Microkorg xl+ vs novation mininova - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Microkorg xl+ vs novation mininova
Old 21st October 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfabila ➡️
Hey dude in the end I went with the full sized korg r3 but ended up selling it.

If I were u I would think about the Roland jdxi.
It is a great mix of all the mini sized keyboards imo.
It's has its own patches that u can jump right into but it also has proper analogue wav forms with a fair amount of control for experimentation

THANKS. Yeah, I saw the Roland JD-Xi... yet another option. yay, lol. It looks great, I don't know how much i'd use all the drum machine stuff, however, you say it's full analog?, so I could properly minic this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpt585iJjCk

i need that bass, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilita ➡️
No, it would be between the Mininova and the OG MicroKorg just because of the sound.

I don't find the MKXL menus tough though. and MK has good bass, not quite a Moog but it's fine.

I guess the tutorials would work so long as the MiniNova had all the right parameters.
Thanks! I am hoping both synths have all of those parameters, just have to program them differently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andivax ➡️
New Microkorg XL has a different engine then old and good Microkorg which is a little clone of MS2000.
If you are an electronic guy - get the Novation.
If you need versatile instrument - try XL.
I'll check out that ms2000...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
Microkorg XL was way better than the original IMO, more voices and more mod options too. Oh and decent samples, the waves on offer give it a lot more power. Looks a hell if a lot better too, retro e.p style. Each to their own though that's the beauty.
what about the lack of the arp buttons, did you find that a minus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilita ➡️
Yes.

You can also look at the MS2000 which has full keys and the same engine as the original MicroKorg and has a knob or a button for almost anything. PLus two can be polychained for double the polyphony.

I'll check out that ms2000, thanks for the input!

IN the end, i'll probably be happy w/ any of them, i can use this for my church, we have a band set up, contemporary style music, so i've been using synth sounds for pads to compliment the acoustic and electric guitars, etc, but i would like to be able to give certain sound more punch or definition, etc. Plus, i've always been a fan of that Snarky Puppy video I posted above, and I'd like to be able to get those fat synth sounds for solo leads, plus the fat bass sounds would just be fun...
Old 21st October 2015
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
@ funkpod , not sure I know what you mean mate, there's an arp on off switch on the front label? It's got it's own dedicated section on the dial and then all the detailed gubbins in global too.

Oh mate the ms2k is a wicked synth, if you've never played one I suggest you do. 3track sequencer as well as lots if synth power, amazing for it's age and it still stands with modern gear in my opinion.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
@ funkpod , not sure I know what you mean mate, there's an arp on off switch on the front label? It's got it's own dedicated section on the dial and then all the detailed gubbins in global too.

Oh mate the ms2k is a wicked synth, if you've never played one I suggest you do. 3track sequencer as well as lots if synth power, amazing for it's age and it still stands with modern gear in my opinion.
sorry, meant that on the front panel, there are no 8 buttons for the arp function, you have to use the lcd panel?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
It's hard for me to say. I never owned a Lead 3. Playing it in the shop 2 years ago didn't create the same excitement and feeling of immediacy as the Lead A1. But I was also a somewhat different person 2 years ago...as anybody should be. If you can find a NL4 and NLA1 to test in person, that's the best option.

Two simple factual/personal observations on NL3 vs NLA1:

1) For me, having a built-in FX section makes the synth seem more fun and ready-for-projects. Tweaking the streamlined FX in real-time is inspiring. I can always drop them before recording and replace with plugin-ins; but the on-board FX are so fast when prototyping.

2) I found the NL3 LED-ringed encoders to be visually distracting. They also made the control panel a little more "open" - more room between controls - which I've discovered is not my preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n13L5 ➡️
I got a Nord Lead 3, would you consider this equal to the A1 (aside from maybe worse default sounds on the 3, but more options)?
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite5ths ➡️
It's hard for me to say. I never owned a Lead 3. Playing it in the shop 2 years ago didn't create the same excitement and feeling of immediacy as the Lead A1. But I was also a somewhat different person 2 years ago...as anybody should be. If you can find a NL4 and NLA1 to test in person, that's the best option.

Two simple factual/personal observations on NL3 vs NLA1:

1) For me, having a built-in FX section makes the synth seem more fun and ready-for-projects. Tweaking the streamlined FX in real-time is inspiring. I can always drop them before recording and replace with plugin-ins; but the on-board FX are so fast when prototyping.

2) I found the NL3 LED-ringed encoders to be visually distracting. They also made the control panel a little more "open" - more room between controls - which I've discovered is not my preference.
Ah yes, we are in different settings and maybe different preferences...

I wouldn't use the onboard FX anyway as I believe my Eventide FX are better than any built-in add-on FX, and I already tweaked a bunch of things the way I like.

Often enough, I play the NL3 with the effects return muted, cause I do love the dry sound on the really good patches (still looking for some good 3rd party patches to replace my less favorite factory sounds, of which there are plenty ^^

And I LOVE the LED ringed pots, I feel I can see more immediately where everything is, not to mention, upon selection of different patches, the endless pots all snap to the correct positions!

Some people say the NL3 was easily the most expensive to build Nord Lead, and I rather agree with their choices of where they sank the money, but that obviously doesn't necessarily make it the best one. There could be other changes in later models that surpass the convenience of what they did here.

I don't know how pot positions are handled upon patch change on other North Leads, but I suppose, in order to avoid jumps, the pots only start altering values once you pass the current setting from the patch?

Or do they actually have motorized pots?
Old 21st October 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Here in a local store the seller he told me that he has a mininova six months now sitting in the shop window, and in the meantime he sold 4 Microkorgs! Ok, I have a question here. Why the 14 year old Microkorg has so great impact among musicians? even though there are so many alternatives available out there. Not to mention that the mininova has 18 notes polyphony, patch storage capabilities, usb out, and many other contemporary cool features…

Sometimes I am wondering if the brand name is eventually the only thing that matters...
Old 21st October 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
X2 for the Ultranova. If you can find one second hand or "B stock" get that. It won't be much more than the mininova and really is a phenomenal synthesizer for the $.

As for build quality, I had an original MK for 10+ years. It never let me down. Haven't owned a mininova but my buddy who gigs with one often has had to replace several keys in the first year of ownership. Good sound though.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkpod ➡️
THANKS. Yeah, I saw the Roland JD-Xi... yet another option. yay, lol. It looks great, I don't know how much i'd use all the drum machine stuff, however, you say it's full analog?, so I could properly minic this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpt585iJjCk

i need that bass, haha.

Thanks! I am hoping both synths have all of those parameters, just have to program them differently...

I'll check out that ms2000...

what about the lack of the arp buttons, did you find that a minus?

I'll check out that ms2000, thanks for the input!

IN the end, i'll probably be happy w/ any of them, i can use this for my church, we have a band set up, contemporary style music, so i've been using synth sounds for pads to compliment the acoustic and electric guitars, etc, but i would like to be able to give certain sound more punch or definition, etc. Plus, i've always been a fan of that Snarky Puppy video I posted above, and I'd like to be able to get those fat synth sounds for solo leads, plus the fat bass sounds would just be fun...
Watch this review dude

https://youtu.be/kmxlbXqI6Zg

Everything I was talking about is pretty much covered in this video.

Don't get me wrong, the Microkorg is awesome but I think that once you get into the synth world you will quickly find that you want something with a bit more.

Also the fact that the jdxi is an analogue /digital cross over means that you will get a way fatter /warmer signal than any of the other mini keyboards

If you can, go to a music shop and try all your options because there's only so much you can get out of forums and YouTube

Good luck
Old 22nd October 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfabila ➡️
Watch this review dude

https://youtu.be/kmxlbXqI6Zg

Everything I was talking about is pretty much covered in this video.

Don't get me wrong, the Microkorg is awesome but I think that once you get into the synth world you will quickly find that you want something with a bit more.

Also the fact that the jdxi is an analogue /digital cross over means that you will get a way fatter /warmer signal than any of the other mini keyboards

If you can, go to a music shop and try all your options because there's only so much you can get out of forums and YouTube

Good luck

Now THAT is a review. And that guy is hilarious, Lol. I wanna go to that music shop. Anyways... Yeah. Lots to ponder. I like that there is like a nice Rhodes sound on that Roland jdxi. Does the microkorg have those types of sounds?
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
sorry, meant that on the front panel, there are no 8 buttons for the arp function, you have to use the lcd panel?
Ah, you mean for the steps? No problem just click global arp and then it's an on/off function per step with the edit knob
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotsVsChildren ➡️
X2 for the Ultranova. If you can find one second hand or "B stock" get that. It won't be much more than the mininova and really is a phenomenal synthesizer for the $.

As for build quality, I had an original MK for 10+ years. It never let me down. Haven't owned a mininova but my buddy who gigs with one often has had to replace several keys in the first year of ownership. Good sound though.
Yeah I bought my XL in 08 when they came out and that's been to some pretty dirty places and is still flawless today, it's seen an awful lot of hours use as well and never complained once. Brill little box really.

My k station I had way back in 02/03 was always a bit flaky. Sounded ok but was so easy to let go, partly because of it's looks but also the way it felt in use. I've never been back to novation since, shame but there you go.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotsVsChildren ➡️

Honestly the UltraNova has to be the best bang for buck somewhat new digital synth out there right now...if only it was multitrimbral and you could split patches across the keyboard...having owned mine about 9 months that is the only wishlist item I can imagine. However given my work flow it is hardly an issue.

I always recommend it as a first hardware synth as it covers bread and butter digital territory so well, can be loaded as vst in your daw, has itd own fx, etc etc etc etc etc!
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Now THAT is a review. And that guy is hilarious, Lol. I wanna go to that music shop. Anyways... Yeah. Lots to ponder. I like that there is like a nice Rhodes sound on that Roland jdxi. Does the microkorg have those types of sounds?
If you decide to shoot for the microkorg I'd recommend the XL version as minimum mate, more voices, more power, very reasonable price nowadays and has great supporting PCM samples for things like the M1 organ, Rhodes piano etc as well as the VA synthesis. For a small box it's well capable.
Old 22nd October 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
To be fair here, the Korg Microkorg XL has better sounds, warmer and offers more classic vintage style sounds…but on the other hand the Mininova has more modern features. Tough decision anyway, but an another important factor is that the Microkorg has better value in the second hand market, so you can use it and after some years sell it without to lose your money….

Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ah, you mean for the steps? No problem just click global arp and then it's an on/off function per step with the edit knob

Yes, per steps. I hear (not that I know, i've never used an arpegiator), but it's more of a pain to do live, as you have to use the lcd rather than step buttons.

But, that being said, i have never used an Arpegiator, so it'll all be new.

Can i click out the tempo?

Quote:
Yeah I bought my XL in 08 when they came out and that's been to some pretty dirty places and is still flawless today, it's seen an awful lot of hours use as well and never complained once. Brill little box really.

My k station I had way back in 02/03 was always a bit flaky. Sounded ok but was so easy to let go, partly because of it's looks but also the way it felt in use. I've never been back to novation since, shame but there you go.
Hmm... i have heard things not good for the novation company regarding customer service, or quality... but usually the good remarks aren't heard as loudly?

Quote:
If you decide to shoot for the microkorg I'd recommend the XL version as minimum mate, more voices, more power, very reasonable price nowadays and has great supporting PCM samples for things like the M1 organ, Rhodes piano etc as well as the VA synthesis. For a small box it's well capable.

VA synthesis, virtual analog?

I love the rhodes capability, and that i can tweak the sound of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonis ➡️
To be fair here, the Korg Microkorg XL has better sounds, warmer and offers more classic vintage style sounds…but on the other hand the Mininova has more modern features. Tough decision anyway, but an another important factor is that the Microkorg has better value in the second hand market, so you can use it and after some years sell it without to lose your money….

good point, but i probably would never resell it.

SIGH.

SO, basically, put the names of the three into a hat, and then draw one out and that'll be my keyboard!!!

what's good is that i don't hear any people saying "i hate my mininova or i hate my microkorg."
Old 22nd October 2015
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Editing the arp live on the XL is as simple as pressing buttons mate, it's a simple turn left or turn right on a dial for step on or off. You have access to all 8 steps at once as well.

For little powerhouse VA (yes virtual analogue) synths you won't go wrong with any of the above, and you won't hear owners complain because they are fantastic boxes, I've got gear that's worth twenty times more but I still play my micro XL, a lot. It'll put pain to a lot of gear with it's capabilities and I don't mind saying it, it can go to some very strange places if you want to as well as make all the lovely simplistic sounds and really interesting bass, pads etc.

I dont know what you mean by click out the tempo though, if you mean send the tempo then yes you can. Oh and you can also send the arpeggio to any other gear via midi too which is nice.

I'm sure you'll be happy whichever you choose and they are good value right now.
Old 23rd October 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Original MicroKorg doesn't - perhaps it could be faked with DWGS - however I think the MK XL+ does.

The JDXi is great though.

For just EP sounds, I really like what's been posted of the Yamaha Reface CP:

https://gearspace.com/board/11421034-post4082.html

Thinking of getting one just for that. Nice Rhodes, Wurli, more, all with effects.
Old 23rd October 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Editing the arp live on the XL is as simple as pressing buttons mate, it's a simple turn left or turn right on a dial for step on or off. You have access to all 8 steps at once as well.

For little powerhouse VA (yes virtual analogue) synths you won't go wrong with any of the above, and you won't hear owners complain because they are fantastic boxes, I've got gear that's worth twenty times more but I still play my micro XL, a lot. It'll put pain to a lot of gear with it's capabilities and I don't mind saying it, it can go to some very strange places if you want to as well as make all the lovely simplistic sounds and really interesting bass, pads etc.

I dont know what you mean by click out the tempo though, if you mean send the tempo then yes you can. Oh and you can also send the arpeggio to any other gear via midi too which is nice.

I'm sure you'll be happy whichever you choose and they are good value right now.
Thanks, I'm leaning towards the XL right now, due to the 8 note polyphony. 4 notes, on the original, while a good exercise in chord voicings, seems limited. But... I could live with it, I guess.

And they are battery powered! Cool feature!

Would I really use that, though? I would still need to plug in the amp... But the Mininova has USB powered ability, so I can probably use my phone charger battery.

I like the mininova cuz you can edit sounds through your computer and USB. Can the Microkorg/XL do that?

How many slots are free?
Old 24th October 2015
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Yeah the XL has a great editor and librarian

Yes it can run on batteries if you want it to but they are mains powered too, I couldn't say if somebody would use it with batteries but I suppose with headphones on a long trip I could see it being more than useful to lose yourself for a few hours programming Tbh I've never even thought about it , I've taken the plug everywhere I've gone with it
Old 20th November 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
OK! Took a break from the research, and actually played a Microkorg! Turns out my neighbor has one! Lol. His isn't in the best shape, though, so want sure if I didn't know if I was doing something wrong or something wasnt working right. Anyways, I also felt crazy overwhelmed, too.

I want to check it out in a store.

I've been reading up on the roland jd-xi, too. That lil guy seems like it might have everything I'm looking for...

I still an attracted by all of the knobs and visual layout of full analog keyboards, like the Microbrute, cuz that's kinda like a Moog. (Right?)

So.. We'll see.
Old 1st December 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yeah the XL has a great editor and librarian

Yes it can run on batteries if you want it to but they are mains powered too, I couldn't say if somebody would use it with batteries but I suppose with headphones on a long trip I could see it being more than useful to lose yourself for a few hours programming Tbh I've never even thought about it , I've taken the plug everywhere I've gone with it

OK, so I played with the jd-xi and Microkorg in the store. As well as a Dave Smith instruments Mopho Keyboard.

First off, I didn't know what I was doing. All those knobs and buttons was overwhelming.

Honestly... The jd-xi, while I liked how there were more knobs to tweak in real-time performance, ii want that impressed with the sounds. The drums sounded great, but I thought the Microkorg's sounds were much fuller. Although I think the Microkorg's was more difficult to edit. I actually had fun playing the Mopho Keyboard, everything was laid out very nicely. I just need to decide if I want monophonic. But the fullness of that analog...

What do you guys think? Am I wrong? Are the sounds really better on the Microkorg? Makes me want to play with the Mininova to compare now. Does the Mininova have problems with the pitch wheel? I've read that...
Old 8th December 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I am interested in the Vocoder function of the MicroKorg, etc. How do you all think the Roland JD-Xi compares to the MicroKorg and MiniNova?
Old 8th December 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1b ➡️
I am interested in the Vocoder function of the MicroKorg, etc. How do you all think the Roland JD-Xi compares to the MicroKorg and MiniNova?
I played with the vocoder, but don't know enough about it to judge.
Old 7th February 2021
bit late to the party, but having used both, what I can tell you about the differences are this:

MicroKorg XL has way more output headroom than the Mininova - I could push the distortion and gain on the XL a lot further than I can on the Mininova, and coax some seriously gritty sounds out of it that the Mininova would start unpleasantly clipping, trying to match

Mininova has 10 more voices of polyphony than the XL, which makes it waaaaay more useful for big pads

They're both a bit of a pain to program, but both also have really excellent VST editor/librarian programs you can get to make deep sound designing easier

The Mininova is capable of doing 3 osc supersaw/supersquare/supersine/superwavetable type sounds via multiplying detuning waves right on each osc... without impacting polyphony excessively. The MKXL, if you add more unison voices to achieve big supersaw type sounds, your polyphony drops f a s t

The MKXL has slightly better controls when it comes to modulating individual parts of FX, so you can create slightly more complex sounds (in certain ways) than the Mininova

The Unison Spread on the MKXL also has the added effect of widening the stereo field, so sounds feel *h u g e* when you go all trancey or whatever. To achieve the same on the Nova, you need to apply Chorus (or modulate the panning)

Personally, I like the Mininova the best, because its ancestor the SuperNova featured in many of my fave songs from the early 2000s, and because the extra polyphony is a must for the music I write

But the MicroKorg XL has a fat sound that faaar exceeds expectations.

You can hear both in action here

📝 Reply