Quantcast
Mopho x4 vs Prophet 08 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mopho x4 vs Prophet 08
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectwoofer ➡️
About the joke, you don't seriously expect everyone to guess what's a joke and what not in a written post, won't you? Give me a break dude...
Yes, I really do:
- First of all, the people writing in this thread are familar with Mopho x4 and Prophet 08.
- Second: The feedback was mentioned over and over again.
- Third: It was a if you are familiar what that stands for on the Web? Appearently not, so let me explain it to you when there are risk that someone else might joke in at some other thread some time. One put it there to give expressions (that can not be cc maped )to written posts.

And here comes the break you asked for .

Cool down and relax Projectwoofer (that means I'm not mad, but address this it in a friendly and positive tone to you).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet ➡️
Yes, I really do:
- First of all, the people writing in this thread are familar with Mopho x4 and Prophet 08.
- Second: The feedback was mentioned over and over again.
- Third: It was a if you are familiar what that stands for on the Web? Appearently not, so let me explain it to you when there are risk that someone else might joke in at some other thread some time. One put it there to give expressions (that can not be cc maped )to written posts.

And here comes the break you asked for .

Cool down and relax Projectwoofer (that means I'm not mad, but address this it in a friendly and positive tone to you).
I thought the thread was about the P08 and Mopho X4, not psychoanalysis on my understanding of internet jokes and oracular emoticons...heh

But anyway, I just gave my opinion, I can't see what's wrong with that, at least I try to always talk about things I know and not things I've heard...So before this thread goes way off topic (already gone I think), I'm off...

...and, again, I'm more relaxed than ever!
Deleted User
Quote:
I thought the thread was about the P08 and Mopho X4, not psychoanalysis on my understanding of internet jokes and oracular emoticons...heh
!
What's the difference?

Quote:
I But anyway, I just gave my opinion, I can't see what's wrong with that, at least I try to always talk about things I know and not things I've heard...So before this thread goes way off topic (already gone I think), I'm off...

...and, again, I'm more relaxed than ever!
Good to hear my friend. Back to the world of P08 and Mopho x4? Can't still not decide, even if I have P08 in mind
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Go for the P08 and get a nice external chorus to smooth out that filter. More polyphony, more keys, more knobs, and bitimbral. The subosc and feedback are no great loss IMO.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlywarly ➡️
Go for the P08 and get a nice external chorus to smooth out that filter. More polyphony, more keys, more knobs, and bitimbral. The subosc and feedback are no great loss IMO.
+1. I'm really getting into layer sounds on my P08. It's only 4 voices when layered, but the sound soooo nice.
Old 14th September 2012
Deleted 60622ed
Im coming to terms with the fact i dont like my prophet

I prefer my virus

Im gonna make dubstep

Deleted User
Oh, I forgot to mention that I will use the DSI for ambient music (soundscapes, pads, atmospheres, drones etc).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Oh, I forgot to mention that I will use the DSI for ambient music (soundscapes, pads, atmospheres, drones etc).
The dual arps and multitimbrality of the p08 seem like they'd be useful. I say prophet 08 desktop and tetra! (used) You could use the p08 to do the majority of the programming on the tetra and them turn off polychain.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee ➡️
i think all the mophos are ugly.
Hey they're not ugly, they have character!

I have to defend my Mophokey here..
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonebug ➡️
Hey they're not ugly, they have character!

I have to defend my Mophokey here..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yeah, i really dislike the aesthetic designs of the DS synths—the mopho IS particularly ugly. yellow and grey and about the worst imaginable typeface for the mopho logo. it's really shallow of me, but those things actually bother me a great deal, and i wouldn't buy one simply because i'd have to look at it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee ➡️
i think all the mophos are ugly.
Thank God for that! At least we won't have to pay for extra luxurious cosmetic design nonsense.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
So.... are you guys saying that the mopho's are like those phone sex operators. They sounds good, but not much to look at..

Alrightly then..
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
with these last 2 posts, this thread just took a turn for the awesome!
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Jeez.
The OP asked about the MoKey and the P08.
And everyone with the Tetra and the module version P08 and knowing the OP he wants a keyboard version when no mention of it in his first post.
The guy is trying to make an informed decision.
A four voice is not in the same as a 8 voice with a 5 octave keyboard.
The DSI keys beds are fine as far as I am concerned. good feel and nice after touch curve. None of the respected reviewers have said bad things about the key bed. IMO whats the point of not having a keyboard version other than cost which seems to not be the case.
Is all good. Take a pill or pills....
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The original Mopho does nothing for me (physically), but the Evolver is beautiful. Ditto for Prophet 08, and the new Mopho also looks good IMO.
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckoo.old ➡️
The original Mopho does nothing for me (physically), but the Evolver is beautiful. Ditto for Prophet 08, and the new Mopho also looks good IMO.
I think the PolyEvolver may be one of the most beautiful instruments ever made.
If aliens came down they would treat it like the monolith in 2001:A Space Odyssey. They would just sit and jam and forget about eating our children.
The P'08 is bad ass also. like the aesthetics of the DSI's and Oberheims also.
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 ➡️
I think the PolyEvolver may be one of the most beautiful instruments ever made.
If aliens came down they would treat it like the monolith in 2001:A Space Odyssey. They would just sit and jam and forget about eating our children.
The P'08 is bad ass also. like the aesthetics of the DSI's and Oberheims also.
Agreed.

I do however think the first Mopho looks like a reject from the Waldorf school of intense synthesizers.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I think both the Mopho x4 and P08 would give you good results for this type of music--with the edge going to the P08 because it can layer two different sounds with the same 4-voice polyphony.

The Mx4 is quite a limited instrument compared to the P08, but it does sound different. If you really like that Mopho/Tetra sound, you should get the Mx4; the P08 wouldn't be able to reproduce that sound due to the lack of the 1- and 2-octave sub oscillators and feedback. If you don't have a preference, then go with the P08.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I got a Mopho x4 because I use a Tetra as a polysynth module for live stuff and wanted the Mopho's interface for programming as well as double polyphony in the studio. If it weren't for the Tetra's role in my setup I would prefer the P08. The Mopho's sub oscillators can be nice for drone stuff though, sweeping them with the knob or an lfo.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykisk ➡️
I got a Mopho x4 because I use a Tetra as a polysynth module for live stuff and wanted the Mopho's interface for programming as well as double polyphony in the studio. If it weren't for the Tetra's role in my setup I would prefer the P08. The Mopho's sub oscillators can be nice for drone stuff though, sweeping them with the knob or an lfo.
The Mx4 + Tetra is an interesting setup. On paper, it can do everything the P08 can do for the same price, but it's also 5-part multitimbral where the P08 is only bitimbral (though I hear that this mode may be a little buggy on the Tetra in practice). The downside would be the smaller keyboard (44 vs 61), fewer knobs, and not being "all-in-one." It's nice to have the choice between the two setups.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky ➡️
im really not sure what the market of the x4 is , especially with cheap 2nd hand 08s plentiful . I think they would have been better to target a sub 1000$ knobby desktop module than another $1500 keyboard. A tetra without the horrible budget interface . you know that would keep the bedroom bangers very happy.
I have one on order. I don't really need 8 voices. Love the sub-osc and feedback. I have a number of full sized keyboards so don't need that, but since the Mopho has usb and can (I hope) effectively function as a desktop controller keyboard, that's a nice bonus.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
If you're planning to do a lot of programming on the instrument using the primary controls, I'd recommend you take a close look at the respective interfaces and decide which is more appealing for the way you work.

Prophet 08

Mopho X4

The Prophet 08 has direct controls for both oscillators and all 3 envelopes which is obviously better for quick, deep diving. It also has direct buttons for other useful functions like oscillator sync and unison and a few individual pots that require using the shift function on the Mopho. Also, if you plan to use the 16-step sequencer, the additional pot assignment layer and corresponding LEDs on the Prophet 08 make that easier IMO.

The Mopho X4 has fewer controls so there's more switching between common elements (oscillators and envelopes, for example). However, I prefer that the Mopho displays waveforms for the oscillators and LFO with quick switches -- those are easier to use quickly compared with the shared shape/PW pot on the Prophet 08.

As others have pointed out, the only real difference in the sound engine is the addition of feedback in the Mopho because the sub-oscillators can essentially be added with the second layer on the Prophet 08.

If you have the space for a keyboard, the real comparison is a Mopho X4 + a Tetra vs. a Prophet 08. That's a closer call. I was looking for a desktop module, so as much as I like using sub-oscillators sometimes and the feedback seemed interesting, I preferred the physical layout and the additional polyphony of the Prophet 08 desktop module, especially compared to the standard Tetra which lacks the controls I needed. The Mopho X4 kind of splits the difference.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth80s ➡️
the sub-oscillators can essentially be added with the second layer on the Prophet 08.
wait wait wait!!!

By adding a second prophet08 layer one ot two octaves down,

you can:

* use a different waveform (different from the first alyer, and different for each osc, for a total of 4 beating waves, without even using unison)

* detune the sub waveforms, between them and to the main OSCs [then what? ]

* filter and modulate the SUBs in a different way than the main OSCs

* route the SUBs amplitude to a pedal or controller

All of this WHIPS the mopho into SUBmission, fatness-wise
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
As others have pointed out, the only real difference in the sound engine is the addition of feedback in the Mopho because the sub-oscillators can essentially be added with the second layer on the Prophet 08.
Not quite the same though since the Mopho has a 1-octave sub-osc on the first voice and a 2-octave on the second. Also, you can dial them in and out without having to layer first. Because of that, the sub-osc is likely to be present on almost all Mopho patches, and probably contributes in no small part to the overall different sound character of the Mopho vs the P08.

Quote:
If you have the space for a keyboard, the real comparison is a Mopho X4 + a Tetra vs. a Prophet 08. That's a closer call.
The key difference boils down to 5-part timbrality and feedback (Mx4 + Tetra) vs more knobs, more keys (P08). It's a compelling choice; I could see it going either way depending on the purpose--eg, P08 for live performance or sound design and the Mx4 + tetra as a studio centerpiece.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy ➡️
All of this WHIPS the mopho into SUBmission, fatness-wise
It's not so much a contest of what can sound fatter. It's about a fundamental difference in sound character--the P08 cannot exactly duplicate the Mopho/Tetra and vice versa. I think DSI designed the two this way on purpose to give us a real choice instead of re-packaging the same exact voice in a different cabinet. Therefore it's incumbent on the OP to audition the two firsthand, or failing that to listen to every demo on youtube.

Thanks for the FEEDBACK though, ozy.

I tried.
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsynth ➡️
I think DSI designed
at some time, I had in my setup

one prophet08 (for some months, TWO)
two tetr4s
and two mophos

just because I needed DSI sounds on several keyboards at the same time, live.

Know what? I just shared patches among them, and I just played the most convenient as far a polyphony and location was concerned.

When the project was over, I just kept the prophet08 AND my tetr4 patches files. Never looked back. I love the prophet, but I would buy a tetr4 only if I needed the added voices or a separate module for rehearsal

Let's not fool ourselves with the "boutique subtle differences" jingle, mopho tet4 and prophet are ONE line of synth based on mass produced components,

which DSI designed ONCE then adapted to different commercial formats.

their differences amount to "slim phatty vs little phatty" details.

They are ALL excellent synths (except for the keybeds and some software glitches, and the old infamous encoders),

but "philologic" effort is misspent here.
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I think Synth80s presents it pretty decently. It comes down to a combination of interface and sonic options.
The prophet has more controls (which are bigger and better spaced), but I think the mopho interface is well designed as well. I have the mophokeys-tetra combination, and I love twisting those knobs. I think the most important thing to consider here is: are you going the use the sequencer a lot (without computer editor): take the prophet. If you need the extra keys: take the prophet.

Sound wise, I think everything has been said already, and since you stated not to be interested in polychaining, I’ll leave tetra out of the equation. By now we all know (but I’ll summarize it once more) it’s suboscillators+feedback VS doubled-polyphony+bitimbrality. As far as the subs-ting goes, I also think this can be approached by layering the voices. Sure, it might not be “the same”, but you obviously get far more options by layering, which can be really useful for pads and drones, and that’s exactly what you want to do with it. I think the extra polyphony (and extra keys) are actually a great plus for pads as well. Still, I like the fact that the levels of the subs in the mopho can be controlled fully independent instead of the oscillator mixing control for the main oscillators. To conclude on the subs, I have to correct something I read in this topic: the sub waveform is not identical to the main osc, it is always a square wave.
About the feedback, I can only say: it’s a nice touch. You can always look for (probably better sounding) dirt in external gear, but you won’t be able to modulate it as much as with the mopho (which is great fun). You’ll be the judge of how important it is to achieve your goals.
In conclusion, in your case I’d choose the prophet.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy ➡️
They are ALL excellent synths (except for the keybeds and some software glitches, and the old infamous encoders),
I'll let you have the last word here. I have a Mopho x4 coming this weekend so I'll see firsthand how the keybed feels.

To the OP, it's a close call but I would also recommend the P08 for what you want to do. I went with the Mx4 because I plan to add the Tetra to have 5 parts timbrality. It doesn't sound like you need that though, and also you prefer fewer boxes.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsynth ➡️
I'll let you have the last word here. I have a Mopho x4 coming this weekend so I'll see firsthand how the keybed feels.

To the OP, it's a close call but I would also recommend the P08 for what you want to do. I went with the Mx4 because I plan to add the Tetra to have 5 parts timbrality. It doesn't sound like you need that though, and also you prefer fewer boxes.
I look forward to hearing what you think of the X4. I wonder how many people posting in this thread even played one??

I would love to try out a Poly Evolver someday.
📝 Reply