Mopho x4 vs Prophet 08 - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mopho x4 vs Prophet 08
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc ➑️
I look forward to hearing what you think of the X4. I wonder how many people posting in this thread even played one??

I would love to try out a Poly Evolver someday.
*raises hand*

I've had one for a few weeks now. I think it sounds brilliant and is exactly what I was looking for.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc ➑️
I look forward to hearing what you think of the X4. I wonder how many people posting in this thread even played one??
Probably not many, but most of the comments in this thread are based on feature comparisons and other factual elements, and even those comments that are experiential are largely based (fairly, I think) on peoples' hands on knowledge of the Tetra, Mopho and Prophet 08.

It's not as if the X4 will sound different than a Tetra or be different to control than a Mopho Keyboard, so it doesn't take much of a stretch of the imagination to figure out where this new model fits in the marketplace.
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsynth ➑️
I have a Mopho x4 coming this weekend so I'll see firsthand how the keybed feels.
This is a test I want to read.

I am interested into the opinion of a fellow musician (as opposed to "a magazine").

I owned the mophokey and the prophet08 keyboard version (this last, I used daily for three years), and I literally hated both keybeds.

aftertouch was erratic, keys were plasticky and flimsy, their range too short and shallow.

I later played a CME keyboard and I recognized the feel. I have no PROOF the DSI keybeds are CME, but they are as bad as the CME.

I asked Dave Smith why he couldn't publish the velocity curves correspondent to the four curve settings on the prophet08 [I needed the data as a reference for external midi modules] and he answered that

"we are using this odd chinese keybed which has a very odd and irregular curve, with jumps from an octave to the next. I had to fine-tune the curves in the software in order to suit the hardware, so the 4 curves are basically handwritten"

It is possible that DSI has changed its keybed supplier for the mopho x4.

It is possible that it has a good (kurzweil-like, or roland-like), bodily, synth-action with a smooth aftertouch.

In that case, it would be a HUGE plus for the mopho x4 by reference to the mophokey

Please post your impressions
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The whole key bed issue is about cost. How many options are there for them? Its not like guitar pick-ups or bridges where there is a high demand.
A different key bad would add significantly to cost so the questions are:
Do I live with the key bed or be willing to pay more?
If there were a way, DSI would do it.
The Moog Little Phatty key bed is not great either. But we hear what happens after the key is hit, not the key itself.
As long as the keys work is what matters. After touch curves I can live without. Not a major issue for me.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Is the keybed the same as on the PEK? Because the PEK one is the best one I've ever played (and I have a Nord G2X, Virus TI + Blofeld)
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 ➑️
The whole key bed issue is about cost.
on a 2000 bucks synthesizer?!?

I may accept bad keys on a 500 bucks trance/oriented VA,

but on a flagship (the 3000 bucks voyager is as bad as the 2000 bucks prophet),

I don't want my FINGERS to hate what my EARS love.

As for aftertouch: of course it's subjective, but, for somebody who CAN use it, it is important and it has to be smooth.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have just rarely heard bad things about any DSI keybed. Maybe its subjective also.
Market share economics here. Nothing personal from manufacturers.
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm currently in the decision phase about Mopho X4 vs. Prophet 08, will need it mostly for pads and "normal" synths sounds for band use. Which of the both would be better for that, the Prophet because it has higher polyphony and can layer 2 sounds, or the Mopho X4 because it's more portable?
Which would you pick?
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch ➑️
I'm currently in the decision phase about Mopho X4 vs. Prophet 08, will need it mostly for pads and "normal" synths sounds for band use. Which of the both would be better for that, the Prophet because it has higher polyphony and can layer 2 sounds, or the Mopho X4 because it's more portable?
Which would you pick?
The Prophet.
The extra polyphony really makes a difference for pads. Set a long release and when you play a chord progression the sound will nicely 'blend'. This is different than if using reverb or delay. In fact, with a nicely detuned 2 osc sound and long env release, reverb or delay may not be needed.
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
@Polarelch

+1 P08

have had it for about a month, its awesome for pads and textures, and a dream to program...

wanted to also add, I love the keybed, nicest KBD ive ever played, its on a different level
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke44 ➑️
@Polarelch +1 P08
Quote:
Originally Posted by himalaya ➑️
extra polyphony
+1

one octave less from 5 to 4 doesn't entail "better portability".

25 keys vs 61 keys = backpack vs case. scooter vs car. that's a difference.

76 vs 88 keys --> smaller car. that's a difference as well.

but speaking of an expensive analogue with knobs (i.e. a fragile unit which requires a solid case),

one octave doesn't change much as far as portability is concerned
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It actually does make a difference, not when you compare octaves, but length.. then it's 88 cm vs. 64 cm, and 10 kg vs. 4,3 kg.
It's very hard to find a light trolley suitcase over 80 cm, and I might want to pack more stuff into it.. Prophet would require a dedicated case. I don't have a car so that matters for me... but that's just one aspect of it all.

I don't think I can go wrong with either. I just tested both again this afternoon... both have their ups and downs. I prefer the oscillator selection in the MX4 (buttons vs. knob), but I guess the Prophet can sound a lot more "deep".
Old 3rd October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'm but a rank novice and the Mopho X4 is my first synth purchase since 1987 but at the price point I couldn't be happier. Just when I thought it couldn't be any better, FedEx just dropped off an Eventide Space.
Old 11th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy ➑️
This is a test I want to read.

It is possible that it has a good (kurzweil-like, or roland-like), bodily, synth-action with a smooth aftertouch.

In that case, it would be a HUGE plus for the mopho x4 by reference to the mophokey

Please post your impressions
I've had the Mopho x4 for a couple weeks now but I don't have any other synth action keyboards on hand for reference so I went to GC and tried a few there today. Unfortunately they did not have any DSI products on display, but there was a Little Phatty, M50-61, and MOX6 I was able to try out.

After playing each of these, I realized with some surprise that the Mx4 action feels quite different--unique even--among synth actions. Whereas the LP, M50 and MOX6 keys all felt as expected--lightweight and springy--the Mx4 keys feel weightier but just as easy to press down (similar spring force). This gives the keys a slight clunkiness that I would typically associate with hammer action keybeds, ie at high velocity the keys hit the bottom with a thud.

In terms of aftertouch, I find the onset and depth to be fairly predictable. However I may not be the best to judge this as I haven't used AT much in my playing, coming from a piano background.

Edit: Now that I'm actually back in front of the Mx4, I find that the spring force IS a bit harder than the other synths I tried earlier. It's also "clackier" or mechanically noisier.
Old 16th October 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
After submitting a request about Mopho X4's keybed and building quality, here's what Carson Day from DSI mailed me back:

"The Mopho X4 has the same keybed as the Mopho Keyboard and Prophet 08. The key's are semi-weighted and feel very nice. The Evolver's keybed is not the same and has a slightly different feel. To my fingers, the Evolver has a slightly "Spongier" feel to it, while the X4, Mopho Keyboard, and Prophet feel a little more precise.

The Mopho X4 has the same durable, robust, and reliable build quality as the Mopho Keyboard. No corners were cut concerning the X4's build quality. The X4 has the same front panel controls as the Mopho Keyboard. The performance based parameters are potentiometers while the data entry parameters are ALPS de-tented encoders. There are 15 potentiometers and 10 encoders on the X4."

Hope that helps.

p.s. To those who don't like Mopho/Prophet keys - since I couldn't try and compare Mopho/Prohet 08 keybed to Evolver's, what exactly bother you? Does MoKey/Pro08 keybed feel too light or what? Thanks.
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_progg ➑️
"The Mopho X4 has the same keybed as the Mopho Keyboard and Prophet 08.
Quote:
The key's feel very nice
The above two statements don't compute

Quote:
The key's are semi-weighted
This statement is just not true: there's nothing even remotely "weighted" in the prophet08.

I had my fingers on it for 3 years, and I can tell weight from non-weight and from semi-weight

I also owned the mophokey, and that was definitely a light synth action with unnoticeable aftertouch

Sounds like somebody at DSI attended the Karl Rove School for Advertising
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Spam alert

In case anyone is interested, I'm selling my Prophet 08 PE keyboard synthesizer.

If you want this post to be deleted, just let me know.

Here's the add: https://gearspace.com/board/gearslut...ml#post8366947
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you're the type of player who likes to hit the keys pretty hard during fast lines, would you say the DSI keybeds are a good fit?
Old 14th November 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Great thread guys, I'm going to be investing in a DSI synth soon so I'm eagerly hoovering up all of this information. I've got a nice controller keyboard (Novation SL Mk2) so I don't think I'll be paying for anything with keys. Seems like I'm heading towards a Prophet module for pads and drones, I might get myself a Mopho module too a bit further down the line so I can take advantage of the feedback feature you guys are all talking about. Seems like there's a few second hand things available in the states but not much at all in the UK so I'll be buying new.
Old 14th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean ➑️
If you're the type of player who likes to hit the keys pretty hard during fast lines, would you say the DSI keybeds are a good fit?
I've been playing my Mx4 quite a bit more in the last few weeks and I have been quite hard on the keys. I've noticed in particular that the keys bottom out quite abruptly and with a fairly audible "clack" sound when pressed down with high velocity. This is different from other synth action keybeds I've played in which the bottoming out is much softer and makes little acoustic noise. I don't mind it too much since I'm accustomed to playing hammer action keybeds, some of which also bottom out quite hard and loudly.
Old 16th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The Mopho X4 has the same durable, robust, and reliable build quality as the Mopho Keyboard. No corners were cut concerning the X4's build quality. The X4 has the same front panel controls as the Mopho Keyboard. The performance based parameters are potentiometers while the data entry parameters are ALPS de-tented encoders. There are 15 potentiometers and 10 encoders on the X4."

Hope that helps.

p.s. To those who don't like Mopho/Prophet keys - since I couldn't try and compare Mopho/Prohet 08 keybed to Evolver's, what exactly bother you? Does MoKey/Pro08 keybed feel too light or what? Thanks.
Well said. I have two DSI synths and play them hard. Of course they are not going to feel like the old classics or a Fender Rhodes key bed. That was a different era. I know quite a bit about DSI (and so do you if you saw the documentaries I have posted here) and he is on record of saying there are limited options with key bed manufacturers and that they have no option but to outsource them. It would be too costly and they don't have the space at the DSI factory.
Frankly this is all irrelevant whining about stuff. People crying about analog and then bich about the key bed? Fact is DSI along with Moog are the last affordable analogs on earth. Arturia has yet to prove itself.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have Mopho, Tetra and P08 and have played the Mopho X4.

My favourite is the P08. I know they are supposed to be identical voice architecture, but the P08 sounds better and less aggressive to me and I love the keyboard and controls (the great feel of the keyboard could be part of that opinion). Suboscillators are useful but can easily be replicated on the P08.
Old 23rd August 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
If I were to be making Tech-House tracks (club music) would the Mophox4 or Prophet 08 be ideal? I would already have a SubPhatty doing the low end.
Old 6th October 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I loved the sound of the Mopho keyboard & decided I wanted the x4. It is nice sounding and easy to program. One concern/regret I have is the keyboard size and number of voices. I imagine that most people will want more voices, like I do, and will want a tetra. Right now I'm rocking my "mofive" split keyboard (mopho & x4 next to each other on a table). The layering I can do is fun to experiment with, particularly with rhythmic sequences playing on both. I will probably be trading up & get a prophet 08 because I want a master controller for electric piano vstis & live use. I'll be holding on to the x4 as a backup & in case really miss the subtle difference in sound. So long story short, consider keyboard size & # of voices.
Old 1st November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 ➑️
I think the PolyEvolver may be one of the most beautiful instruments ever made.
If aliens came down they would treat it like the monolith in 2001:A Space Odyssey. They would just sit and jam and forget about eating our children.
LOL man it's funny you say that because my PEK sits right at my window and is always on, with tons of crazy blue lights. Outside of that window is nothing but fields and it's pitch black. I always wonder if aliens flying by see it or have interest lmao. Although, to aliens the PEK is probably more like an abacus.
Old 9th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brento ➑️
If I were to be making Tech-House tracks (club music) would the Mophox4 or Prophet 08 be ideal? I would already have a SubPhatty doing the low end.
would like to know this as well, add psy trance to that

would like to know if it can make nice percussive plucky sounds.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I own both.....well owned, I FINALLY got someone to take the Prophet 8

The Mopho X4 is the superior instrument, whoever said it isn't
"Knobby" is , high, so let me put that issue to bed, there is a knob for everything you want a knob for.

Mopho x 4 has 4 oscillators per voice 2 of which are sub oscillators (Which can also be detuned if your into that kind of weirdness)

Prophet 8 has 2 Oscillators no subs

Now we come to the real meat of the matter and the crucial difference between the two AND the reason the Pro 8 has received so much hate

The Mopho X 4 has feedback this creates a different architecture both to and from the filter, a filter that is up to DSI standards, a filter that was FIXED.

The Prophet 8's filter is wrong and un-musical, from what I understand DSI abandoned the architecture after seeing the response, they recieved. They "Fixed" the filter for the Mopho X 4, it is also the main reason why DSI is realising a Prophet 8 V2 which debuted at NAMM this year

You don't re-do a synth if it was done right the first time, you just re-issue it. DSI are very aware they f%$ked up on the Prophet 8

Mopho x 4 = Keeper

Pro 8 V1 = crap
Old 1st April 2017 | Show parent
Deleted 13e7993
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee ➑️
I own both.....well owned, I FINALLY got someone to take the Prophet 8

The Mopho X4 is the superior instrument, whoever said it isn't
"Knobby" is , high, so let me put that issue to bed, there is a knob for everything you want a knob for.

Mopho x 4 has 4 oscillators per voice 2 of which are sub oscillators (Which can also be detuned if your into that kind of weirdness)

Prophet 8 has 2 Oscillators no subs

Now we come to the real meat of the matter and the crucial difference between the two AND the reason the Pro 8 has received so much hate

The Mopho X 4 has feedback this creates a different architecture both to and from the filter, a filter that is up to DSI standards, a filter that was FIXED.

The Prophet 8's filter is wrong and un-musical, from what I understand DSI abandoned the architecture after seeing the response, they recieved. They "Fixed" the filter for the Mopho X 4, it is also the main reason why DSI is realising a Prophet 8 V2 which debuted at NAMM this year

You don't re-do a synth if it was done right the first time, you just re-issue it. DSI are very aware they f%$ked up on the Prophet 8

Mopho x 4 = Keeper

Pro 8 V1 = crap

Interesting thoughts. I've long felt that maybe Mopho X4 has been underrated for some time although I admit I haven't had a chance to play it personally. I wonder what it's future is now, though. Not only because Rev2 is out. Mopho/Tetra/SE have all been discontinued. And selling a 4 voice analog for 1k new might be a tall order when there's a 12 voice out there for the same price, plus the Minilogue.

Knowing what you do now, how much would you pay for a used Mopho X4 in 2017, if anything? Also it seems perfect for aggression sounds, can you confirm this?

Thank you in advance.
Old 1st April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee ➑️

Mopho x 4 = Keeper

Pro 8 V1 = crap
Sorry, but that is utter cows doo doo.

A popular synth that sells in large numbers usually has an update to keep up with the times..

Lets see, big selling synths's of the past.

Korg Poly 800 - Korg Poly 800 mk2

Roland Juno 6 - Roland Juno 60/106

Microkorg - Microkorg XL

Yamaha DX7 - Yamaha DX7 Mk2

Nord Lead - Nord Lead 2,3,4

Roland JX8P - Roland JX10

Kawai K1 - kawai K1 Mk2

Doepfer Dark Energy - Doepfer Dark Energy MK2

etc etc etc
πŸ“ Reply