Quantcast
basic question: synth audio connections - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
basic question: synth audio connections
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
basic question: synth audio connections

Please forgive the elementary question but I haven't been able to find what I need by search. I am getting back into this game after a several decade lay-off and am trying to sort out my audio connections.

I have a DSI Mopho X4 that I am wanting to route in series with a Moogerfooger 104M and then into Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 USB Audio Interface and then on to my Mac. For the time being I'm routing audio out to my computer speakers.

The Mopho X4 has unbalanced stereo outputs (L/R). The MF 104M has a single audio in and mix out. I am trying to reconcile the stereo (2) outputs to one input on the MF.

Some questions:

1. Is my Mopho -> MF -> Scarlett -> Mac the optimal pathway?
2. How do I drop the 2 out stereo to a mono in for the MF, and is this really what I want to do?
3. If not, what would be my alternative pathway? I'm strongly considering returning the audio interface and going the mixer route.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I would just use one of the outputs on the Mopho. In fact that is how I would record it even without the MoogerFooger. Most stereo outs on synths (depending on the preset of course) just use an effect of some sort to make a 'pseudo stereo'.
I prefer to use my DAW to make the stereo stuff happen.
Just plug it in and get to work. Stop worrying about the 'right' way
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Roger that. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to suffer some significant degradation to the signal.

As a more general question, what is the benefit of the stereo output if the same effect can be achieved in the DAW?
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBJJ โžก๏ธ
As a more general question, what is the benefit of the stereo output if the same effect can be achieved in the DAW?
live playing ?
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
if you would have a mixer, you could route the MF-104M as a send & return and use it on your Mopho while preserving stereo outputs
๐Ÿ“ Reply