Quantcast
Anyone have pics of a Prophet 08 Desktop Module with the optional knob kit? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone have pics of a Prophet 08 Desktop Module with the optional knob kit?
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Anyone have pics of a Prophet 08 Desktop Module with the optional knob kit?

I recently picked up a Prophet 08 PE Desktop Module and I'm really digging it. The only thing I'd like to change are the knobs. Not the encoders/pots, mind you, but the knobs themselves. I prefer the look and shape of the knobs on the Prophet 08 keyboard -- they're more traditional and their markings make the values easier to see at a glance.

DSI offers a kit to swap the knobs on the desktop module to those found on the keyboard: Display Products

DSI mentions that the control panel spacing is tighter on the desktop module and the larger keyboard knobs make it even tighter. I don't think it will be an issue for me, but I'm curious to see if anyone else has swapped these knobs. If so, can you please post some pics and offer any before/after feedback from your experience?

Thanks in advance!
Synth80s
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mine came with the bigger knobs. The previous owner must have switched them out. They are a little closer together, yes. But unless you have chubby fingers it shouldn't be an issue.
I have the keyboard version, but based on pictures, it doesn't look like the spacing is any different as it likely is the same main board holding the pots/encoders. Not 100% sure because I have never seen the module in person.
You could always put the old ones back if you don't like them.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks, but all the keyboard versions of the Prophet 08 came with the bigger knobs and the spacing is tighter on the desktop module (DSI's website notes this and they mentioned it on the phone). That's why I'm specifically looking to see if anyone swapped out the knobs on the desktop version of the synth.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
So I ordered the knob kit, it arrived today and I installed it. Appearance wise I think it's an obvious improvement. Functionality-wise, it's also an improvement for me, but it may not be for everyone.

In addition to the cosmetic improvements (these knobs add a little eye candy), the pot position is much easier to suss out with the silver markings, especially in low light. The controls also feel better to me with the keyboard-style knobs, especially the dozen or so "clicky" encoders that remain on the PE. I don't feel like I'm squeezing the knobs so much to grip them now that they're bigger and have more heft. The spacing is a bit tighter as DSI said it would be, but it's a fair tradeoff. The most noticeable aspect of the keyboard style knobs is their additional height. Depending on what angle you operate the synth from, that may or may not matter to you.

In short, I think The Prophet 08 desktop module definitely looks better with the keyboard-style knobs and I think it generally feels better as well. Is this easy mod worth $75 to you? Only you can answer that, but I think it is. So I've answered my own question and maybe this thread will help someone else down the road. For future reference, I added some before and after photos and a close-up comparison of the knobs so you can see the size difference.

Oh, and lest anyone have any doubt, these knobs definitely make the Prophet 08 sound phatter and more analog -- there's no doubt that the P08 turns into a Prophet 5 and OB-X killer with these knobs.

(Yes, I'm KIDDING you touchy, hyperventilating bastards!!!) heh
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone have pics of a Prophet 08 Desktop Module with the optional knob kit?-before.jpg   Anyone have pics of a Prophet 08 Desktop Module with the optional knob kit?-after1.jpg   Anyone have pics of a Prophet 08 Desktop Module with the optional knob kit?-after2.jpg   Anyone have pics of a Prophet 08 Desktop Module with the optional knob kit?-knobs.jpg  
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looks good Synth80s.. Maybe if I get board I'll upgrade mine. $75 IS cheap for 52 knobs!
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks for uploading this man, I should be buying one of these soon, and I was planning on doing the same, the original encoders look a little cheap and tacky, and I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to slutting out my synths.

Cheers!
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
oh man i just got my P08 rack but I am now going to order those ASAP!

The knobs that come on it are cheap as ****.

Also, I hooked up the SoundTower VST editor last night....WOWZERS!! awesome!!!!!! My rack is out of reach so it's especially nice for me, browsing patches is perfect, adjusting the sequencer, automation for almost everything....i HIGHLY recommend it!

Worked 100% perfectly on first try too so no bad mouthing SoundTower for me.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Deleted 60622ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee ➑️
oh man i just got my P08 rack but I am now going to order those ASAP!

The knobs that come on it are cheap as ****.

Also, I hooked up the SoundTower VST editor last night....WOWZERS!! awesome!!!!!! My rack is out of reach so it's especially nice for me, browsing patches is perfect, adjusting the sequencer, automation for almost everything....i HIGHLY recommend it!

Worked 100% perfectly on first try too so no bad mouthing SoundTower for me.
Ive been using it since version one and it was buggy as hell, but the guy that programmed it called me from Canada and spent 20 mins getting it set up for me...top bloke

The knobs look great, they certainly enhance its aesthetics if nothing else
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
"nothing else" for me since i wont even be touching mine haha

everyone who complains about the editor is in live so maybe that's where it lacks...it's awesome in cubase., but then again, Cubase is awesome!
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee ➑️
"nothing else" for me since i wont even be touching mine haha
Yeah, but what about the extra analog punch the knobs add?
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
oh i'll still be adding them! so we shall see.

those that have the prophet, since i am new to it, do you find the output a tad low? compared to softsynths it's very low, but even a tad lower than my slim phatty and PEK too. I am running it mono and global is set to mono.

(anyone want to convince me to run it in stereo? i already have my pek in stereo and i figured it would be too much in most mixes)
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yeah those newer knobs look WAY better. the originals are horrible looking. i've never been a fan of DSI's aesthetic design sense, though. the 08 and the evolver key are their only synths that look half-decent.
πŸ“ Reply