Dealing with stems in Ableton? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dealing with stems in Ableton?
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Dealing with stems in Ableton?

Hey all,

Forgive me if this has been discussed before; I couldn't find anything that answered my question specifically.

Maybe I don't know entirely what I'm doing but I'm trying to do a remix and I'm finding it very difficult to get the song stems organized/properly synced and gridded/etc. within Ableton.

The song I'm remixing is 120 BPM, yet Live "guesses" the tempo for most of the stems anywhere between 119 to 121 and a couple of others at totally unrelated, random tempi. All I really want to do is set the starting point within each clip to the same point and tell Live to grid everything at 120. I feel like this shouldn't be that difficult but it seems every time I try to do this sort of stuff I end up doing hours of additional work trying to get everything synced and gridded properly.

Anyone know how to make this process easier? Anyone have any other suggestions as far as dealing with stems in a remix? How do you all deal with this stuff? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Go preferences and switch off 'auto-warp long samples'. Then just set to 120 and drag them all in.
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Easy enough. Thank you so much!
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Also for warping tracks and getting the beat grid right, I like this process:

1. Right click on the beat market that you want to make 1.1.1. and select "Set as 1.1.1."

2. After the first point has been marked, right click the beat marker again and select "Warp Straight From Here". This will warp the grid to the BPM of the track and generally syncs things up. You will most likely have to drop a few more markers as you go through the track.

It took me about a year and a half with Ableton to figure this out B)
๐Ÿ“ Reply