First Synth - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
First Synth
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demokid ➡️
Buy a good master keyboard which you can use to control software synthesizers.

Check out a used Access Virus KC or KB. They work great as master keyboards and sounds pretty good. I use a KC live to control both external gear as well as internal sounds on the KC.
have zero experience in software synths or midi....I do have ableton live but not used it....
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Managed to acquire the arturia Jupiter 8 soft synth, brings back some memories, playing using the mouse lol.... Is it easy to just a keyboard in?
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
yeah get a nice usb midi keyboard. you can find used m-audio for very cheap.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
is it real simple to do that. I have no experience in using ableton or midi whatsoever..
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
its plug n play, baby! :p i dont use ableton.. i use reason 6 and fl studio 10 and all you have to do for either is...

1.install the windows driver

2.plug in the keyboard
open your D.A.W. (ableton, pro-tools, fl studio, reason, etc)

3.find the midi options menu

4.press scan or find

5.once it finds your midi board click it and press ok or accept

6. start rockin out with your c9ck out! :p
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
lol.....thanks, gives me food for thought... would be a cheap option unti the arturia minibrute is available here in UK.... Can you control the standalone vsts that way as well.. Do the VST knobs and sliders get assigned automatically or do you do that yourself?
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goony ➡️
lol.....thanks, gives me food for thought... would be a cheap option unti the arturia minibrute is available here in UK.... Can you control the standalone vsts that way as well.. Do the VST knobs and sliders get assigned automatically or do you do that yourself?
some standalone vsts can some cant. depends on the vsti. also the sliders n knobs can be asigned automatically depends as well lol. depends on the keyboard. most of em pretty easy to map tho. instead of using the vsti as a standalone why not get reaper d.a.w.? or install ubuntu linux and get a free d.a.w. that works just as well as any paid d.a.w.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
ardour for linux is the daw for linux i was thinking of.. its amazing software! its free but you are encouraged to make a donation.

www.ardour.org
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
think I'v narrowed it down to the Novation Ultranova, 2 reasons, first it seems to be good for the money (£480 in UK), secondly the Automap/midi audio interface, so I can link it to the VST's I have acquired such as the Arturia Jupiter 8, mini moog V amongst others..

Now my only question would be, how would I use this in a live situation, does the output of the soft synths go out via the ultranova? Or do I have to buy something to plug into my amp?
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
think I'v narrowed it down to the Novation Ultranova, 2 reasons, first it seems to be good for the money (£480 in UK), secondly the Automap/midi audio interface, so I can link it to the VST's I have acquired such as the Arturia Jupiter 8, mini moog V amongst others..

Now my only question would be, how would I use this in a live situation, does the output of the soft synths go out via the ultranova? Or do I have to buy something to plug into my amp?
They go out through ultranova into your amp/speaker/mixer
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

The outputs from your soft synths will come out of your computer not the ultranova, sound will only come out of the ultranova if you're using it as a synth (not MIDI controller for your soft synths) and its plugged into headphones or speakers

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
the ultranova is a great synth.. been thinkin bout buyin one my self.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi all,
Im looking to buy my first Synth. I have got about £500 to £600 to spend,
I have been looking at the Roland Gaia, Novation Ultranova, Korg R3, M Audio Venom, I wouldve looked at the Arturia minibrute but the release date for UK seems to be non existant. Any others I have missed, (not keen on Yamaha)...

I want to create 80s style music aka Numanesque, Depeche, OMD stuff.....
Two letters, one punctuation mark, 3 numbers: JD-800 (as used by Depeche and Numan) Widest range of sounds of any of my synths past or present (aside from other romplers) but with a sound of it's own. It bridges the gap between Analog/Digital where it counts and as an ONLY synth? It would do you proud and be inspiring to use thanks to it's interface. It is also within your budget. If you have some left get a JX-3P to layer/combo with it, FM8 software for your FM needs and you have a lot of bases covered.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
finding one of them for sale, is rare indeed..
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwell7 ➡️
The outputs from your soft synths will come out of your computer not the ultranova, sound will only come out of the ultranova if you're using it as a synth (not MIDI controller for your soft synths) and its plugged into headphones or speakers

Except that Ultranova can be used as an audio interface, two outputs for your daw and two for the synth.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
so from that im guessing that in a live gig situation the output from the soft synths would be routed via the ultranova outputs 3&4..
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
so from that im guessing that in a live gig situation the output from the soft synths would be routed via the ultranova outputs 3&4..
Check the manual, relevant info on page 35 http://d19ulaff0trnck.cloudfront.net...userguide2.pdf

They can come separetly or mixed, synth/daw/imputs
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by login ➡️
Except that Ultranova can be used as an audio interface, two outputs for your daw and two for the synth.
I stand corrected, my bad, that's pretty cool, what's the quality of the interface like?

Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
finding one of them for sale, is rare indeed..
JD-800? There are probably 4 a month listed on ebay UK - going price around £400 average (good condition). Sometimes higher sometimes lower.

See all the synths in my 'gone' part of my sig? I've had all those and would still take JD-800 over ANY of them even if JD cost twice as much as the others. In other words I've lived with and used in recorded music pretty much all the usual 'top end' CHEAP vintage synths (DCO analog and Digital) and arrived at only a handful that were worth keeping... JD-800 is even making me reconsider the rest of my keepers - a workhorse and top fun too!

Of course there are loads of new/near new VA synths from the past few years that you may prefer - all hands on, decent sound etc... but I find them uninspiring, maybe because I already use soft synths too and they rarely bring much to the table (other than a great interface), JD sounds different to VA and software. If I was looking at novation VA stuff for example I would probably stick with soft synths and buy a cheap controller.

And if you wanted something smaller/more portable - then a modern small VA is obviously a better choice.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
JD800's aren't rare as the previous poster said. Anyone would think Roland are manufacturing them how often they're changing hands
📝 Reply