D16 Lush - new Diva Competitor? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
D16 Lush - new Diva Competitor?
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yeah, I was afraid that I'd derail the thread with that heh

The replacements completely break the immersion the original tried to achieve and I feel they're a compromise, given with utmost reluctance.
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Wildfunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️
Yes, that was the old version, announced in 2009 (time flies when you're having fun!), and they saw that it was a bad idea.
Ooops... my fault. I thought the gui on the first post is the actual one, but it looks like it's something between the new and the old one.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Diva... hmmm... not really. More comparable eventually for the sound to FXPansion Strobe. Anyway, looks interesting and the audio demos are good.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➑️
Why is everything compared to DIVA?

Anyways, the GUI looks GREAT and sounds seem to be nice.

I hope it can do PWM as crazy as the HW.
Don't you know that DIVA set the new standard?

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshire ➑️
Don't you know that DIVA set the new standard?
Yes, it's usually a good sign that the sales point is 'XYZ' killer, means you have a killer product indeed that others are chasing with copycats. Anyway, before this craziness goes further, LuSH101 and Diva are different. Diva was designed to have the oscillator, filter, ADSR and LFO sections separate, emulating each one so you have a mix-and-match system with let's say Jupiter-8 oscillators, MS-20 filters and Juno ADSR. Pretty cool if someone would have told me 20+ years ago that it was doable.

LuSH101 is an SH101 Virtual Analog on steroids. It might be equally good but it was designed around another design. Some might like Diva or not, some LuSH101 or not but they are not exactly copying each other. Some sounds might sound similar, that's for sure, but that would not be based by deliberate design. Ugh.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
As thread starter I intended as "the next big thing", not really a copycat of the Diva...
Old 13th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
D16 makes some killer GUI.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The graphic design is one of the best, if not the best I've yet seen.

Some lovely touches there, for example the solo buttons for each layer. This is so helpful. Often I see a 'mute' button only on multi-layer synths, but having solo speeds up the work flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➑️
Sterile? I think not.
Isn't it! Diva has such a lush and authentic sound which can be as 'fluid' and 'organic' as I want (the Trimmers page is the key here...) I don't understand anyone calling it "sterile".
Old 13th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
yup
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
By the way, as to the thread title question:

"D16 Lush - new Diva Competitor?"

Two different synths offering different sound and approach. They complement each other more than compete against each other.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
yup.. two different synths
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
to op--no

on gearprudez d16 and uhe are competitors

on gearslutz d16 and uhe are collaborators

so yes! of course. i am in!
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
But does it have Zero Delay Feedback??????????????????????????????????

;P
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrometro ➑️
D16 makes some killer GUI.
Indeed. Unfortunately i've always felt like their plugins look quite a bit better than they sound. That being said, I'm still really excited to finally have an SH-101 emulation.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And so many people were convinced that this was vaporware =o] Looking fwd to this! I use all 3 of their drum machines and own all the effects.
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Well, it took 'm 3 years to finish, which is like, eternity in the software world.

Still, the demos sound good, and I think the built-in multitimbrality is a nice option.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, it took 'm 3 years to finish, which is like, eternity in the software world.

Still, the demos sound good, and I think the built-in multitimbrality is a nice option.
It's still in Beta...I don't know if it is close to a release now, but it was in private beta for many months...I can't see what's changed except that announcement...
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think the announcement itself is already of importance - they know they've been taking their time with this (which is not a problem) but they wouldn't bother to send out updates if they didn't have anything more concrete taking shape.

Wasn't it so that the original announcement was leaked instead of revealed intentionally? And then they had to spend all their manpower on moving their existing plugins into 64-bits, which took longer than expected.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They are close.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think the announcement itself is already of importance - they know they've been taking their time with this (which is not a problem) but they wouldn't bother to send out updates if they didn't have anything more concrete taking shape.

Wasn't it so that the original announcement was leaked instead of revealed intentionally? And then they had to spend all their manpower on moving their existing plugins into 64-bits, which took longer than expected.
Yes, I don't blame them for that. People get impatient when they know about a project much earlier though.
Old 12th October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
D16 just announced that LuSH-101 would be available next thursday (october 18th).
D16 Group Audio Software - Beyond Perfection - LuSH-101
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
excellent. eagerly awaiting some reviews!
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
really bored by this type of GUI.

cableguys curve2 is much more inspiring. it sounds fantastic too.

Cableguys - Audio Plugins

ignore the youtube on their page. it's all wub wub. try the demo.. it's great. lot's of lush pads and really just killer all around sound. and fun to use.
Old 12th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hmm, looks and sounds pretty good, but I haven't decided if it's worth $200. Clearly there are some big differences between LuSH and DIVA, but where I already have DIVA (which is cheaper than LuSH), I'm wondering if those differences are enough to justify the price. For example, Urs already said that DIVA is going to get an arpeggiator down the line. But LuSH is multitimbral, and I'm interested to see the way layers work. Definitely going to demo it; it may actually complement DIVA really well.

But one thing I'll say now, I absolutely hate the GUI. It is really hard to read. I was looking at a picture which took up most of my screen (17"), and I'm straining to read it with 20-20 vision. I don't need to see the f***ing PW, MW and keyboard; all they do is take up real estate on the screen, get rid of it and space out and enlarge the parameters.
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The GUI is at first atractive but once you use it is a PITA. So in the end the GUI is horrible beaten then by Polyana that has the most ugly and unfuctional GUI ever.

twin 2 and curve, faw circle, massive Those are good GUIS for soft synths.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
O God, Polyana. I've never even demoed it, one look at the GUI and I just refused. What an eyesore. When you are staring at a GUI for several hours, it shouldn't give you headaches.

DIVA has an OK one. Others GUIs may be prettier, but I can look at it for long periods of time and not have my eyes be bothered. I spent about 3-4 hrs working on just a single patch last weekend, and when I'm being that detailed and meticulous, I don't want to have to think for a second about the GUI being a bother.
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
sounds good but i only work in protools. AAX support?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
If it sounds like this one it's OK for me...

Roland SH-101 Analog Synthesizer (1983) - YouTube
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by login ➑️
The GUI is at first atractive but once you use it is a PITA. So in the end the GUI is horrible beaten then by Polyana that has the most ugly and unfuctional GUI ever.

twin 2 and curve, faw circle, massive Those are good GUIS for soft synths.
Agreed, I own the Nithonat (TR606 emualtion). At first it looks beautiful, but when you start working with it, it's terrible (micro buttons, micro leds that switch between red and black etc).
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apolo ➑️
If it sounds like this one it's OK for me...

Roland SH-101 Analog Synthesizer (1983) - YouTube
probably not
πŸ“ Reply