The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
D16 Lush - new Diva Competitor?
Old 20th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch ➑️
This looked promising, now it will be a pointless purchase for me.
The CPU usage is just too high. I don't care about an 101 emulation, what I looked for is
a fresh bread-and-butter softsynth that doesn't sound as dark and epic as Diva.
Anyway, I might get interested again with a future update, when it's addressing the CPU issue!
maybe take a look at Zeta2 or Sonic Academy Ana...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
maybe take a look at Zeta2 or Sonic Academy Ana...
And maybe a Steinberg's Retrologue.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Retrologue audio demos sound really good. Especially at that price.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmiG ➑️
Where do I find this modulation matrix? In the demo version, I only found a page where you can set up MIDI controllers (mod wheel, aftertouch etc.) as sources. This synth does not seem to have a modulation matrix, unless I'm missing something?
That is its modulation matrix. Reachable by clicking the well named modulation matrix button. I guess you expected something Γ  la modular synth, not the case but still powerful and patchable, great for various expressions.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjungle ➑️
Retrologue audio demos sound really good. Especially at that price.
Retrologue is pretty good, but it's not excactly a bread & butter VA, in my book it goes into same cathegory with diva, lush, saurus, sem v etc which emulate analog as possible, but are limited in other features. Plus retrologue is bit of a cpu hog too.

The bread and butter stuff to me are those with basically endless mod matrix possibilities and sound somewhat neutral/digital instead of trying to emulate analog. Maybe different filter models etc. LuSH only has one, where as some have plenty and FM possibilities etc. Bread & butter needs to be easy on the cpu too.

I fell a bit in the same hole and expected LuSH to be "the only synth you'll need" as they advertise it, but I don't think it is true. It's a great instrument with personal sound, but it's not a bread & butter sound sculptor like maybe Synapse Dune, Cakewalk Zeta etc..

In the past months I've used basically three synths, Arturia SEM V, Steinberg Retrologue and Synapse Dune (my go-to work horse). After demoing LuSH, I could see it replace Retrologue quite well, but not Synapse Dune and SEM V. SEM has unbeliavably fat and smooth sound, where as Retrologue is all around "analogue wanna-be". Great for it's price, but not extraordinary. It has a basic mod matrix, but lacks arpeggiator for example. I find LuSH to be much "thinner" than SEM V, but it might sit easier in the mix.

I don't have Diva and plan not to get it because I had ear splitting noise blast problems with it running.

The idea of LuSH to me is kind of like SEM V, it's got it's own distinct sound and you either like it or not. I think it's a bit misleading marketing from D16 to say it's the only synth you need.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This looked promising, now it will be a pointless purchase for me.
The CPU usage is just too high. I don't care about an 101 emulation, what I looked for is
a fresh bread-and-butter softsynth that doesn't sound as dark and epic as Diva.
Anyway, I might get interested again with a future update, when it's addressing the CPU issue!
Saurus+Electrax is a pretty deadly combo, they are both great alone but even better together.

Thor+Predator is another nice combo.

WTB rack extension for Lush, works really great with Thor+Predator :P
Old 20th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
LuSH is a CPU hog indeed. And the GUI layout isn't that ergonomic either. But it's sound has some character and doesn't sound sterile to me.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I like the supersaw...

... But the gui definitely needs a makeover. It reminds me of late 1990s webdesign, when people loved to use tiny, tiny fonts (with no option to resize).

I'd like it if they removed the huge, useless keyboard and doubled the size of text, sliders and knobs.
Old 21st October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondwave ➑️
Retrologue is pretty good, but it's not excactly a bread & butter VA, in my book it goes into same cathegory with diva, lush, saurus, sem v etc which emulate analog as possible, but are limited in other features. Plus retrologue is bit of a cpu hog too.

The bread and butter stuff to me are those with basically endless mod matrix possibilities and sound somewhat neutral/digital instead of trying to emulate analog. Maybe different filter models etc. LuSH only has one, where as some have plenty and FM possibilities etc. Bread & butter needs to be easy on the cpu too.

I fell a bit in the same hole and expected LuSH to be "the only synth you'll need" as they advertise it, but I don't think it is true. It's a great instrument with personal sound, but it's not a bread & butter sound sculptor like maybe Synapse Dune, Cakewalk Zeta etc..

In the past months I've used basically three synths, Arturia SEM V, Steinberg Retrologue and Synapse Dune (my go-to work horse). After demoing LuSH, I could see it replace Retrologue quite well, but not Synapse Dune and SEM V. SEM has unbeliavably fat and smooth sound, where as Retrologue is all around "analogue wanna-be". Great for it's price, but not extraordinary. It has a basic mod matrix, but lacks arpeggiator for example. I find LuSH to be much "thinner" than SEM V, but it might sit easier in the mix.

I don't have Diva and plan not to get it because I had ear splitting noise blast problems with it running.

The idea of LuSH to me is kind of like SEM V, it's got it's own distinct sound and you either like it or not. I think it's a bit misleading marketing from D16 to say it's the only synth you need.
I'm gonna get the Retrologue demo. I never actually purchased Largo, but I used the demo a lot before buying my Blofeld and I think that could easily be a bread and butter synth. I love it's sound.

I agree with you about the neutral / digital sound being better for bread and butter.
Old 21st October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
i just bought lush! its a big deal cuz im a broke mofo lol. i didnt demo it.. so many good things said about it i didnt feel i needed too. i spent a good half hour rockin out too the knight rider patch. *puts on his sun glasses* lol
Old 21st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Shioitor looked better, this new gui is so cramped and tiring. The 3d render looked very cool (except the large keys and five of them missing) and looked like a synth but then they put 200 tiny leds to click on, insert fx bla bla... it seems the marketing department took it over and turned into marvellous crap. "LuSH-101 polyphonic synthesizer" yeah right, from that Boland company right? Only good thing added is maybe the vowel filter, it s fun, but i notice that all insert fx sounds plastic except chorus and then i look at shioitor and it has only chorus per part...

Overall sounds good i like the sh101 filter very much , it's the only itb filter i ve heard with resonance sounding squashy and not ringy, very good sh101 emu, nice job! But the mixer doesn't sound like sh101 so Lu"sh-101" is irrellevant. I don't understand why i have to click to choose the sh-101 filter every time, a preference in the options menu is the proper way. I think it's very good for polyphonic patches with unison sounds big and punchy, the highs are smooth. The unison could sound a bit deeper and more 3d i believe others have done it better, a bit of a disapointment.

Very good overall imo but i' m gonna skip for now. It looks like they turned a nice project into a terrible mess.
Old 22nd October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
bottom line is d16 sounds extremely nice. Digital emulation's have come a long way, hopefully this trend continues.
Old 22nd October 2012
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The LuSh-101 is really far from being a DIVA competitor ! If you work at a 44.1kHz sample rate you will get aliasing between 19kHz and 22kHz and that is not the case with the DIVA... So when D16 Group claims that their LuSh-101 is alias free they should also tell that it is true if you work at a higher sample rate than 44.1kHz... Excepted this fact the overal quality of the LuSh-101 is really good and the layering is clearly an interesting feature !
I made a quick review on my blog (PDF file) : LuSh-101 Review

Have a nice day !
Old 22nd October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by suntsu ➑️
If you work at a 44.1kHz sample rate you will get aliasing between 19kHz and 22kHz and that is not the case with the DIVA...
There's a high quality option in options menu, have you turned it on ?
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbientMonkey ➑️
There's a high quality option in options menu, have you turned it on ?
Yes...
Old 22nd October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I've tried with both quality settings to test it, but I couldn't get any aliasing at 44.1 at all.
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbientMonkey ➑️
I've tried with both quality settings to test it, but I couldn't get any aliasing at 44.1 at all.
So tell me what can be seen on this screenshot...

Soundcard = M-Audio Audiophile 192
DAW = Cockos Reaper
Sample rate = 44.1kHz
LuSh-101 config = Quality set to High
LuSh-101 Note played = C3
Waveform = Pure sawtooth
LP Filter = fully open with no resonnance
Spectrum analyser = Schope 1.5
Spectrum analyser resolution FFT 16384
Old 22nd October 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Sounds just as stale and plastic as a 101/202 should.

Used to love having 2 MC-202's .. this would bring me back.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
sounds great, easy to program & use, really easy!

automation is a bit rough right now across X layers
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You're right
my analyzer was set to show only down to -36db so I didn't see it, but now once I set it to -90db I can see it, so it was my mistake, you were right
Great synth nevertheless
Old 22nd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
is it a bigger cpu ***** then diva ? How it relates ?
Old 22nd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
OK, finally had time to test this. Diva competitor, naah... Anyway.

+ Very good sounds, not exactly SH-101 but I never liked the dry SH101 sound, anyway.
+ UI was more readable than I thought, I have a 27" monitor in my studio

- CPU hog, indeed. And I'm running Diva on this same computer.
- Lots of unnecessary features like the six layer and drum section, effects et rest, doubt I have a need to build and record such patches. I rather do drums on a separate track and channel.
- The demo nag windowing was silly, such things just annoy a prospective purchaser.

I would say if the unnecessary features were removed as well as the price down to $129 as well as fixing the crazy CPU usage, I would get it. Just now I'm on the fence.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
people like ****.
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think Lush101 sounds very good. There will be those who are stuck in a cave in deep stone age unable to hear anything, no doubt (yes Sctt Stone Daddy O!) But others may hear it.
Below, one file Lush-101 the other SH-101, (the SH-101 file courtesy of Synthmania, if I may):

http://www.electric-himalaya.com/stu...-FunkyBass.mp3
Old 23rd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am impressed.

It seems that that all of you soft synth users have developed a thick skin and are immune to trolling. Bravo. I will now delete my previous comment as you all have passed the test.

Well, I will leave the last line.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by himalaya ➑️
I think Lush101 sounds very good. There will be those who are stuck in a cave in deep stone age unable to hear anything, no doubt (yes Sctt Stone Daddy O!) But others may hear it.
Below, one file Lush-101 the other SH-101, (the SH-101 file courtesy of Synthmania, if I may):

http://www.electric-himalaya.com/stu...-FunkyBass.mp3
The gap is closing that's for certain.
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The raw waves sound nasty.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
So tell me what can be seen on this screenshot...

Soundcard = M-Audio Audiophile 192
DAW = Cockos Reaper
Sample rate = 44.1kHz
LuSh-101 config = Quality set to High
LuSh-101 Note played = C3
Waveform = Pure sawtooth
LP Filter = fully open with no resonnance
Spectrum analyser = Schope 1.5
Spectrum analyser resolution FFT 16384
There is no aliasing with the AU version. I checked.
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➑️
There is no aliasing with the AU version. I checked.
Very strange because AU or VST are just communication protocols and the basis sound engine should be the same... Gonna give it a try on my MAC ;-) But anyway, thanks for you feedback !
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'ts rare to hear a soft synth that close to original m judging from these examples and other examples posted before on kvr, usually you can hear the difference right away with other soft synths as you start playing with a filter, PWM or other complicated things.
For me, from what I've heard up until now, are negligible differences, it's behaving like HW.
Here's some reference for other softies against their originals
special - KEYBOARDS 04/04 - Vintage-Synth-Plug-ins
πŸ“ Reply