The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Noisy Roland JX3p Chorus - Is this normal?
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Noisy Roland JX3p Chorus - Is this normal?

Hi

I just got a Roland JX3p in the mail and when I started testing it, I noticed it is quite noisy when the Chorus is On.
I get like a burst of noise that is being panned (despite it seems to be stronger in the right side, but it's possible to notice some motion for sure).

Is this normal?
When the Chorus is off, the unit isn't noisy at all...

Mine is a 110V version and I noticed that sometimes, it seems that the PG200 stops working properly...
Can this be just a problem with the external voltage converter, or with the power supply of the synth?

Since I got it today,thought it was better to ask to make sure it is working well enough...

All the best

Paulo
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
yes it's normal to have some noise. Luckily in most cases the JX-3P sounds better with chorus firmly OFF (not like a Juno that kinda needs it to beef up it's lack of a second proper OSC) and some proper programming to open up it's many strengths. 9/10 if I make a decent patch on mine (using a BCR2000 via organix mod) if I then put the chorus on it takes away much of the nuance and quality. Having said this it's a nice enough sounding chorus but many old chorus' on synths were noisy.

You may have more noise than usual - try recording a wav of it and attach it here - turn it on/off... then play a sound with it on/off can tell you if it's in line with mine then.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I will try to make a record of it.

But right now, what's scaring me is that I had the same problem with the programmer again...
It wasn't working properly but that also made the sound a bit weird, like it changed for no reason and glitchy too.
The only things that were working on the programmer were the switches...

I am not sure what can be the problem with this...
Can it be the programmer that has some problem?
And if that's the case, is it likely fixable (for a reasonable amount)?

By the way, what's the best way of putting sound clips here?
Using soundcloud?
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
no soundcloud sucks

you can upload right to a post here, MP3s display a player
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here they go.

On the Noisy Chorus file I show the Chorus On/Off.

On the other file I show the problem with the PG200, which isn't just the controller as the sound gets crazy... :S
All those sounds except one in the middle are from preset bank A.

Does this sound like it might have some bad problems? :S
Attached Files

JX3p - Noisy Chorus.m4a (498.8 KB, 2281 views)

JX3p.m4a (1.18 MB, 2049 views)

Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
no. that's not normal at all get it into a tech. I own a 3p and love the chorus, yours was barely listenable.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I got the same problem with the synth going wild again.

A simple way of solving it is to unplug the PG200.
Doing that, the synth starts working pretty well again.

So I think the problem is likely within the PG200...
The switches work well, but the knobs don't seem to do anything.

Can this be a complicated problem to solve?
Cause I only got the JX3p because it came with the programmer as I don't have too much space so it was only worth getting for the "hands-on" programability...

The demo is attached so you guys can listen a bit more to what happens.
I don't do anything with the programmer in this demo and I use the same two presets (String I and String II) during the demo.
Before I start playing with the programmer on, you can hear a pop when I connect it with the synth.

Any help you can give me will be more than welcomed...

All the best

Paulo
Attached Files

JX3p_Problems_2.m4a (1.15 MB, 1840 views)

Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
My Jx-3P's chorus isn't noisy, but my Juno-1's chorus is a little noisy.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I actually got a Roland JX8P today and could notice the same kind of noise on that one, but it wasn't as loud...
On the JX3P it makes the Chorus a bit useless since it's quite noisy when no note is being played... :S
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
It's not *totally* useless. Vangelis used chorus noise as an effect on "Suffocation".
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just got a JX3P with same exact problem as OP..actually i fear the noise is even louder

any ideas on possible fix??
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
I just got a JX3P with same exact problem as OP..actually i fear the noise is even louder

any ideas on possible fix??
I can't share a fix but I've owned three at the same time, they all are noisey, and I can tell you I stopped using the Chorus. I only used it when I really wanted that Roland Chorus sound but had it off for everything else. It's too noisey. I do the same thing to my Juno's.

I literally think Roland designed the Chorus fully aware of how noisey it is but giving the heavy chorus effect they were aiming for.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
..so you are saying the noise floor is normal? i doubt so because a lot of JX3p (and juno) YT demos don't have the noise that me and OP are experiencing.. ex: Roland JX-3P preset sounds walk-through - YouTube
Old 24th January 2013
First off the demos go through youtube's processing so there's a lot you hear and don't hear.

Second I doubt the youtube demo's have long moments of silence where you can hear the left right swooshing of the noise. The Juno's are more noisey than the JX3P and even the JX8P.

The amount of noise will vary between each. I don't know how much noise you are talking about though. Can you post. You can't really trust youtube video's to judge detailed sound. You don't know what all the circumstances where when recorded and like I said youtube processes audio.

I do know that sometimes certian chips go bad and can cause noise but like I said I don't know how much noise you are talking about. But in short the chorus is very noisey yes. Do a search on the threads and you'll see people describe the noise as a flowing ocean from left to right.

If you doubt me then let the other replies roll in.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i know roland chorus is infamously noisy but i'm 90% sure mine is unusually noisy, i've played previous JX3Ps, Juno 106s and have also owned JX10 for 8 years and have never heard such noise, it is really really loud (but yes it does that left right swoosh btw)

i'm hoping it's not the chip gone bad, if so i might consider returning it.. even though i did get a nice discount as the seller btw did disclose this as an issue, according to him it could be fixed by simply cleaning the chorus section inside
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
i know roland chorus is infamously noisy but i'm 90% sure mine is unusually noisy, i've played previous JX3Ps, Juno 106s and have also owned JX10 for 8 years and have never heard such noise, it is really really loud (but yes it does that left right swoosh btw)

i'm hoping it's not the chip gone bad, if so i might consider returning it.. even though i did get a nice discount as the seller btw did disclose this as an issue, according to him it could be fixed by simply cleaning the chorus section inside
Sorry, I thought you were asking if it was too noisey. It sounds like you are not asking that but asking what can be done.

All I can tell you is to first make sure it is abnormal by posting up so we can hear and also talking it to a tech who knows JX3p's. If the seller made you aware then it sounds like he already knew it was noisier than normal so sounds like it's repair time.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow, I've been having the same issue for a few weeks. It wasn't like that when I bought it earlier this year... but back then the volume knob already produced a noise when turning. Is that related?

I already was considering selling the JX3P - or to get the programmer for it - but now I really wonder should I sell it or get it to a tech + a programmer.... need a NLA1 but also want at least one vintage synth
Old 3rd December 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
noisy chorus sufferers, fear not. the solution is in this thread - https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...-repaired.html
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
There is a good thread about having a noisy Juno 60 chorus-- it might be relevant.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...sy+chorus+chip

IMO, excessive chorus noise is in no way normal. And it can be fixed.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks guys! the problem had gone away but it returned last week..

even stranger the keyboard is now transposed by default so i got to transpose it up on every reboot so scale is normal
Old 3rd December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paugui ➑️
So I think the problem is likely within the PG200...
The switches work well, but the knobs don't seem to do anything.
I had a similar problem before, with the switches working but not the knobs. I replaced an LM311 comparator in the PG200 and all was good. It could be something else, but working on the pg200 is easy.

There is some discussion of this on the appropriate yahoo group, "roland JX" or something like that, and links to pg200 schematics.
πŸ“ Reply