Quantcast
What do you think of Creamware synth emulation ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What do you think of Creamware synth emulation ?
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What do you think of Creamware synth emulation ?

IMO i think they are quite amazing.
I don't really use VSTI and i was wondering if there are better emulation now in the VST world. I have DIVA but i haven't used it that much because it use to much cpu. I was thinking about upgrading my MacBook but im not sure if its worth it.

Thanks.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovietpop ➑️
IMO i think they are quite amazing.
I don't really use VSTI and i was wondering if there are better emulation now in the VST world. I have DIVA but i haven't used it that much because it use to much cpu. I was thinking about upgrading my MacBook but im not sure if its worth it.
Anything I've tried native that is competitive with the Creamware synths uses way too much CPU power. However, I pretty much work outside the computer (which is why I got the creamware card in the first place as it allows for realtime no latency interfacing with external sources), so I haven't been one to try every VSTi on the planet.

I remember 4 years ago there was talk of a native version of Flexor, but it doesn't seem to have appeared yet.

The only computer synths that have impressed me as much (more even) are for the Korg Oasys PCI card.

As far as upgrading, I suspect that a sonic-core xcite will continue to be more valuable than upgrading a decent computer (particularly a laptop) for a number of years.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I had the ASB Pro-12 for a while and while forcing users buying self-contained hardware to require a key for the editor is completely braindead, it sounded really nice - fat and clean.

If it was truly self-contained (e.g. all options truly reachable without editor, and editor being free) I'd have kept it. But I think that if you have that "editor" and a Scope card, you'd have Pro-12 as a whole, which would necessitate the serial/registration etc.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
No VA (hard or soft) compares to the CW stuff in terms of emulating the old analogs. Minimax is excellent, but I think Prodyssey just sounds astonishing.

No computer soft-synths come close IMO (I keep hoping that someday they will).
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have been using Scope for many years and the synths are top notch IF you like those synths. For the most part, I do not like the sound of them, but the quality is great. I find the most use for the Prodyssey and the UKNOW. I had a Juno 106 and I feel the UKNOW is very, very close. I wish there was a Jupiter 6/8 emulation, and some more modern stuff. I bought the Xite 1 thinking it would cover more sonic territory, then bought a Virus, Ion, and am eyeing a Jupiter 6 or Andromeda because I find the Scope synths aren't to my liking.

I do use the effects and processing, and the mixing, and everything else. I sold most of my outboard effects when I got Xite.

So, I bought it for synths, decided I pretty much hated it, then fell in love with the effects and routing. I mix on it primarily. I would buy it again. Your mileage will vary, I'm an odd one.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
BTW, I'd be glad to post some audio files if someone wants to send some MIDI files to hear for themselves.
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here are some sounds demo i have made with my Creamware Noah.
1- Minimax
2- Prophet 5
3- Prodyssey

Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think that the Creamware stuff is probbaly the best VA stuff out there. I love the VIrus, but it isn't pretending to be a Minimoog.... Is the ASB mini a real mini? no,,, but it can do the same tricks and it sounds amazing. I will never part with mine. i also own a NOAHEX....Teh wild card here is that when all of these devices started to emerge..it was very wild west. And ultimately Creamware no longer esists...so this isn't Kor g or Roland.....They rolled up the red carpet. However....with a little digging, you can dioscover that there is an island.. and an association and that there is some support for the software... It's the SCOPE people... so,, at the end of the day... sometimes really good designs and product offerings fail in the market place , and that can sometimes leave end users vulnerable

But...never put all of your eggs in one basket,, and always remeber that in life...........nothing lasts forever
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Always wanted a Mini. Couldn't afford it. Looked for some time at S.E. stuff & various software versions etc, Minimax sounded the best.

I'm usually one of the first to scoff at a VA synth imitating an analogue, but this one deserves credit, because it honestly is really, really good. (as can be heard in Sovietpop's demo above)
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Still regret not buying the Pro12 a few years back - these seem to all command quite high prices nowadays as well.
Old 15th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by timstoel ➑️
I wish there was a Jupiter 6/8 emulation, and some more modern stuff. .
There was a freebie synth that came with a german music mag that was based around the jupiter 6 and was pretty decent. Might not cut it today, but perhaps give it a try:

Saturn
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had a Prodyssey. It sounded kind of amazing. However, using the sliders was a pain, actually. I would probably get the Minimax if I had the chance.

I ended up in some financial problems, so I had to sell the Prodyssey.
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I own two Noah EX and I wouldn't part with them. Very good synths. If you get the chance to buy one then do.
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Even though I do own a Model D and a Voyager, I still keep the Minimax. Awesome synth, that comes very close the original. Closer than the Voyager IMO. I do have the Prodyssey too, and that is one wicked synth. In my opinion the best of the ASB series. Don't have an ARP to compare it to though.

Agree with Yoozer, that software key, that is required is stupid. I even complained to Creamware about it. It also produces to much work to maintain such for a manufacturer too, where basically the hardware could be the key itself. Not surprised that Creamware went down at the end. Another case where bad management kills invention, and ultimately the business itself.

FYI, there is the Plugiator for people who cannot find an original ASB:

Old 15th November 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Plugiator unfortunately aliases quite badly with higher pitches/hardsync sounds. Cool on the cheap, though.
Old 16th November 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
amazing how well Creamware did it - when they were designed years ago under more limited resources...Minimax easily stands up against the best today or even beats it...doesnt have the same weight as a real MM but still a cool sounding synth with character...
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
To my ears, the CW emulations sound a bit more 'liquid' and less compact than the originals, but they do have that smoothness and detail of great-quality synths. So my Pro12 doesn't sound 'exactly' like a Prophet 5, but it does sound *great* nonetheless.
My favorite (for Scope and Noah) has always been the ProOne, probably the best VA I've ever heard. Unfortunately, it has been programmed (to my understanding) using a different type of code, which prevented them to port it to the hardware.
Old 16th November 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
where can i be buying the prdysseys or porphet emulation asbsb by Creamware?
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As I write this, a new Plugiator costs like a used Noah ex.
What would you go for? Do the same synth models really sound differently in the two units, as reported by some users?

best regards
Massimo
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've bought my Noah Ex brand new on Ebay for 520 $ still sealed in the box.
There was a guy who had a few brand new Noah Ex for sale not long time ago.
With the Noah you have 4 parts multi and it come with :

B2003
Minimax
Interpole
Lightwave
Vectron Player
Pro-one
EDS-8i
Vocodizer

And you can kindly ask sonic core for the keys for the other plugins :
Six String
Prodyssey
Profiit5
Vectron (Beta but works fine)

You also get a tons of great FX , really really good dac, digital (S/PDIF or ADAT) output, stereo analogue input jacks AND MIDI FEEDBACK for every parameters , synths , fx etc so you can use for example an Ipad with Lemur directly plugged into the usb port and you can control every synths with patch setting.
Old 16th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovietpop ➑️
I've bought my Noah Ex brand new on Ebay for 520 $ still sealed in the box.
There was a guy who had a few brand new Noah Ex for sale not long time ago.
With the Noah you have 4 parts multi and it come with :

B2003
Minimax
Interpole
Lightwave
Vectron Player
Pro-one
EDS-8i
Vocodizer

And you can kindly ask sonic core for the keys for the other plugins :
Six String
Prodyssey
Profiit5
Vectron (Beta but works fine)

You also get a tons of great FX , really really good dac, digital (S/PDIF or ADAT) output, stereo analogue input jacks AND MIDI FEEDBACK for every parameters , synths , fx etc so you can use for example an Ipad with Lemur directly plugged into the usb port and you can control every synths with patch setting.
The Noah EX is a serious device.
Too bad that things went sideways for whatever reason becase it blows a lot of stuff out of the water right now. The sonics alone are outstanding, I haven;'t looked seriously at the Scope thing....but that;'s because I'm not in a neat tidy package at this point. I have a bunch of old, new , and rag tag fugitive fleet things. I grabbed the Noah, and it's probably the most sophisticated piece of gear that I own. You could absolutely produce a record with that box.
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've got a pro-12. Really good synth.
I had a minimax too but sold it to get an SH-101. I don't regret that. Was still a very nice synth too.
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
While the hardware versions are nice, the flexibility of the Scope software environment is what really sets CW aka S|C stuff apart for me. My only complaint is that I haven't been able to add an Xite next to my 2 dsp cards...I still use them almost everyday when I'm in the home workspace (as an Xite would let me use Scope Live, right Jimmy?)
Old 16th November 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Imagine how cool it would be if they released their synths as VSTi (including Flexor modular, Solaris etc) with a dongle. I bet theyd make a lot of money...
Old 16th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
Imagine how cool it would be if they released their synths as VSTi (including Flexor modular, Solaris etc) with a dongle. I bet theyd make a lot of money...
I thought the ASBs were the ultimate dongle, as they are a soft synth inside a box, but you can't use them in your DAW without owning one.

I use very few soft synths (not out of any ideological reasons) because I like a tactile interface which can be learned (simpler than a midi box for me). I don't believe that hardware 'inherently' sounds better, and I wonder if the Creamware stuff was re-released as VSTs how it would compete with instruments like DIVA.

I think the Prodyssey sounds superb, but my one seems to have a low-gain output compared to everything else I own.
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The backend of these synths are 'atoms' of low level dsp code that can be organized into synths. It's like building a hardware synth with components, but in software. It was thousands of hours of work to put that system together. To simply translate it into a completely different architecture would probably be more hours than it took to make originally.

There was talk of porting flexor to a intel system, but nothing has come of it after many years. I suspect nothing will as it would be a monumental task to do so. So much of the tough work was done in developing the scope SDK. Transfering that to cpu native would be like reinventing the wheel in order to shoot yourself in the foot.
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
They also do John Bowen Solaris. So get Solaris if you want the newest Creamware
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Btw a Noah Ex + ipad + lemur could be consider as some kind of poor's man Solaris
The Algos for the Creamware Noah has been optimized and the DAC is better than Pulsar.

I know the Solaris is semi-modular but the sound quality would be about the same i guess since they use the osc and filters from Minimax and prophet 5.
Old 16th November 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Solaris runs on the Noah? Cool...is the Solariso SCOPE plugin on par with the hardware?
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SWAN808 :

No, the Solaris plugin does not run on the Noah but Solaris and some Creamware device share the same dsp algo like Minimax , prophet 5 , pro one osc , filters model etc.
Of course Solaris has a better gui, and more sound shaping capabilities + a powerful semi modular architecture.
πŸ“ Reply