Quantcast
groundbreaking/novel euro modules? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
groundbreaking/novel euro modules?
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
groundbreaking/novel euro modules?

I'm interested in hearing your opinions on what you'd consider to be some of the more interesting 'progressive' and forward-thinking' modules—specifically in euro format, but i'm open to any format if there's something really interesting out there in another format as well.

I'm talking about modules that are capable of doing things that weren't previously possible (even if it's just one small, unique feature that's never been implemented before), or something that maybe just has a different approach to doing something than the standard, or how things are typically done.

So—let me know what your experience has been! and i'd like to hear details about why in particular you think something is groundbreaking, and maybe something anecdotal about what exactly you've been able to do with it (or want to be able to do, if you don't have one), that's interesting to you.
Old 13th September 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I really like my Phonogene. (phrase sampler) not a new concept but nothing sounds like it. the interpolation between the sample slices is just right.
Have a 4ms PEG coming as well. (lenght of envelope adjusts automatically to tempo)
Of course the 4ms RCD and SCM are great rhythm tools, coupled with other sequencer modules these are quite useful and unique.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Make Noise Echophon & anything by The Harvestman .
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

Just discovered the addac102 after browsing AH aimlessly. It's an FM tuner in eurorack. Nothing groundbreaking there. But I find it really cool that you can change the tuning, volume and seek with CV. I think this is a pretty cool concept and would yield some interesting random results (as you sweep through noise and various news talk and music stations). I've never used one though so I'm not sure if it translates well in practice, but I found it a unique concept in euro.

Another unusual/interesting module in euro is the dave jones o'tool. It's basically an oscilloscope, tuner, frequency meter, x-y graph, etc. Of course it doesn't produce any sound, but it's fairly "different" than what you'd normally see in a modular.

Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Deleted 8456dd3
Wow that addac is cool, i never saw that before...

Doesn't it require an aerial to get a good signal, cant see any aerial input on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsample ➡️
Just discovered the addac102 after browsing AH aimlessly. It's an FM tuner in eurorack. Nothing groundbreaking there. But I find it really cool that you can change the tuning, volume and seek with CV. I think this is a pretty cool concept and would yield some interesting random results (as you sweep through noise and various news talk and music stations). I've never used one though so I'm not sure if it translates well in practice, but I found it a unique concept in euro.

Another unusual/interesting module in euro is the dave jones o'tool. It's basically an oscilloscope, tuner, frequency meter, x-y graph, etc. Of course it doesn't produce any sound, but it's fairly "different" than what you'd normally see in a modular.

Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So, nobody thinks there are any truly groundbreaking modules out there? I'd kind of hoped modular would be where the really creative and novel analog stuff would be at. I'm interested in finding things that push the boundaries of what analogs were originally capable of in the 70s—so i assume there have to be some newer inventions pushing the the envelope of analog synthesis capabilities.
Old 14th September 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
give it some time, we'll come up with something ;-)

if you take the seventies as reference point, there's certainly some innovations. (it all depends on the POV, right?)
anyway, I found the charger for my camcorder again , so soon I'll post videos
in the meantime...

groundbreaking/novel euro modules?-stimpy.gif
Attached Thumbnails
groundbreaking/novel euro modules?-stimpy.gif  
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
PEG, Piston Honda, Hertz Donut, Tyme Sefari II, E350, E340, Cyclebox, DPO, Rene, Phonogene, Echophon, FMDO/3VCO/DualWave/TouchSeq, Noisering.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How about even in terms of just oscillator modules? My first eurorack purchase is going to consist of a happy ending rack and the coolest oscillator module i can find—I'm basically going to control it from my minibrute, and run its output into the minibrute to use as a second oscillator. BUT, i really want to find something unique; not just a run-of-the-mill oscillator.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you want something to pair with a CV friendly monosynth, I highly suggest a digital oscillator, especially something like the E350 Morphing Terrarium or Harvestman Piston Honda. Adding a voltage-controllable wavetable to a nice analog monosynth really opens up new worlds.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma ➡️
I'd kind of hoped modular would be where the really creative and novel analog stuff would be at.
It is, just not in a single module. And I think that's the whole point. Combining wierd/new and traditional modules is what's groundbreaking. Just my opinion though, I've only just gotten myself into this mess.
Old 14th September 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
ADDAC makes some unusual stuff as well

Flame Tame Machine

Metasonix and Trogotronic

Snazzy FX Ardcore (Arduino), 4ms RCD and Rebel tech Stoicheia

etc. etc. etc. etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd ➡️
If you want something to pair with a CV friendly monosynth, I highly suggest a digital oscillator, especially something like the E350 Morphing Terrarium or Harvestman Piston Honda. Adding a voltage-controllable wavetable to a nice analog monosynth really opens up new worlds.
those modules look rad, but honestly i've NEVER cared for the sound of wavetables. I'm not against the idea of digital, but i think personally that's where softsynth technology probably excels, and i'm much more interested in finding what new capabilities and possibilities exist with analog technology.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm all for analog or whatever, but the combination of modular wavetables and analog VCFs can't be beat (if you're into that sort of thing). But I'm very into hybrids.... here's a pic of my Euro setup; it's as digital as it is analog. I encourage all newcomers to adopt a similar approach (if it suits their musical purposes, of course).
Attached Thumbnails
groundbreaking/novel euro modules?-base_90_nightime.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
awesome setup! hard to discern exactly what's in there.
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
WMD - Synchrodyne

an analog sawcore VCO being fed into a PLL in order to clock a switched capacitor filter chip, definitely want to try this thing out

also check out

http://www.wmdevices.com/pdo.php
Old 14th September 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yes I like WMD. That PDO is on the list for sure!

Atma, perfectly understandable that you don't like wavetables. Question of taste, you like it, or don't. I got my wavetables in my Microwave XT and Fizmo so didn't buy wavetable osc modules on purpose. But one thing isn't true, hardware wavetable synths sound VERY different from software. A digital wavetable osc is NOT based on DSP. I don't think software will approach that sound anytime soon.
If you like analogue oscillators, try out the Anti-Oscillator, it's got a neat feedback built in. Or that DPO in the above post, the Intellijel Octature, or the re-issue of the M15.
Old 14th September 2012
Bio
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
A digital wavetable osc is NOT based on DSP.
The Piston Honda use stored wavetables but the module itself use a DSP.
Seems like the E350 too :
Quote:
I am sending over to the SMT assembly house parts for 160 more DSP cards for the E340/350, this should last all summer.
Appart from the Wiard Miniwave i think the currents wavetables oscs all use DSP.

Quote:
If you like analogue oscillators, try out the Anti-Oscillator, it's got a neat feedback built in.
I wouldn't recommand the AO : very subjective but imo the AO is a 1 trick pony, nice but really far from flexible. And the waveshaper start with a square, make few sense : you want to start with a waveform with few harmonics and then add them.

If you want a novel osc, take a Thru zero osc like the Rubicon.

Quote:
I'm not against the idea of digital, but i think personally that's where softsynth technology probably excels, and i'm much more interested in finding what new capabilities and possibilities exist with analog technology.
The way you use and control your soft and your modular is very different, imo digital modules are a big part of why modular are so exiting at the moment.

Digital thru big sounding analogue VCF, LPG, waveshaper sound great and can easily be groundbreaking.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bio ➡️
The way you use and control your soft and your modular is very different, imo digital modules are a big part of why modular are so exiting at the moment.

Digital thru big sounding analogue VCF, LPG, waveshaper sound great and can easily be groundbreaking.
+1

If you want a new perspective an the whole digital/analog thing that's seems to consume 70% of this forum real estate get a modular with some digital in there. The sounds you get out of a Hertz Donut through an LPG are maybe not groundbreaking (huge term imo) but certainly unique to the format.

For an exciting analog osc chock-full of functionality and fresh timbres check out the Make Noise DPO.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Appart from the Wiard Miniwave i think the currents wavetables oscs all use DSP.
Oh that's news to me. Yeah I knew about the e350. You learn something every day. The Harvestman has waveforms on little cards, maybe these load into the DSP?, seems to me they read real time from it? I'll look into it.

Anyway, it sounds radically different than software. That was my point.
Quote:
I wouldn't recommand the AO : very subjective but imo the AO is a 1 trick pony, nice but really far from flexible. And the waveshaper start with a square, make few sense : you want to start with a waveform with few harmonics and then add them.
mmm disagree with you here. I like to start off with a rich waveform. The AO does have a sound, but it's capable of more than the usual youtubes show, IMO. I'll make and upload a video soon. (promise )
Quote:
If you want a novel osc, take a Thru zero osc like the Rubicon.
Yeah it looks nice, though I don't have one. So can't recommend.
What's it like?
Quote:
yes, the difference blends away while using, since all i/o is either gate, cv or audio. enjoying the digital Double Andore on analogue oscillators. I really don't care myself, still I can imagine purists go for an all analogue system.
But the question was groundbreaking/novel. Not "analogue". heh
Quote:
Yes, rich timbres, then hack into pieces using LPG or an envelope&filter.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➡️
mmm disagree with you here. I like to start off with a rich waveform. The AO does have a sound, but it's capable of more than the usual youtubes show, IMO. I'll make and upload a video soon. (promise )
The thing about the AO, and the point Bio is trying to make I think, is that there's quite a 'shaping/folding' range missing. The AO is a triangle core osc but the 'mayhem' output starts out as a square that gets progressively folded/shaped into, well, mayhem.

Why not start the mayhem output with the triangle so you'd have the entire range from triange to mayhem available.

That said the AO delivers some of the most organic sounds I've heard coming from my setup.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd ➡️
I'm all for analog or whatever, but the combination of modular wavetables and analog VCFs can't be beat
My thoughts exactly.
I didn't begin a Euro system thinking that way though. I started out wanting 100% analog because I figured anything digital could be covered by software or a digital keyboard. But man, when I got an e350 it quickly became my favorite oscillator. The sound of running digital oscillators through analog filters is where it's at for me right now.
Old 14th September 2012
Bio
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Oh that's news to me. Yeah I knew about the e350. You learn something every day. The Harvestman has waveforms on little cards, maybe these load into the DSP?, seems to me they read real time from it? I'll look into it.
I think that's it, from The Harvestman :
Quote:
the Piston uses no technology from the miniwave or related designs, though it shares the data format. It is a DSP module based on one half of the Hertz Donut.
Quote:
Anyway, it sounds radically different than software. That was my point.
Totally agree, they even all sound different !
Quote:
Yes, I know them but think they lack several things like sync, offset for the Wavefolder, more waveforms etc....As always, tastes change everythings.

Quote:
Why not start the mayhem output with the triangle so you'd have the entire range from triange to mayhem available.
Exactly !

Quote:
Yeah it looks nice, though I don't have one. So can't recommend.
What's it like?
No experience either on this one, i have a Zeroscillator that i love for years and i hope the Rubicon will be as good (I trust Intellijel, but you'r right it's not the best to recommand something without direct experience)
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
When I was first getting into synthesis, my goal was to go Eurorack. I have strayed from that path, but I always thought the PulpLogic Entry Point and Exit Strategy to be of interest. You could turn your Eurorack into a giant guitar synth. It seems like modular is another way to have a huge effect center, as well as a self-contained noise generator.

Flame Talking Synth always seemed to me like a great idea, too. The possibilities Eurorack offers is astounding.
Old 14th September 2012
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
compared to 70s/80s, there is really a crapload of new modules technologies.

its true that one part of new manufacturers actually cloned or further developed ideas that first came in early Buchlas.. but.. how many ppl acutally used, or even heard Buchlas back then. i think most of those are still quite novel and fresh, especially compared to moog/oberheim/arp idiom.

then there are many new modules with random behaviour i.e. uncertainty like Wiards Wogglebug, or Noisering that sound fantastic. not avail in 70s.

new forms of sequencers beyond the classic 960 or Xox format... you got Klee, Rene, Archangel etc.. its getting crazy..

then the revolution of expert sleepers - audio control from DAW direct to analog circuits... posibitilies are endless. impossible to comprehend even

this is just 2% i remembered. thers much much more.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
this is pretty awesome
Convulsion Generator FIL1
very cool idea and a module i'd love to add to my case

doepfer's use of hysteresis with the gape knob in the a167 comparerator always struck me as genius and super handy.

the a180 has also always blown my mind

but really there is nothing that is super groundbreaking. novel ideas can make same old same old and vanialla designs can be amazing. its modular. you don't have to do anything by any rules.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No idea when or if they've been done before but Doepfer's PLL, wave multiplier and morphing filter are all pretty neat. For me, it's really the CV and intuitive sequencing and interaction that's cool and ground breaking.

It's not the modules ,it's how you connect them and the ideas you use. Otherwise the person with the biggest modular would make the most ground breaking sounds, which hasn't been true for a long time.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
indeed! that's what interests me about modular, is the freedom involved in patching. however, i AM interested in finding modules that will allow me to push sound-design as far as my imagination can take me. One reason i want to move away from basic analog synths is i'm actually quite tired of them in terms of their redundancy and limitations—the banality of the same basic oscillator shapes that everyone's heard thousands of times. I'm interested in finding ways of generating more organic, evolving timbres, akin to the complexity and nuances that acoustic instruments generate, albeit within the context of electronic sound.

so it's not so much that i want to invest in a modular rig to get the 'phattest' analog vcfs, etc. i'm interested in modules for utilitarian reasons as far as what capabilities they can provide for more advanced and complicated sound design, outside of the computer environment—something like an analog max/msp
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There are so many funky new modules available in Euro and such a bewildering array of options ( YAY ! ! ! ) but sometimes it's worth thinking about what modulars are all about and why some of the most amazing and unique sounds were and still are produced from what looks like quite an 'vanilla' set of modules ! - I do believe that many of the new 'Quazar-mangling-Maths-wrangle' type modules are less about offering a genuinely 'new' and fresh new sound or processing but about selling 'something' with a snazzy name and less than original concept. Aside from the digital and software based modules ( which yeah, they're different.... but this is all about analogue and voltages and purity of signal etc isn't it ? ! ) there are few types of modules that genuinely offer something that isn't reproduce-able with a standard set of vanilla modules....... ( apart from filter types ! )

You have to also look at the companies that originally made modules back in the day and start to see that nearly all conform to a standard set of options which rarely differ from one make to another.... which given the range of designers and companies you'd imagine that if there was a need for a 'special' module then one of these guys would have designed it.... but nearly everything seemed to be encompassed in the selection of standard modules that they all offered....... does make you think, is there a real need to buy a new 'colour' if you already have a set of primary pigments that allow you to create any colour !

( says he with way too many modules )

Beer.
📝 Reply