Quantcast
What is it that defines analog? - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is it that defines analog?
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
  #121
ozy
Lives for gear
 
ozy's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
Synthesizers attract technologically interested and technologically literate people ; they also attract people more interested in textures, shades, colours of sound. Hence the disagreement brewing here.
absolutely correct.
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
  #122
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
technologically literate people
The ignorant stuff I've seen in some digital vs analog threads kind of refutes that; there's a giant blind spot in their literacy.

It wouldn't be as bad if it weren't for the fact that these folks are actually proud of it.
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
  #123
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante ➡️
Say, I got this Motif, but I would like saay a Jupiter 4rrr. It's got lots of analog sounds and acoustics guitars, and lots of other reallistic sounds on it, and no one can tell the difference in a dense mix anyway. It's just 'cause I'm an idiot, I know, but at least I can get a little more cred here on GS with an analog Roland Jupiter. Anyone want to trade? I throw in some loops too to sweeten the deal? They are fruity and tasty and sound like the best of live players.

No, you say? Tsssch, dammit. Back to digitalland, where binary unicorns jump over rainbows made of lucky charms. Ymmuy.
The thing that people overlook when trying to play a guitar on a keyboard or synthesizer is the small sounds such as the hand moving up and down the fret, the fact that picking upwards or downwards sounds totally different...all these small nuances that a sampled guitar just can't replicate. The way you kinetically play a guitar solo sounds much more free-flowing than if you were to play the notes on a keyboard and lay them out and move them around in software.
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
  #124
ozy
Lives for gear
 
ozy's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➡️
The ignorant stuff I've seen in some digital vs analog threads kind of refutes that; there's a giant blind spot in their literacy.
he also said that the other side is sophisticated, nuanced and poetic...

That also need some pink goggles, when compared to the GS mob when in Tahrir-Square mode.

so, let's allow some space for idealization on both sides...
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
  #125
BM0
Lives for gear
 
BM0's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➡️
The ignorant stuff I've seen in some digital vs analog threads kind of refutes that; there's a giant blind spot in their literacy.

It wouldn't be as bad if it weren't for the fact that these folks are actually proud of it.
What is it that defines analog?-knowing.jpg
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
  #126
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➡️
The ignorant stuff I've seen in some digital vs analog threads kind of refutes that; there's a giant blind spot in their literacy.

It wouldn't be as bad if it weren't for the fact that these folks are actually proud of it.
which are the ones that have the blind spot? the "i ve read that digital sounds perfect fraction" that seems to lack certain sensory abilities?
Actually its really a bit puzzeling that they act like beeing proud of this..
makes me think that the blind spot sits just between the ears...
Old 28th September 2012
  #127
Lives for gear
 
Grovestand's Avatar
It's funny, because of this discussion I actually used the FM mode on my NL3 last night and got some pretty good results. It was surprising how big the sound was. Juxtaposed very nicely with 2 detuned square waves from the Mopho, with no envelope or modulation.
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
  #128
Lives for gear
 
robot gigante's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainball ➡️
The thing that people overlook when trying to play a guitar on a keyboard or synthesizer is the small sounds such as the hand moving up and down the fret, the fact that picking upwards or downwards sounds totally different...all these small nuances that a sampled guitar just can't replicate. The way you kinetically play a guitar solo sounds much more free-flowing than if you were to play the notes on a keyboard and lay them out and move them around in software.
Yeah, it was just a joke. I love my guitars, wouldn't even consider trying to use a sampled guitar, ever. Schoeps SDC's in ORTF with a Holophone binaural mic as a room mic is what I like for acoustics, does it sound like a guitar in a room, obviously not, but amazing nonetheless. I really do have a Motif, but wouldn't trade it for a J4, they are useful for different things... if I wanted a J4, I'd just save up and buy one. Not a priority, I don't need it.

Contrary to how our trollish friend is twisting my observations on digital, I've spent a good amount of $$ on digital synths and equipment, obviously would not do that if they got in the way of a good production.
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
  #129
Lives for gear
 
grumphh's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante ➡️
Well, how can I disagree?

To clarify my arch-nemesis as a mixer over the years has been that wooly grruncchh or thhhhhhh in the mids/low mids typical of a lot of romplers, VA's, samplers, amp sims or whatnot. It just steps all over everything. We know from a technical standpoint this is caused by beating from aliasing tones folded back into the signal.

When the freedom to do so presents itself, if it's a basic sound my solution in some cases is to program pretty much the exact same sound on an analog synth and replace it with that. Problem solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante ➡️
Contrary to how our trollish friend is twisting my observations on digital
Twisting?

Sorry, but you quite clearly present the point that "a lot" of digital synths (and other devices) apparently "step all over" mixes due to aliasing, resulting in what you refer to as a "wooly grunch" (add consonants ad lib).

Your solution is apparently to remove the digital offenders and use analogue instead.

Without any other statements from you on digital, it sems as if you have an aversion against digital synths.

That is all fine and dandy, personal preference and so on - but...


Thousands of professionally mixed and released albums from the past 30 years just prove you wrong.
Other people seem to have no problems integrating digital synths/devices into their mixes.

That means that the reasons you give for disliking digital most certainly are not facts but, as stated above, just your personal views on the matter.

So seeing that your views do conflict with the reality of a huge number of well produced albums containing digital synths existing, i can only conclude that your views are not worth all that much.
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #130
Lives for gear
 
robot gigante's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Either your reading comprehension and critical faculties are diminished, or you are trolling, grumphh. If the latter, what point does it serve?

Replacing a digital synth with an analog is just one solution in a massive bag of tricks. It was only brought up as an illustration to your own argument (which apparently you have 0 real-world experience with, making it conjecture) that it is the wrong part or the wrong sound that is the problem. Indeed, the wrong sound, replaced. Is it always the wrong sound? LOL, no! Aliasing is awesome in the right context, I think I might have mentioned that. Why else would I like my DSS-1 so much.

There is only one measure of success in music that can be gauged concretely: public appeal. In other words, the market. Like I said, YOU can think what you want- that has no impact on album sales or making clients happy- and believe me, they have ears.

If the grapes of making a living in the biz look a little sour from where you are, rest assured, amateur- they aren't!
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #131
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante ➡️
Yeah, it was just a joke. I love my guitars, wouldn't even consider trying to use a sampled guitar, ever. Schoeps SDC's in ORTF with a Holophone binaural mic as a room mic is what I like for acoustics, does it sound like a guitar in a room, obviously not, but amazing nonetheless. I really do have a Motif, but wouldn't trade it for a J4, they are useful for different things... if I wanted a J4, I'd just save up and buy one. Not a priority, I don't need it.

Contrary to how our trollish friend is twisting my observations on digital, I've spent a good amount of $$ on digital synths and equipment, obviously would not do that if they got in the way of a good production.
Yeah, it's always the same. People skim over the point you make, think they understand it and generalize you and proceed to argue based on those generalizations. ("He says analog is better than digital, therefore he must only use analog and think digital is completely useless and thinks x, y, z...") What is it called, strawman fallacy or something? Funny how the people guilty of such generalizations often require every tiny moot point explained to them else they don't understand.
Old 5th October 2012 | Show parent
  #132
Gear Addict
 
modularjack's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb ➡️
Oh puh-leeeeeze ...


Not mother nature again.
Like it or not, it's true. And it will continue being repeated as long as people continue asking the same, stupid question they have been asking since the 90s. Duh, what's better digital or analog? Neither. They're different.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 160 views: 37034
Avatar for holyjaguar85
holyjaguar85 23rd May 2017
replies: 140 views: 29486
Avatar for DiggingForRoots
DiggingForRoots 16th June 2017
replies: 3 views: 2794
Avatar for drakem
drakem 29th April 2010
replies: 309 views: 24540
Avatar for momomel
momomel 3 hours ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump