Normalizing Sample Library - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Normalizing Sample Library
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Normalizing Sample Library

Hi,

I have a large sample library consisting of drums ,bass, fx, vocals and atmos etc.. most samples are of different volume and are of mixed 16bit and 24bit.

I would like to know would it be wise to normalize all the samples, if so what would be the optimum normalized volume be?...

Many Thanks,

Noodlez.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
no, it would be pointless. anything that's normalized will ultimately have to be turned down in your mixer as soon as it's being used within the context of a mix, or it will clip your master bus, and even more so if everything else in the mix is also normalized.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
leave it as it is, it will allow the (crappy) Kontakt room to breathe...and your DAW bus as well.

ive tried all combinations, working on a sound lib, and it sounds best in 24bit, with good chunk of headroom left.
Old 12th September 2012
Deleted User
Even if you did normalize it, the sounds would not play back at the same volume. This is why mastering engineers don't using normalization. Sample makers already normalized the samples anyway.

Is it wrong to normalize sounds that are too quiet? No, it won't wreck the sound IMO.
Old 12th September 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Actually I dont agree with any of the posts here. I find Normalising samples just makes my life easier when producing. I suppose it's preference. Personally I Normalise most of my samples.

Just depends on how you work.
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Wildfunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 ➡️
Actually I dont agree with any of the posts here. I find Normalising samples just makes my life easier when producing.
+1

Most modern samplers have an "auto-normalize"-option too.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…