Quantcast
Can I trigger my 808? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can I trigger my 808?
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can I trigger my 808?

...By triggering I mean sending gate/trigger signals from other analogues via a modified cable into my 808/606's Din Sync.Love how drum machines like these can trigger other modules/sequencers but i would really fancy going the opposite way.If it's not rocket-science & someone knows how to hack this I'd more than appreciate the information...

Cheerz everyone!
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
By default, the 808 can only be triggered by the DIN sync input port. The port supports setting the tempo and start/stop the sequencer.
If you want more... there is a company in the UK called Kenton that can fit your 808 with a retrofit kit. The kit allows you to trigger the drums individually by either analog gates or midi with a separate cv/gate to midi controller. Kenton Electronics MIDI controllers retrofits wireless
If you still want more... there are electronics engineers on the web that can add cv control (e.g. setting the bassdrum pitch and sustain).
Please be aware that the more MODs are added, the more of its original functionality is lost.

Cheers,
Martin
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Martin & thank you for answering!

I know about Kenton but alas nothing about applied electronics.Thus I was hoping that a simple hacking on a lead would do the trick.What i was looking for is a means to bypass the start/stop/tempo messages of DIN sync, turning it into a global-for-the-machine trigger-in much like an analog sequencer.The Kenton kit you are referring to is, if not mistaken, about the KADI port which means that I'll need a converter, also fitted with a KADI port.I guess the only way is to go that way.I just needed to ask this before settling down...
Old 4th October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Sorry, but there is no simple hack to add control to the 808 from an external source.
The KADI port from Kenton with controller is worth the money if you want to be able to trigger the individual drums via MIDI.

Martin
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin909 ➑️
Sorry, but there is no simple hack to add control to the 808 from an external source.
The KADI port from Kenton with controller is worth the money if you want to be able to trigger the individual drums via MIDI.

Martin
Got it.Thank you Martin, appreciate it...!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…