Quantcast
New Xfer Plugin OTT (Upwards/Downwards Multiband). How does it work? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Xfer Plugin OTT (Upwards/Downwards Multiband). How does it work?
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
New Xfer Plugin OTT (Upwards/Downwards Multiband). How does it work?

Steve Duda dropped a really impressive plugin today for free on the Xfer records site and I was wondering if anyone here could share their insight on how this thing actually works. (http://xferrecords.com/freeware/)

Xfer describes it as a "a re-creation of a popular aggressive multiband upwards / downwards compressor setting used by many dubstep and electro producers"

After slapping this thing on a couple synth loops, I was pretty floored. It absolutely nails the very aggressive, over-compressed electro sound you hear on a lot of records like Wolfgang Gartner, etc. As great as it is to have this in a plugin, I'd like to actually understand what it's doing!

I've certainly used multiband compression before, and I understand both upwards and downwards compression. What I'm a little lost on is the setting that this processor emulates - can anyone explain the idea behind multiband upwards/downwards compression and what parts of the signal are being effected in which way? Thanks very much!

Last edited by Electro212; 11th September 2012 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: Added download link
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
OTT - Over The Top is a preset for Ableton Live's multiband.

Get the trial of Live and play with the sliders I guess?
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer โžก๏ธ
OTT - Over The Top is a preset for Ableton Live's multiband.

Get the trial of Live and play with the sliders I guess?
I use Live, just always used a 3rd party multiband Sometimes the answer is right in front of you. Thanks!
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
No idea if this one is actually the same but the name seems apt. Thanksfor reminding me by the way - I should check out some of mr. Duda's work.
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer โžก๏ธ
No idea if this one is actually the same but the name seems apt. Thanksfor reminding me by the way - I should check out some of mr. Duda's work.
Just slapping it on the same loops, the sound is quite similar. Extremely aggressive compression that really gets that transient snapping out of a synth or lead. What's cool about using the ableton multiband is that you can actually adjust the bands, etc.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…