groundbreaking/novel euro modules? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
groundbreaking/novel euro modules?
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma ➡️
indeed! that's what interests me about modular, is the freedom involved in patching. however, i AM interested in finding modules that will allow me to push sound-design as far as my imagination can take me. One reason i want to move away from basic analog synths is i'm actually quite tired of them in terms of their redundancy and limitations—the banality of the same basic oscillator shapes that everyone's heard thousands of times. I'm interested in finding ways of generating more organic, evolving timbres, akin to the complexity and nuances that acoustic instruments generate, albeit within the context of electronic sound.

so it's not so much that i want to invest in a modular rig to get the 'phattest' analog vcfs, etc. i'm interested in modules for utilitarian reasons as far as what capabilities they can provide for more advanced and complicated sound design, outside of the computer environment—something like an analog max/msp
Right on. With that mind set, I think you'll find what you're looking for (potentially) even with relatively simple modules. Just make sure everything is CV controllable.

For once, I agree with beermaster! A lot of the hyped modules just encapsulate techniques that you can already accomplish, and I see the value in this, for many reasons, like giving you a foundation to build upon, cost, or size, but they can also obscure understanding.

I mean, consider additive synthesis, you can get great and unique sounds, but the biggest advances have come in terms of designing intuitive control and editing methods. Afterall, additive's just a series of sines.

Personally, I think physical modeling, and feedback are the most interesting and least explored areas of synthesis and have the most potential suprises. So far, analog is far ahead in terms of musically pleasing feedback studies due to the distortion and overload characteristics.

If you're really committed to breaking ground, I think DIY is the place to go. heh Check out yusynth, ken stone and music fom outer space, to start.

On further consideration, I think expert sleepers and numerology get my vote for ground breaking because you can experiment with using a bazillion modules and control methods for much, much less money.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Expert Sleepers is new and has completely changed the way I work.
Cyclebox II is a unique module.
Synchrodyne
Phonogene
Flame Knob Recorder, or Modcan CV Recorder
Optomix, unless you want to spend $$$ on a real Buchla Low Pass Gate
Cwejman Res4
Pressure Points
Rene is a different kind of sequencer
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodeater ➡️
Personally, I think physical modeling, and feedback are the most interesting and least explored areas of synthesis and have the most potential suprises. So far, analog is far ahead in terms of musically pleasing feedback studies due to the distortion and overload characteristics.
i couldn't agree with you more! it's my personal belief that highly advanced (at least in relation to today's standards) physical modelling is absolutely the future of synthesis and sound creation. i envision programs being developed that could be considered 'audio versions' of graphical 3D design programs—they'd feature 'audio physics engines' which would be the basis upon which you could virtually design any type of device that could generate acoustic or electric sound and have full control over size/shape/types of materials used, etc., but again, rely upon highly advanced algorithms that would simulate acoustical properties related to whatever the user would 'build'.

and i also have a huge interested in feedback! i've been experimenting with a little vst plugin called "senderella", which allows unlimited modular routing from within the daw (cubase actually doesn't allow you to create intentional feedback loops!), but i haven't had a great deal of success with it yet. it may simply be a matter of the digital environment, but i haven't figured out a reliable way of setting up fx chains for feedback loops without everything becoming unstable and behaving strangely in the process.
Old 18th September 2012
Bio
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I do believe that many of the new 'Quazar-mangling-Maths-wrangle' type modules are less about offering a genuinely 'new' and fresh new sound or processing but about selling 'something' with a snazzy name and less than original concept.
Maths is not a good example as it definitely give something new and fresh over "standard" modulation like LFO and ADSR.

Imo it's more about selling something with a specific vision and ergonomic than a snazzy name. Individual module and combinaison like Maths don't lead to the same use.

It's true that you can do a lot with simple module and it's very interresting but there is no reason to stop there. I agree that sometime it can be better to make the most out of simples things, but it don't have to always be the case.

Without module like Maths my modular wouldn't be so fun and creative.

Quote:
if there was a need for a 'special' module then one of these guys would have designed it.... but nearly everything seemed to be encompassed in the selection of standard modules that they all offered.......
I don't really follow you there : what about digisound 80, Buchla, Serge etc, etc... More than your standard module. Imo not true. Buchla is even still designing new "special" modules.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➡️
Optomix, unless you want to spend $$$ on a real Buchla Low Pass Gate
Optomix certainly isn't the only (or even the first) euro LPG.
Old 18th September 2012
Bio
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, for ex the Borg 1 is very a good LPG imo and a nice filter too.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Yes, I didn't think I needed to list every LPG clone?
Also, Maths is not a good example of a groundbreaking Euro module as it is very similar to an old Serge design - the DUSG.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, I didn't think I needed to list every LPG clone?
Also, Maths is not a good example of a groundbreaking Euro module as it is very similar to an old Serge design - the DUSG.
By stating "Optomix, unless you want to spend $$$ on a real Buchla Low Pass Gate" you make it sound like there are no other options besides the Optomix or Buchla.

And by your own logic regarding Maths, the Optomix certainly isn't ground breaking.

Neither is the Pressure Points btw, see the Bugbrand CTL1.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Or the TKB, or a Buchla 216.
Is this a half hour argument?
Old 19th September 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
keep it civil please?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Or the TKB, or a Buchla 216.
Is this a half hour argument?
Ehm you lost me..

No matter it's not terribly important
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i sort of wish there were some better options for polyphonic cv control. i'd like to build a separate rack that has something like 4 identical voices with envelopes/vca/filters for each. i know intellijel makes a little master controller device to sync up multiple Dixie VCOs, which would be perfect, but there doesn't seem to be many poly cv control modules out there. I did find a prototype doepfer module that would be perfect, but only a tentative release date:

A-190-5
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Tip Top have a polyphonic set of modules in the pipeline..... or already released?
Old 20th September 2012
Bio
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For poly midi/cv there is the Kilpatrick K1600, the Analogue Systems RS370, the Signal Art tetra maps, Kenton, in 5u add MOTM and Modcan.

I'm sure there is more (Encore expressionist etc....)
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Regarding polyphonic midi/cv. Check out the Vermona qMI (quad midi/cv interface). It can operate in 4 voice polyphonic mode, 4 individual voices or in a rotating fashion where it triggers voice 1, 2, 3 and 4 successively for each note it receives. I have one and it works flawlessly. It also has outputs for clock divisions and reset. 24hp wide. You can look for the manual online and read up on all functions
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Legacy ➡️
Regarding polyphonic midi/cv. Check out the Vermona qMI (quad midi/cv interface). It can operate in 4 voice polyphonic mode, 4 individual voices or in a rotating fashion where it triggers voice 1, 2, 3 and 4 successively for each note it receives. I have one and it works flawlessly. It also has outputs for clock divisions and reset. 24hp wide. You can look for the manual online and read up on all functions
awesome! i hadn't come across that module yet—it looks perfect.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i have another question that may seem stupid—but are there modules that allow for one to multiply or divide two (non-static) cv signals? the only thing i could think of was maybe a ringmod, but i don't remember exactly what ringmods do, mathematically..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i have another question that may seem stupid—but are there modules that allow for one to multiply or divide two (non-static) cv signals? the only thing i could think of was maybe a ringmod, but i don't remember exactly what ringmods do, mathematically..
Here's a few modules you might find interesting that do various types of conversion of CV or audio. Check out the manuals for usage examples.

A-160

A-167

A-137

A-133

A-152 Voltage Addressed Switch

A-196

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
yes, an active multiplier will output two (nearly) identical copies of the original dynamic signal.

Ringmodulator theory: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_modulation

some ringmods
passive
Ken Stone's CGSRR
http://www.analoguehaven.com/delptronics/ringmodulator/ (same, with panel)
http://erthenvar.com/store/euromodules/primitive
Real passive germanium diode ring modulators for sale
active
µMod | intellijel
Doepfer a-114
MF-102 Ring Modulator
Cwejman rm-2s
dotCom q116
Synthesis Technology - MOTM 190
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
another off-topic newb question:

is it standard for VCO modules to be able to simultaneously output their different waveforms? i'm interested in the intellijel rubicon VCO, and i'm wondering if i can simply buy a couple mixer or attenuator modules to pre-wire the individual waveform outputs into and then just be able to adjust their levels from the mixer, rather than continually un/re-patching each waveform output.

edit: i guess also i should ask, if that IS true, would it make a difference to use a mixer over an attenuator or vice versa for this purpose? i'm assuming the only difference would be a mixer module would have a sum output, which is more what i'd want..
Old 10th October 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
UGHHH WANT
"just when you thought you got out, they pull you right back in"
watch your levels, this video is quite loud
📝 Reply