for an ebb-flut whatever - there isnt really anything else with the midi aspect...but if you had modular gear you could prob hook up an env and filter that way...its just quite easy to plug the synth output and midi output into the MFC...
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
  #37
Lives for gear
 
initself's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I am not the best synthesist in the world, but I have both a Matrix 6R, which I have primarily only used with its presets and an Xpander, which I have hardly used in any substantial way and never on any recording yet, even though I have had it for 5 years (during which time I barely touched any other synth either).

Anywhoo, playing around with it, I found the menu system to be confusing and then once I got the hang of it, it was hard to adjust parameters in meaningful ways. I think it demands that you really understand synth programming: what an LFO does, what filters do, etc. The basics. It doesn't give you much in the way of instant gratification.

Contrast this to the Nord Lead where you've got all the params at your fingertips with knobs and you just turn and fly.

The sound is special, that is certain. The Xpander seems a bit beefier than the Matrix 6R but they both sound like Oberheim. You could go a long way with a Matrix 6R if you had a software editor.

I hope to hook up a software editor to both someday and really go to town.

Just wanted to throw out the beginner's perspective and note the lack of instant gratification I experienced.
Old 17th September 2012
  #38
Lives for gear
 
kevin nowhow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
to be honest the main strength of the akai mfc is that it has a lot of functionality - good midi envelope, LFO, multimode, phaser all on the unit....but the sound itself isnt amazing...but unless you go for an ebb-flut whatever - there isnt really anything else with the midi aspect...but if you had modular gear you could prob hook up an env and filter that way...its just quite easy to plug the synth output and midi output into the MFC...
Exactly.The reason i get upset when it comes to the Akai is mainly what I mentioned earlier.I was actually working at a Yamaha/Akai/more retailer at the time & had it sitting there, no one wanting it.Instead of getting it with my discount i opted for a Yamaha sequencer which was considerably more expensive(discount included) & did not need it.Now that i've finally managed to go modular a module filter makes more sence, which is why i'm asking about the Doepfer Xpander...
Old 17th September 2012
  #39
Lives for gear
 
kevin nowhow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by initself ➑️
I am not the best synthesist in the world, but I have both a Matrix 6R, which I have primarily only used with its presets and an Xpander, which I have hardly used in any substantial way and never on any recording yet, even though I have had it for 5 years (during which time I barely touched any other synth either).

Anywhoo, playing around with it, I found the menu system to be confusing and then once I got the hang of it, it was hard to adjust parameters in meaningful ways. I think it demands that you really understand synth programming: what an LFO does, what filters do, etc. The basics. It doesn't give you much in the way of instant gratification.

Contrast this to the Nord Lead where you've got all the params at your fingertips with knobs and you just turn and fly.

The sound is special, that is certain. The Xpander seems a bit beefier than the Matrix 6R but they both sound like Oberheim. You could go a long way with a Matrix 6R if you had a software editor.

I hope to hook up a software editor to both someday and really go to town.

Just wanted to throw out the beginner's perspective and note the lack of instant gratification I experienced.
I see.Menus on synths are not my thing.I sold my Virus C because of that.Plenty of knobs but the only way to get into the overwhelming modulation parameters was, of course, through sub menus.I ended up using presets apart from some bread'n'butter sounds & wasn't happy with that.I just don't have the patience for that sort of thing.I believe the TI version solves this plus it has its own editor/VST.I've also heard that problems on Xpanders usually appear on the menu/LCD part.
Old 17th September 2012
  #40
Lives for gear
 
lestermagneto's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Does anyone know of any MacOSX native "reliable" Oberheim Matrix 12 editors, I know Xplorer is out their for Windows, and I have tried unsuccessfully to get SoundQwest or whatever to work (was years ago I admit)....
Old 17th September 2012
  #41
Gear Maniac
 
FullCount's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Save your money and buy a real Xpander.
Old 17th September 2012
  #42
Lives for gear
 
kevin nowhow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto ➑️
Does anyone know of any MacOSX native "reliable" Oberheim Matrix 12 editors, I know Xplorer is out their for Windows, and I have tried unsuccessfully to get SoundQwest or whatever to work (was years ago I admit)....
I know a lot of people have worked on templates inside Cubase.I don't know your program of choice or if there are any out there covering your needs.Just a thought...
Old 17th September 2012
  #43
Lives for gear
 
kevin nowhow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCount ➑️
Save your money and buy a real Xpander.
I get your point, honestly, but a modular is an ever-Xpanding[ ] project & since i'm already down that road i think it's better for me to spend large amounts of money there.If there were any soft synths out there (not necessarily direct clones) I'd consider it.I already have several oldies & frankly I'm terrified of potential repair issues.An Xpander won't come cheap & I've seen people reporting problems which is possibly the only reason I don't wanna buy one.If it were 500€ fine but alas it isn't...
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
  #44
Lives for gear
 
lestermagneto's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin nowhow ➑️
I know a lot of people have worked on templates inside Cubase.I don't know your program of choice or if there are any out there covering your needs.Just a thought...
I use Ableton Live and Logic most of the time.....
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
  #45
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by leitner6 ➑️
I don't think that's right. AFAIK most of the basslines on that album was from a KOBOL Expander.


Damn. I think you're right. I can certainly hear the Xpander during the intro but on that bassline the attack and tone are spot on. Very cool.

However, $4,000 for a 1979 monosynth with no MIDI is a bit steep.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
  #46
Lives for gear
 
rolo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin nowhow ➑️
Seems like the M1000 gets a lot of votes here.It's fairly cheap but can you control it without spending the same amount for a librarian/editor?

dude ObieEditor is F R E E.
Old 18th September 2012
  #47
Lives for gear
 
kevin nowhow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo ➑️
dude ObieEditor is F R E E.
Cool name...Thanks!
Old 18th September 2012
  #48
Lives for gear
 
kevin nowhow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto ➑️
I use Ableton Live and Logic most of the time.....
While checking out Obie Editor that Rolo suggested i found this:
http://m.bareille.free.fr/synlibmx6/synlibmx6.htm
and this:
http://home.hiwaay.net/~cornutt/Musi...000X_home.html

First one Windows only, the second OSX(as far as I could see on the small iPhone screen).Hope one does it for you...

EDIT:Just saw you are looking for a Matrix 12 editor.I'm sorry, please ignore the post!
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
lestermagneto's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin nowhow ➑️
While checking out Obie Editor that Rolo suggested i found this:
Papareil Synlib OBERHEIM Matrix 6
and this:
M1000X - OSX Patch Editor for Oberheim Matrix-6/6R/1000

First one Windows only, the second OSX(as far as I could see on the small iPhone screen).Hope one does it for you...

EDIT:Just saw you are looking for a Matrix 12 editor.I'm sorry, please ignore the post!
Kevin, thanks anyway for taking the time to post links, appreciate it!
Old 18th September 2012
  #50
Lives for gear
 
kevin nowhow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto ➑️
Kevin, thanks anyway for taking the time to post links, appreciate it!
No prob, really wish I could help!
It was a long day & the only thing I remembered was that Soundquest wasn't doing it for you.Hope you find something helpful as indeed i didn't find anything.
Old 18th September 2012
  #51
Lives for gear
 
kevin nowhow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted Userc ➑️
I honestly can't tell how close it is, but in fact one of the two filters in A6 was based on Oberheim's SEM, the other one is a Moog'ish one. Having an A6 is like having a bunch of classics combined into one, and yet it sounds like an A6, ie, it has an overall sound of its own.

I've always wanted an Xpander though, but I don't think I will be able to get it in the foreseable future.

Btw, the A6 is nowadays commanding more bucks than an Xpander, so it's probably not a good recommendation based on your budget constraints.


Good thread, I will see if someone posts a good alternative, but, as usual, the real thing is the real thing...


.
I hope Arturia decides to take that route.They seem to have a good thing going with emulations & an Expander/Matrix 12 would be a great addition, I reckon.We certainly don't need another 303/808/909/101 IMHO.

A Buchla of some sorts would be loveable too...
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
  #52
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
A matrix 1000 does not sound like an Xpander any more than an MKS-50 sounds like an MKS-80.

Common tone? Yes. But it's like buying a Slim Phatty when you really wanted the Voyager. It's a waste of money because you'll never be satisfied.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
  #53
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
the Chroma Polaris shares both oscillator and filter chips with the Xpander:

CEM3372 Filter/Mix/VCA, 6x 3374 Dual VCO

More info here: Curtis CEM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great sounding machine, never played an Xpander so I don't know how close the basic sound is but i imagine it must be fairly similar if they have the same oscillator and filter chips (although the Xpander obviously has a lot more crazy modulation possibilities).
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
  #54
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by frico ➑️
the Chroma Polaris shares both oscillator and filter chips with the Xpander:

CEM3372 Filter/Mix/VCA, 6x 3374 Dual VCO

More info here: Curtis CEM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great sounding machine, never played an Xpander so I don't know how close the basic sound is but i imagine it must be fairly similar if they have the same oscillator and filter chips (although the Xpander obviously has a lot more crazy modulation possibilities).
It is not just about the chips.

Tips & Tricks
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
  #55
Lives for gear
 
lestermagneto's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin nowhow ➑️
No prob, really wish I could help!
It was a long day & the only thing I remembered was that Soundquest wasn't doing it for you.Hope you find something helpful as indeed i didn't find anything.
Seems like I am out of luck. I actually just had dinner with Bon Harris of Nitzer Ebb this evening (mentioned earlier in the thread), and he said the closest he had seen for any kind of librarian/editor for the Xpander/Matrix12 was some Cubase stuff he had seen some friends do. Midi/Soundqwest or whatever was a clusterfrag for me, seemed to screw up everything. Wish sounddiver or Opcodes Galaxy was still in existence, but there obviously isn't the demand or $$ for such a thing.
And as someone mentioned earlier, yeah, it would be great if Arturia or G-Force would go down the path of a VA of said synths, GForce's Imposcar 2 I think implements an oberheim style filter, so I imagine they spent the time to model that, and the SEM by arturia has gone down similar roads, ... but the world could need a virtual xpander more then another 808/minimoog/2oscsynth emulation that's for sure... there are many VA's with deep modulation routing, but i haven't heard one quite capture that... but then again, the xpander and matrix 12 are a BEAST to program, at least for me, I seem to forget how to work the thing everytime i turn it on... but that's probably just many years and many beers under the bridge sadly...
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
  #56
Lives for gear
 
Demokid's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted ➑️
Here's an Xpander track I always liked that's not "industrial". Most of the music is an Xpander.

Just love this track! :D

The Alesis Andromeda A6 can sound a bit like an Expander but the Expander has much more filter capabilities.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
  #57
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
-Akai vx600
-Marion systems (=Tom Oberheim) msr-2 or prosynth

These are unpleasant to programme but definitely a step up in sound compared to M1000/Cheetah ms-6 / Matrix6? ... and still cheaper than an Xpander ...
Old 18th September 2012
  #58
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
There are a couple of poly and mono options. You can get the mutable instruments shruthi-1 with the pole mission filter.
Another future option would be the mfb dominion 5. It's going to be a 5 voice poly, each voice with 3 vco's, a multimode filter with six types, plenty of interesting modulation options, and other interesting stuff like analog fm, cross mod, ring mod etc. But it'll only be presented in a few months.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
  #59
ozy
Lives for gear
 
ozy's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted ➑️
it's like buying a Slim Phatty when you really wanted the Voyager. It's a waste of money because you'll never be satisfied.
in synthesis:

"you wanted an affordable alternative to the expander? Buy TWO xpanders, and add a four-voice as a layering/fattening module, OR YOU WILL BE SAD AND UNSATISFIED FOREVER".

In other terms:

"stop making music until you are a millionaire"
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
  #60
Lives for gear
 
Transistor's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto ➑️
Seems like I am out of luck. I actually just had dinner with Bon Harris of Nitzer Ebb this evening (mentioned earlier in the thread), and he said the closest he had seen for any kind of librarian/editor for the Xpander/Matrix12 was some Cubase stuff he had seen some friends do. Midi/Soundqwest or whatever was a clusterfrag for me, seemed to screw up everything. Wish sounddiver or Opcodes Galaxy was still in existence, but there obviously isn't the demand or $$ for such a thing
If you can scare up a copy of Sounddiver, it'll run like a charm on at least Win7 (32 and 64). Given that they don't use the tech at all, Emagic/Apple should just release it into the PD, imho. It's still the best generic editor out there.

r,
j,
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 54 views: 10016
Avatar for Teddy Ray
Teddy Ray 12th November 2009
replies: 57 views: 39028
Avatar for Deleted 7a792f4
Deleted 7a792f4 12th April 2019
replies: 617 views: 96899
Avatar for gypsymoth
gypsymoth 13th February 2020
replies: 87 views: 9462
Avatar for string6theory
string6theory 12th February 2021
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump