Quantcast
Midi Keyboard Controllers: Roland A800 Pro vs Novation Impulse - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Midi Keyboard Controllers: Roland A800 Pro vs Novation Impulse
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Midi Keyboard Controllers: Roland A800 Pro vs Novation Impulse

Hello guys. Been searching for a Midi Controller for the past few days and man this market severely needs some well built stuff. Most of the keyboards feel like cheap toys.
So here's my analysis:
After some research i have come down to Novation Impulse and Roland/Cakewalk A500/800 Pro.

Leaning towards the Roland A800 Pro, read some good reviews.

Whats the scoop on the Novation Impulse series ? Automap works well for me and the impulse has all the controls i need. I just wanna know about its reliability, stability. Am quite interested in the Impulse series too.

User experiences would help me make a decision.
Thanks so much.

PS: I know about the M-Audio and Akai controllers as well. Have had bad experiences with the M-Audio Axioms, not very interested in the Akai's purely because of the aesthetics, but am flexible.......
Old 21st October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The build quality on the roland is MUCH better - though the Impulse has piano-style keys (with matte finish black keys too) and the keybed feels quite nice. The pads are also very responsive (the roland "pads" are not ... uh ... real..... they're about the size of a finger nail each, but whatever)

Also the knobs... I thought they felt like trash - literally, I thought they were protective caps for nice knobs underneath, but no. No resistance, cheap light plastic, literally dollar-store feel. That is without exaggeration. Sliders are ...meh... I guess they're ok enough.

And it's too big for what you get. They didn't need to make it that big. It's not heavy, but it's big. If quality is a concern for you, think about AKAI their synth action keys are...well, not for me... but some like them - and the MPK88 hammer keys are actually not so bad.

Between your choices, it depends what you're in the mood for - piano style keys with pads, or a classic roland-synth style board (with slightly-less than full sized keys, and a pitch/mod stick, and quick light action for great glissandos.) with more old school general midi setup.
Old 21st October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Holy month-old-post, gearslutz! My bad!
📝 Reply