First Synth
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
mopho x4 out of my budget here in UK...
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Also just seen M Audio Venom for under Β£300....any good?
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Had a play on one its pretty sweet sounding, fairly good bass and can get some decent distortion out of it
but its very computer-editing orientated from what I've heard.
Also heard a few people on this forum saying its not very good

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I dont mind editing on my laptop (as long as software easy to use).
The choice in hardware synths is bewildering at this price point (max Β£600 UK)
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord ➑️
A Nord Rack 2X would be the best way to go imo.

It has a fantastic and intuitive UI and just happens to sound fantastic at the same time.

Assuming you want to learn how to program (or already do and want to hone your skills) I think the lack of onboard FX is a bonus there as it'll force you to concentrate on the raw sound. Then you just run it through your favourite delay and reverb and you'll grin

Another option might be a JP8000/8080 as they also have a neat and programmable layout, and sound great too.
+1
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i like Nord's but Even thats out of budget range as well....
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
how easy is it to link up a rack module to a keyboard?
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Depends on the modules inputs but usually MIDI-MIDI cable

Old 19th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
m-audio venom is awful.. real awful. waldorf blofelds are amazing.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
cool...i have seen waldorf blowfeld keys for about Β£550.....
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goony ➑️
i like Nord's but Even thats out of budget range as well....
2 NordLeads in your price range -

Clavia Nord Lead 2 Synthesizer | eBay

Clavia Nord Lead 2x - Perfect condition!!! | eBay
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
local shop offered me an M audio Venom for Β£140.......
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I wouldn't get a mono synth as my first and only keyboard unless I had intentions to immediately follow that up with something else. The blofeld is a good multi-timbral device with pretty deep programming capabilities, and a very good price. Gaia is only going to do one part (which will be fine to start), has good (sampled) waveforms, and is super easy to program with the sliders. I personally prefer a full-sized keyboard, so the micro* devices are usually off my list for anything other than a fun portable.

Don't pass up on used devices, especially if there's a better than zero chance you won't actually like messing with synthesizers. With a used device, you can usually get your money back (or close to it) on ebay. New devices are like new cars -- once off the lot, it's worth half what it was on the floor.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
How much do they retail for? That sounds pretty good haha, if you don't like it you can always (try) sell it.
I got my Gaia for $400 and sold it for $450 so it never owed me anything.

Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My only advice is to get something with at least 4 octaves. If your a drummer you will appreciate having a wider range of sounds to create percussive riffs, etc, off of. 2-3 octaves really gets limiting (and octave up/down is a pain when your moving fast)
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
theres a reason its going for 140.. IT SUCKS! dont buy it!

or buy it.. hell what do i care lol
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Haha,
just get the venom for now and then when there a few minibrutes actually in stores get one of those, if you like the venom keep it for your digital duties and poly needs and still use the minibrute for other stuff, or if you don't like it sell it somewhere, even if you lose like 40 pounds it wouldn't be too big a deal would it?
You can never have enough gear haha

Old 21st September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwell7 ➑️
You can never have enough gear haha

you can never have enough gear when and if you know how to use it all and do use it all. a synth gathering dust is a sad sad waste
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarekroh ➑️
you can never have enough gear when and if you know how to use it all and do use it all. a synth gathering dust is a sad sad waste
That is true, but like I said he can always sell it for close to what he paid for it, then he barely loses cash on a synth and somebody else gets a barely used synth for a discount price, everybody wins (nearly)

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
You should start like most of us with an SK-1.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I know it's a bit off topic, but i was mucking around with my MicroKorg and I decided to record it into a bit of a composition,
Don't mind how soundcloud makes everything sound bad haha, but incase you were wondering how a MicroKorg sounds (note I spent hardly any time on this with the drums and stuff it isn't very polished at all)
all synth is MicroKorg
PLAYING WITH MY MICROKORG by Samuel iEtto on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarekroh ➑️
theres a reason its going for 140.. IT SUCKS! dont buy it!

or buy it.. hell what do i care lol
It's because of the M-Audio sale. They just want to get rid of excess inventory.

The Venom is decent. Not the greatest synth but hard to beat for the price.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

I went through a Korg Poly800 and an MPK 49 before I got my Nord lead 3 and my Mopho desktop.

I would say that, if this is your only sound source and you plan on doing anything by yourself then don't get a mono (which means get a digital because poly analogs in your price range will not have good editing capabilities).

The novation Ultranova is an excellent choice with its audio interface and fatar keybed. I don't know why there isn't a version with more voices.

Polyphony is very important in a bread and butter synth.

If it were me I would get the Gaia.

People say it sounds bad in ultra critical a + b compairisons, but it is a great cheap synth with a lot of capabilities and polyphony.

With the remaining Β£440 you can get a midi controller for your computer to get some polytimbrality, just get a garbage m-audio keystation 61 yo start or an axiom if you can get one cheaply, but i would say 61 keys is the right number. The Korg Microkey is nice too because it is so small, but kind of suks if you have big hands (same for microkorg and R3)

Or set aside for the minibrute or both.

You can also use the axiom/key station to expand the range of an Ultranova if you went that route.

There are plenty of free soft synths. I would also take a look at Welsh's synthesizer cookbook as well as How to Be a Synthesizer Wizard.

So in summation here's my suggestion:

Gaia for 140
Axiom 61 for like 60
Boss Chorus pedal for like 10-20
Reverb / delay pedal - 20-30
2x Sustain pedal - 30
Expression pedal - ??
Piano bench - 30
------/

Save your 290 towards an analog synth or bank it in case you find out you hate synthesis .

I am also a drummer who is now learning keys / synthesis. Have fun!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have both the Venom and the Blofeld which were mentioned here. They are not in the same universe as far as quality goes. The Blofeld destroys the Venom. That said, the latest PC editor for the Venom is really decent with one glaring flaw, it does not support editing arpeggios directly. You can actually do quite a bit with a Venom but the keyboard is horrible and the interface from the keyboard is horrible also. The Blofeld requires some menu diving but the big display and intelligent layout make it pretty easy to get around.

I use my Blofeld every day. I use my Venom never now. I wanted to use the Venom more because they promised that Vyzor was coming up with a VST for it that I could integrate into my DAW. It never happened. The Blofeld ships with the Softknobs VST which you can use to edit sounds on your PC.

M-Audio recently dumped the Venom keyboard and other products. They are in some sort of limbo now which is why you may see them on sale. Support is a black hole. I was a beta tester for the firmware and software and bug reports went totally unanswered. Waldorf is better but not great but at least the Waldorf forums are active and very helpful.

Bottom line....buy a Blofeld. Best value synth out there for the money. The keyboard version comes with sampling and a GREAT keyboard also. Easy to find used for a good price also.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Buy a good master keyboard which you can use to control software synthesizers.

Check out a used Access Virus KC or KB. They work great as master keyboards and sounds pretty good. I use a KC live to control both external gear as well as internal sounds on the KC.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovestand ➑️

The novation Ultranova is an excellent choice with its audio interface and fatar keybed. I don't know why there isn't a version with more voices.

Polyphony is very important in a bread and butter synth.

If it were me I would get the Gaia.
The ultranova has 18 voices, its more than enough in a mono timbral synth.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
plan is to have a VA synth then add a minibrute at a later stage...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by login ➑️
The ultranova has 18 voices, its more than enough in a mono timbral synth.
Sorry, I used the wrong word. I don't know why there isn't a multi-timbral version, is what I meant to say.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Waldorf Blofeld, nice sounding synth (via you tube), only downside, no official editor :(
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

I find myself rarely using the editor on the Mopho desktop. I'm sure that I don't get the most complex patches as a result, but soft synths fill that void. Do not like editing a hardware synth on a computer. If it was a digital one then I wouldnt even bother, since that is just a soft synth that takes up room.

After messing around with the poly800 I learned how important tactile feedback is. Get a synth with knobs.
πŸ“ Reply