Quantcast
Getting GAS again lol - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Getting GAS again lol
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Getting GAS again lol

I keep reading about how beast the Minitaur is for bass duties.
I have the Slim Phatty already. Is the Minitaur really that much more beasty down low?
I see it doesn't have the overdrive feature like the SP does, I really love this feature for distortion. It causes great upper harmonics.

Should I pick up the Minitaur? I don't have a place to try before I buy so I'll have to order online.
Will I be disappointed? What's another analog synth in this price range that has godly bass?
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYPHY ➡️
I keep reading about how beast the Minitaur is for bass duties.
I have the Slim Phatty already. Is the Minitaur really that much more beasty down low?
I think it is, but opinions differ. There is several threads on the subject on here already. It's got some design differences from the LP and Voyagers that make it sound different.

Personally its my favorite synth right now with loads more capabilities than just a bass synth. I had an LP for a couple of years and eventually sold it. I think this sounds better than the LP, but that's just my opinion. I also much prefer the immediacy of the interface versus the LP, and the lack of patch memory is really a non-issue for me (just take a picture of the synth if you want to save a patch).

You can "save" a patch by using the the accompanying software. It also opens up some "hidden" capabilities in the "Under The Hood" section like MIDI LFO Sync and the new "Note Sync" feature which force the oscillators to start at the same point for each note-on, to produce a more consistent (and thus punchier) attack. All these "Under The Hood" features are also available by sending appropriate MIDI CC messages if you dont want to use the software.

Quote:
I see it doesn't have the overdrive feature like the SP does, I really love this feature for distortion. It causes great upper harmonics.
No but there is a way to get something close to it by driving the filter input via the headphone output. This video demonstrates at 5:55:

Quote:
Should I pick up the Minitaur? I don't have a place to try before I buy so I'll have to order online.
Will I be disappointed?
The only one that can answer that question is you. If you can't test one out locally, just order it from Sweetwater. They have a 30-day no questions asked return policy, so you can just send it back if you don't like it for a full refund.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think the MiniTaur is overpriced for what it does. It is a Moog so the sound will be great, but the features lacking. I think its pretty limited with MIDI, which may or may not matter to you.
I would keep your SP and spend on something else.
JMO
📝 Reply