Quantcast
m127 - Shouldn't Andromeda A6 be named KING? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
m127 - Shouldn't Andromeda A6 be named KING?
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodeater ➡️
Who was the brains behind the A6? I'm wondering because I think part of the appeal of some older synths has to do with the designers.
A lot of different peoples. It was the work of a quite big team.

Quote:
Maybe it's better or different in person, but the graphic design and layout is kinda off putting. I saw a mockup somewhere with the panel vertical and even that made a huge difference in appeal to me.
It's not a mockup. The Aurora mod is do-able.

Quote:
Can someone do a demo or point me to one of it really bugging out? Or at least really sounding like an Andromeda?
The best demo so far:

I also like the G-storm notched airy pads. Typical A6.

Not really a demo, but this Carl Craig tune is 100% A6.

For your run on the mill demo with bread and butter sounds, I like this one.

Quote:
Sounding big and analog is one thing, sound with personality (love it or hate it) is another.
Oh, the A6 have a lot of personality. Very very particular sound.

Quote:

Yeah! Formant madness is the kinda thing I'd like to hear.
Gr8ape made a demo a few month ago with a formant patch. As far as we talking generalist analog synth, I think the A6 is hard to beat for formant stuff with its thick and grainy low mid range and its ability to run two filters in parallel. I've made a few badass talking basses myself. Very naughty.

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfuego ➡️
And Don, when you say the voices become unusable, if you do not autotune they disable? Can you explain this a little more?
Musically unusable. You know when some of the voices go a bit far away for a musical scale. In fact it's easy to tell which ones are most likely to do that, just by looking under the hood of the machine (lower left part of the voice board), but that's another story.

I witnessed one interesting debate on another forum where one comment from a person (who is a regular in here) complained that disabling BKG tuning sux because voices go out of tune. And that's why he always has BKG tune on.

Of course they go out of tune. That is why mr. Dave Smith gave us the (auto)Tune button back in the 70's, some 35 years ago. Press it, wait a moment and voices are back, perfectly in tune. And it's been that way for all these decades on all the big polysynths. And suddenly one guy complains that his synth goes out of tune... -> Well, press damn autotune!

Interesting he didn't complain how some of the notes start behaving "legato like" when you play a bit faster on Andromeda due to CPU hog (initiated by the same BKG tuning which eats precious CPU resources) etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here's my attempt at making the A6 sound like a CS80.. i think it comes pretty close actually

It's followed by some noodling on a P08, which i also tried to make CS80-ish. See how y'all like it.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalshim ➡️
For your run on the mill demo with bread and butter sounds, I like this one.

Oh, the A6 have a lot of personality. Very very particular sound.
Haha, tastes are different, I guess. I found this one to have the most interesting and characterful sounds. The first 1:30 is uneventful though. I like that it can go to from pads at 3:30 screeching metallic feedback at 4:05.

I don't find the sound airy at all. I mean this in the best way possible, it seems almost like a simulation or unreal in how dense and full it sounds. Very interesting.

I wonder if it had been more successful they would have released a cut down version. I could imagine having a lot of fun with 4 voices. What would you call it! heh
Deleted User
deleted by user
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
minimoog > andromeda

I do kind of miss my andromeda tho
Deleted User
deleted by user
Deleted User
deleted by user
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have found the tuning on my A6 to be quite stable. I let it warm up for about 20 minutes then execute the autotune utility. I have background tuning off but temperature tuning correction on which is a pretty standard way of doing things.

I love my A6 but a couple of things really make it not the king of the world. The first is that the fastest envelope stage is 2 ms and it would be nice if that could be made faster. The second is that the LFO's do not go up very far in range. I know you can use the envelope staging to work around this but that is not what I want to be using my envelopes for. If it had much faster staging and up to audio rate LFO's then it would be untouchable. The effects are not great on the A6 but I could care less. I always turn them off and go with external effects.

I wish more synths modeled the power of the A6 envelope configuration though. Each envelope is loopable at arbitrary start and end stages and the curve that transitions between stages is configurable. Even the way the loop transitions is configurable. It is just incredibly powerful to work with.
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
Deleted User
deleted by user
Deleted User
deleted by user
Deleted User
deleted by user
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted Userc ➡️
First one-post poster,

Well, I for one don't have any tuning issues. The tuning routines for true analog synths are way more than exemplary in the A6, and is probably one of the most stable synths ever made TOO within the realm of... analog synths! The tuning "issues" are inherent to the technology itself. Everybody knows this. But the A6 approach to tackle this inherent problem is one of the best ever. Fact.

I will resist a rompler and emulation of the Jupiter 8 like the Jupiter 80 any time. No need to resist anything actually, never was as close to even consider it.

Actually, in reading the overall reception of the Jupiter 80, I would be very careful about using it as an example of anything really.

Blunt but honest.
No, it isn't a fact.

What is fact is that Alesis went through a series of component parts qualities and firmware upgrades. The A6 had plenty of QC problems. Hundreds of posts documenting them can be found, including posts about the tuning issues.

Of course if you are a latecomer to the A6 -- which seems very likely given the defensiveness of your post -- then you have no knowledge of the A6 history.

If you do not like the JP-80, then do not buy it. Your loss does not stop the JP-80 from being a good or popular product. You will simply be left behind as synth technology moves onward.
Deleted User
deleted by user
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I bought an A6 from one of the first production runs, and owned it for nearly a decade. For a brief period back in 2004 I was able to play the A6 along side a CS-80, and came up with a few very lovely A6 patches using the CS-80 as a comparison- my favorite was one I called "Vanjealous Strings." Being able to mix in band-pass filtering was nice for giving it that extra mid-range fizziness to emulate a CS-80. Soon after Alesis/Numark discontinued it, I sold it for some nice $$$$; the one major flaw (for me) was the lack of MIDI response to polyaftertouch. One modern synth that I have heard recently to compare is the Solaris. I also owned an Omega8, but sold it in frustration within a year.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Why don't you post an example of what you call "airy"?
Well, how about Autechre's nine? You keep using the word powerful and I suppose I agree with you. Again, like I said, I'm digging the sound and hear the appeal now.

Or how about these:

Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Two-post member,

You should not find my stated experience to be an attack nor a defense.
It is a fact: way less tuning issues comparatively within true ANALOG synths. And again, tuning issues are INHERENT to the very nature of analog synth technology: true, real VCO's. Comparatively, A6 does wonderful in this department too.

I am not the only one saying this: Jupiter 80 is a sad example of corporate bs, and it shows.

Left behind? By what? By a rompler? By an emulation of happier times and a bunch of recycled technologies (except the better sounding ones) that are still short-comings to what experts still miss from the happier times? Sure, keep going.

I am pretty aware of the history of the A6, even if I am no historian. More importantly, for my craft, I am an listener, I heard and tested the Jupiter 80... Well, what could I do? I ejected any traces of it from my soul immediately.

OTOH, the sheer powerful sonic range of the A6 is still undeniably mesmerizing, even after more than a decade, which should raise red flags as to what the big players have been doing lately: white collar def couch historians from BUSINESS and marketing schools are taking over... it shows..
Newbie to the A6, what you wrote is EXACTLY the same BS I read over a decade ago about the A6 when synth buyers were condemning it.

As you whine about the JP-80 now, the same was done many years ago about the A6. The claim was that, for what the A6 does, $3,000 was an outrageous price. Despite the moaning, myself and others bought the A6 and enjoyed playing it for years. Some Andromedas are resold for an even higher price now.

What you wrote did not tell forum members anything new. I have heard it all before. Your post was another version of the elitist, old-analog-is-better-than-new argument.

Rather than continue trying to fake your awareness of A6 history, you should research the synth, its quicks, parts suppliers, bugs, and tuning issues. While you are doing that I will happily play my JP-80 regardless of whether or not you like modern hardware and its much greater sonic range.

And by the way, Mr. Business School Know It All, the A6 project drove Alesis into bankruptcy.
Deleted User
deleted by user
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A-6 not getting much love ever since I got my TI 2..(flame suit on)heh
Deleted User
deleted by user
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
wow, looks like m127c has some pretty disturbing emotional issues. glad we were all able to witness this. pretty cool.

anyway, about the A6... what are the chances of using it basically as 16 monosynths? i remember when it was released and being amazed that it had so many outputs. i imagined doing whole tracks with it in realtime, drums and all, with each voice run to its own mixer channel. is this feasible?
Deleted User
deleted by user
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You know the longer I mess with synthesis the more I think its all in the programing.
A6 in the wrong hands --not so great-- A skilled programmer on the other hand will rule
with it. I tend to lean in the wrong hands direction LOL!

Quote:
what are the chances of using it basically as 16 monosynths? is this feasible?
Anything is possible..
How hard do you want to work? Because andy is work anyway you slice it..

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I am positive my pad sounds massive, lushful, expressive and powerful, just like a CS-80 would in terms of those same subjective sonic characteristics.

sorry to say, -1. but like you say this is all subjective

Deleted User
deleted by user

Last edited by Deleted User; 15th September 2012 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: post-edited to his post-edited version

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Nah, not all.
Some things are very clear, too big to ignore right from the onset... They look the same from any perspective.

subjective, you said it yourself, in my quote. i have adifferent view of that sound to you, we cant both be being objective or we would agree..

listen my friend, if i have a different opinion to your good self it doesnt mean that i am attacking you. there's no need for the ZZZ
Deleted User
deleted by user

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i would say that it is not massive, lushful, expressive and powerful, just like a CS-80 would in terms of those same subjective sonic characteristics.

as i indicated with my '-1'

-1 means that i am taking the opposite view of that which i quoted.

just like the +1 mean i agree with that which i quoted.
Deleted User
deleted by user

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for the free course on +1 and -1.

So, OK, "the opposite".
Those antonyms I gave you are the opposite: thus the pad I posted (first sound in the list "Blade Power") is therefore small, poor, inexpressive, and weak according to your "different view of the sound" but at the same time you +1'ed a Virus TI attempt above, and that's how a CS-80 would sound...
Got it.
Thanks for your feedback.

just to correct you here, i never +1'ed the virus attempt.
📝 Reply