Quantcast
EQ and phase issues - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EQ and phase issues
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
EQ and phase issues

So,as you probably know from my earlier threads i struggle with a lot of things and also ask a lot of questions lol,hoping to learn from much more advanced forum buddies here.

So,here is my next issue.

Yesterday while fitting bass and kick to work together,i noticed that while i move (cut) eq on a diagram more and more some kind of "panning" is going on while i am not touching panning slider at all. So i thought that maybe some plugin is causing my problems with phase.

Later on (haalleeelujah) accidentially i found out while browsing internet that EQing actually might be a reason of phase issues.

And in case i described at beggining i was making a heavy cut ,roll off,of lower frequencies of my bass,pulling it down to max,something like -16db around 60 Hz. And then i have done another roll off ,cutting down all frequencies above 500 Hz. So bass was cut from both sides.

And now a question,as much ******** as what i did might look to you ,i would like to learn a bit about avoiding such problems in future. So when i make a roll off should it be max like i did,or maybe those typical maximal -3Db here and there ?
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Sounds like a linear phase eq might be able to help you out.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i always thought eq is an eq...no matter how they call it lol...well,person learns whole life :P gonna read bit more about linear phase eq thx man
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacperson ➑️
i always thought eq is an eq...no matter how they call it lol...well,person learns whole life :P gonna read bit more about linear phase eq thx man
I think that because you're modifying frequency amplitude, it would be affecting the phase due to how the waves interact with each other. At least I think so.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
There are different ways different DAW software deals with mono and stereo tracks. If not already doing so and you're using just about any DAW except Ableton Live, make sure both your kick and bass tracks are mono audio files being processed as mono tracks.

Linear phase EQ may sound better to you in certain situations, but keep in mind that it can introduce a pre-echo that makes the sound less focused, and this is more pronounced at low frequencies. If you are already using a linear phase EQ this could actually be the problem you are hearing and describing.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
actually linear phase eq kinda helped,and i also eq less agressively ,trying to find some sweet spots,so i kinda limited the problem ( now i also always check with analyzers,even when its ok for my ears and no problems shown) thx lads
πŸ“ Reply