Design Tip - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Design Tip
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Design Tip

hi there,
this is a old interview (2009) with infected mushroom.
Infected Mushroom Sound Alchemy - Audiofanzine

They explain a little tip how get this kind of sound :(u can listen in url)

AF: At 1:00 you have some effect on the voice. How do you make this kind of sound on the voice?

[Sa'eed Vocals]

Eisen: Basically, we cut every syllable of the word. Let’s say “I feel ashamed”, we cut the “I” and then in the word “feel” we just cut the “f”, the “ee”, and then the “l”. For example, only the “ee” of the “feel” we trigger that one. A really small trigger until we get the pitch, the note that we want.

AF: Yes. Because when you do a loop on it makes special harmonics.
[Editor’s Note : the sound is tuned depending on the length of the loop : frequency (in Hz) = 1 / period of the loop (in seconds) – example : To reach a 440 Hz “A” , your loop has to be a multiple of 2.2727 milliseconds]

Eisen: Yeah. When it’s really short you get these special harmonics. So you need to know the length of the loop that you are doing until you get the right pitch. Basically we do this on every syllable. On “ashamed” there are a lot of them. Usually, on the “s”, the “t” and the “d”, the beginnings of words, the consonants, we keep, we don’t touch them, and only harmonics sound we trigger. It takes a lot of time.

My doubt is, how to apply this techniq? I try but unsucessfull.
If someone can explain correcly.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondeath ➡️
My doubt is, how to apply this techniq? I try but unsucessfull. If someone can explain correcly.
I'll give it a shot:

In a DAW such as Ableton or Protools, let's say you already have the un-edited spoken word vocoder part as audio. In grid mode, set your resolution at 1/32 to create the smallest blocks possible. You could then zoom into the waveform and create blank spaces after each syllable in the audio along the grid. You would then take the multiple audio snippets of the each vowel and copy/past them consecutively along the grid (as in right next to one another) to keep the timing consistent or as desired to your tempo. This would make it sound like each vowel is being stretched as it repeats. This may take some trial and error along the way finding the right snippets of audio, editing accordingly and "sculpting" the audio as desired. A pitch shifting program such as Autotune would allow you to bend notes and tune them accordingly. A distortion plug in like Ohlmicide can give you added harmonics. Also Experimenting with iZotope Stutter Edit may give you some interesting similar effects. There is no easy way to do this. Like it says in the interview, it can take a lot of time. Hope this helps!!!
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott ➡️
I'll give it a shot:

In a DAW such as Ableton or Protools, let's say you already have the un-edited spoken word vocoder part as audio. In grid mode, set your resolution at 1/32 to create the smallest blocks possible. You could then zoom into the waveform and create blank spaces after each syllable in the audio along the grid. You would then take the multiple audio snippets of the each vowel and copy/past them consecutively along the grid (as in right next to one another) to keep the timing consistent or as desired to your tempo. This would make it sound like each vowel is being stretched as it repeats. This may take some trial and error along the way finding the right snippets of audio, editing accordingly and "sculpting" the audio as desired. A pitch shifting program such as Autotune would allow you to bend notes and tune them accordingly. A distortion plug in like Ohlmicide can give you added harmonics. Also Experimenting with iZotope Stutter Edit may give you some interesting similar effects. There is no easy way to do this. Like it says in the interview, it can take a lot of time. Hope this helps!!!
Thanks for the tips Popbott. I use ableton. The part I'm having difficulty,is to apply the pitch shifting. For exemple, i have a quarter note loop (120bpm).
So, the length of loop is 500ms.

"frequency (in Hz) = 1 / period of the loop (in seconds) – example : To reach a 440 Hz “A” , your loop has to be a multiple of 2.2727 milliseconds]"

Now, to use pitch shift, i only go to frequency multiple of 2hz?(1/0,5=2hz)
Thats the part that i dont understand.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Popbott do you know how apply?
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i dont think they're physically pitch shifting it. you just stick the vowels in your sampler and loop them. the length of your loop will determine the pitch of it, depending upon how many cycles of the waveform are in each loop. if you use less waveform cycles in the loop, it'll become higher pitched. just try looping a tiny segment of one of your vowel sounds. as you alter the length of the loop segment, the pitch will vary.
📝 Reply