Quantcast
Distorted kicks / kick types - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Distorted kicks / kick types
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Distorted kicks / kick types

Suprisingly I haven't seen a post with this topic!

I was wondering how one made distorted kicks. The classic is this type of distortion:

(LOL)

Then there's a softer type (my favourite), exacly how are those soft, yet distorted kicks made ???

And then you have the classic hardcore kick:

Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Kick + distortion pedal or overdriving the mixer input.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
exact. most of the above are probably 909/707 kicks either samples or real with distortion. you'd be surprised how just eq or level riding how the 'colour' changes.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I agree that it's best to start with a simple source like 909 (or just use any synth to do a basic pitch envelope to an osc), then drive it thru a distortion, then eq to liking. Making a distorted kick is pretty straightforward. Different distortion units/plugins give different result.

Damn that MWNN track kicks a**, love it. 90's at it's best.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
For the hardcore kicks try pitch-dropping a square wave
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you can try taking a kick, playing with the release/decay, then applying distortion to it, high passing it, and layering it back in with the original.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
with a distortion plugin?
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks so far Any recommendations on a distortion plug that will do this softly? I find software distortions to be too digital and harsh. Maybe there's a circuit sim one?

Also what would be just as useful would be a tip on what sample library would have these kicks.
Old 16th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Lens ➑️
Thanks so far Any recommendations on a distortion plug that will do this softly? I find software distortions to be too digital and harsh. Maybe there's a circuit sim one?

Also what would be just as useful would be a tip on what sample library would have these kicks.
Of the topic a little but its funny how most things I read lately on here referring to ITB sounds harsh or to digital. Ha ha crazy funny I think.
Old 16th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechno ➑️
Of the topic a little but its funny how most things I read lately on here referring to ITB sounds harsh or to digital. Ha ha crazy funny I think.
Haha, it depends on the DSP, but when it comes to the distortion I want it has to be soft, and not so harsh, and I didn't find that.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There's lots of good distortion plugins..lots of threads about them too. decimort, decapitator, ohmicide are ones I like a lot. Camelcrusher is also cool..Any guitar amp plugin would work..
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
redoptor
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Lens ➑️
Plugins never did it right IMO, the best I've tried are Soundtoys. Echoboy is ok for subtle tape saturation (delay off), but even that needs hardware processing afterwards to sound good. As you say, plugin distortion sounds digital and harsh, also more 2D and thin compared to hw.

Try overdriving your soundcard (run the sample out from DAW and back into DAW hot) and see where it takes you. Try the preamps also if you have them. A good hw distortion option would be an old 100 euro (or less) mixer like a Mackie from ebay.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
A better option would be a bunch of cheap stompboxes so you don't demolish your mixer or your soundcard's output.

Also, in several cases you can simply sample the (monophonic) distorted result and run EQ over it again. There's no rule against resampling.

It doesn't all have to come from a single device - those are the artificial barriers that people make for themselves (and because nothing comes from a single device, people keep searching and failling to achieve their goal).
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle ➑️
A good hw distortion option would be an old 100 euro (or less) mixer like a Mackie from ebay.
Or a little Studiomaster Trilogy. Mackie is rather on-off about its breakup and switches from clean straight to razor blade. However, many desks and little mixers do something useful for this task.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I believe this would be a really good solution: WaveArts Tube Saturator

It can go from soft to almost hard, but hey, they can be stacked. Furthermore, you can add something like Camel Phat for that OTT distortion.
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks
Old 10th October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Another way to get 'smooth' kick distortion that was popular in old Chicago house was to run a 909 kick very hot through a reel to reel tape deck to get a combo of tape saturation along with the distortion from the internal circuitry. That's exactly what I did on the 909 kick for the track in my sig below.
πŸ“ Reply