Quantcast
What's so special about the Roland MPG-80? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's so special about the Roland MPG-80?
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
What's so special about the Roland MPG-80?

So what is so special about the MPG-80 programmer for the MKS-80? I've been watching MKS-80s on ebay recently and noticed high prices when they sell with the MPG-80. One auction just ended at around $3200. The MKS-80 alone on ebay can be had for under $2k. There is an MPG-80 alone on ebay right now for over a grand. I know we are talking ebay prices, but are the MPG-80s gold plated or something? It's just a programmer; it doesn't make sound. There are other programmers out there. What did they even cost new? I couldn't imagine more than $500. Is the MPG-80 that collectable?
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 ➑️
Is the MPG-80 that collectable?

Pretty much. There are other programmers and editors, but nothing beats having the original programmer.

It's the same with the programmers for the JX-3P/8P-10. In this case, the programmer can sell for as much as the synth itself..
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Look at it this way - the number of MKS-80s out there will be significantly larger than the number of MPG-80s. Everyone who has an MKS-80 would ideally like an MPG-80 to go with it - they are made specifically for each other. The MPG-80 *is* the MKS-80's front panel.

So, the price reflects the desire of people to own it - it has nothing to do with the value of the hardware, or current prices of 'similar' devices.

Just supply and demand at work in a free economy I'm afraid.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
It's not a direct copy of any single PG programmer, but for anyone looking for a solid MKS programmer (and more) without breaking the bank, Kiwi Technics' Patch Editor can't be beat: KiwiTechnics Patch Editor

For the price I received selling my PG-800, I was able to pickup the Kiwi which is better in many ways and it controls a wide range of synths. My favorite features: the LCD screen shows current values, the LEDs on the individual controls make it easy to use in the dark and, best of all, only those controls that are needed for each synth light up. The Kiwi Patch Editor made me (MADE ME!) buy two synths that I wouldn't have otherwise considered because of their sparse front panels.

As much as I like the sound of the MKS-80 (I prefer the REV5 which seems less common), I can't see paying anywhere near $1,000 for an MPG-80. For collectors or those who want the complete matching patch editor, it's not a direct substitute, but for people that don't want to spend $2,000+ and find space for a bunch of controllers, the Kiwi Patch Editor makes a whole lot of sense.
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth80s ➑️
It's not a direct copy of any single PG programmer, but for anyone looking for a solid MKS programmer (and more) without breaking the bank, Kiwi Technics' Patch Editor can't be beat: KiwiTechnics Patch Editor
The Kiwi looks really nice. I am just using Puzzlegob's mks-80 Lemur template for now, since I have an iPad and Lemur. If I find that the iPad isn't working out, I may look into getting the Kiwi editor. So far, Puzzlegob's template works great. It even has tone morph multi controller that can do all kinds of craziness with the mks-80.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
There's no question that the endless array of iPad apps are the cheapest, easiest way to get more control of synths like the MKS series which are far less fun without any form of external control.

I'm toying with software controllers, but nothing substitutes for the tactility and immediacy of real knobs and buttons. The Kiwi is far better than the more generic hardware controllers in my experience (I had a Novation Zero SL MKII and didn't think much of it).

Here's an awesome roll-reversal: a beautiful dedicated (it can be reprogrammed, but it's obviously designed for this function) hardware controller for the commonly used Prophet 5 VSTs: Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 Midi controller for Arturia vst virtual instrument | eBay
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
There's no question that the endless array of iPad apps are the cheapest, easiest way to get more control of synths like the MKS series which are far less fun without any form of external control.

I'm toying with software controllers, but nothing substitutes for the tactility and immediacy of real knobs and buttons. The Kiwi is far better than the more generic hardware controllers in my experience (I had a Novation Zero SL MKII and didn't think much of it).

Here's an awesome roll-reversal: a beautiful dedicated (it can be reprogrammed, but it's obviously designed for this function) hardware controller for the commonly used Prophet 5 VSTs: Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 Midi controller for Arturia vst virtual instrument | eBay
I own the professor. Anyone interested in seeing it should check the September New Gear thread. I must say, it's delectable.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Can you provide a link? I only see this older thread: ALKEX INSTRUMENTS Professor5: Prophet Midi Controller

I've been thinking about one of these controllers, but the fact that there was no info about it on their website (Contact Support) made me wonder if it's already discontinued. In fact it now looks like their website was hacked, which doesn't say anything about the product, but still.

How do you like yours? Do you use it with anything other than Arturia's Prophet V?
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Just found the September new gear thread. Sorry for the thread hijack, but I love me some controllers. Give us the dirt, Schwarzwald!
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There is no substitute for the immediacy and tactile nature of the MPG80.

Zero menu diving. Even a control to talk to different MKS 80's. Dedicated buttons for mode selection and all expression functions such as varying degrees of aftertouch, LFO2 stuff, bender range,etc. All grouped together in a strip on the bottom. Some have complained about the small sliders, but any larger and the footprint has to be larger as well in order to accommodate everything. Roland could have gone with all rotary pots, but they were clearly in the slider camp, and that goes back all the way to the early SH series synths.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just found the September new gear thread. Sorry for the thread hijack, but I love me some controllers. Give us the dirt, Schwarzwald!

SOON!
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzwald ➑️
SOON!
OK, it's been a week. Time to come up for air and report your findings!
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
So what is so special about the MPG-80 programmer for the MKS-80? I've been watching MKS-80s on ebay recently and noticed high prices when they sell with the MPG-80. One auction just ended at around $3200. The MKS-80 alone on ebay can be had for under $2k. There is an MPG-80 alone on ebay right now for over a grand. I know we are talking ebay prices, but are the MPG-80s gold plated or something? It's just a programmer; it doesn't make sound. There are other programmers out there. What did they even cost new? I couldn't imagine more than $500. Is the MPG-80 that collectable?
other than the collectable aspect (I fail to see how the current price is sustainable, I feel most people are just unaware that you can easily control the MKS-80 using other (some free) products) , I see little advantage (zero advantage if you take cost into account) in the MPG-80 over something like the novation remote / x-station. In fact, I think they are far superior at a fraction of the price...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerbib2000 ➑️
other than the collectable aspect (I fail to see how the current price is sustainable, I feel most people are just unaware that you can easily control the MKS-80 using other (some free) products) , I see little advantage (zero advantage if you take cost into account) in the MPG-80 over something like the novation remote / x-station. In fact, I think they are far superior at a fraction of the price...
I've been using Lemur and Puzzlegob's MKS-80 template. It works great, plus he added controllers that are only capable with a touchscreen device. I am working on a Lemur template myself for my Marion System MSR-2 rack synth. Aside from touchscreen not being quite the same as physical controllers, Lemur is one of the coolest things out there in the computer/tablet solution market. Don't get me wrong, Lemur is very accurate in its controls. I am very impressed with it.

You are right though...people probably just don't know that you can control MIDI synths with any MIDI controller. That is what is so great about MIDI.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I've been using Lemur and Puzzlegob's MKS-80 template. It works great, plus he added controllers that are only capable with a touchscreen device. I am working on a Lemur template myself for my Marion System MSR-2 rack synth. Aside from touchscreen not being quite the same as physical controllers, Lemur is one of the coolest things out there in the computer/tablet solution market. Don't get me wrong, Lemur is very accurate in its controls. I am very impressed with it.

You are right though...people probably just don't know that you can control MIDI synths with any MIDI controller. That is what is so great about MIDI.
Well in terms of the MKS-80 etc.., whose params respond to sysex only, there are actually very few hardware controllers capable of sending sysex (i can think of xstation/BCR2000/Peavey/control freak(?) off the top of my head)...is the novation the only keyboard that can send programmable sysex strings?

but yeah, hurrah for the MIDI protocol!
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
There is an MPG-80 alone on ebay right now for over a grand.
Is this the one you are referring to?

ROLAND SUPER JUPITER MKS-80 WITH MPG-80 ORIGINAL MANUAL M-64C 761294500804 | eBay

It's a suspicious auction. Seller with zero feedback lists a high value item. Scroll down and view the invitation to buy it directly from Sara at a gmail address. The seller account is probably hijacked because it was created in 2007.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM NRG ➑️
Is this the one you are referring to?

ROLAND SUPER JUPITER MKS-80 WITH MPG-80 ORIGINAL MANUAL M-64C 761294500804 | eBay

It's a suspicious auction. Seller with zero feedback lists a high value item. Scroll down and view the invitation to buy it directly from Sara at a gmail address. The seller account is probably hijacked because it was created in 2007.
No. It was just an MPG-80 by itself asking for around $1100. I think that auction is probably over now. That was a week ago or so when I noticed it.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerbib2000 ➑️
Well in terms of the MKS-80 etc.., whose params respond to sysex only, there are actually very few hardware controllers capable of sending sysex (i can think of xstation/BCR2000/Peavey/control freak(?) off the top of my head)...is the novation the only keyboard that can send programmable sysex strings?

but yeah, hurrah for the MIDI protocol!
Actually, I believe Puzzlegob's template is mostly CC messages. I don't have the template on me (work computer) to look right now, but maybe he will chime in if he reads this.
πŸ“ Reply