Quantcast
Drum Sequencing - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drum Sequencing
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Drum Sequencing

So I make a techno/house beat using a drum machine emulator/vst. Then I make the exact beat inside my DAW(cubase) using Kontakt. I use all the same samples and the same patterns yet the two beats sound different. Seems like the emulator beat sounds better. This effect is even more pronounce with actual drum machines.

Does anyone know why this happens?

I've struggled to make drum patterns inside Cubase, and now I'm wondering if I've been trying to re-invent the wheel. I've always wanted complete control and transparency so I can make it "my" way...but I'm staring to think I should just buy a drum machine and make life easier. I can always import these patterns and do more advanced mixing after. I also think it would make the creative beat making stage more intuitive.

My other question is this....if I do go this route...will exporting the individual tracks result in the same thing as in the DAW? Does the effect come from a single unit running multiple parts together? Again, I'm not even sure why this happens.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
With drum machines you can either sequence within the machine itself or use MIDI to sequence it within cubase. Once your pattern is done you can then track it to audio (use a separate audio track for kicks snare HH toms). Either mute the rest from your drum machine or if using MIDI solo the note # you want to record in cubase drum editor. Is that what you're looking for?

I find very little difference in sound once all said and done between my physical drum machines and the samples I use..
Sent from my PG06100
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headz51230 ➑️
With drum machines you can either sequence within the machine itself or use MIDI to sequence it within cubase. Once your pattern is done you can then track it to audio (use a separate audio track for kicks snare HH toms). Either mute the rest from your drum machine or if using MIDI solo the note # you want to record in cubase drum editor. Is that what you're looking for?

I find very little difference in sound once all said and done between my physical drum machines and the samples I use..
Sent from my PG06100
I guess the difference I'm talking about is between the drum machines and the daw itself...if you're using midi to trigger the drum machine, then the samples are still being played out of the drum machines engine...and I find this sounds different than if I sequence the same pattern in Cubase not using the drum machine....also, I'm not sure it's as pronounce if the drum machine tracks are recorded separately....meaning the more tracks it's playing, the more they effect each other is subtle ways.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
maybe it's the user interface? i find i make much better beats with a Korg Electribe than i do with a DAW. House and techno is drum machine music
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I find drum machines sequencers to have more swing than cubase, which is robotically perfect, but the sounds I think are the same. Check the velocity settings?

Sent from my PG06100
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Reynolds ➑️
maybe it's the user interface? i find i make much better beats with a Korg Electribe than i do with a DAW. House and techno is drum machine music
This is what I'm thinking too
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I was actually able to find some older post that speak on this... apparently what I'm taking about is referred to as midi compression.
πŸ“ Reply