Quantcast
Anybody have analog white noise samples? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anybody have analog white noise samples?
Old 11th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Anybody have analog white noise samples?

I want some analog white noise, digital is too harsh..wondering if anybody has some .wav's laying around they could possibly share.
Old 12th September 2012

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Here's some from two sources.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Noise.zip (3.70 MB, 2546 views) File Type: zip SH101.zip (5.06 MB, 1872 views)
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxccc ➑️
I want some analog white noise, digital is too harsh..wondering if anybody has some .wav's laying around they could possibly share.
SSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Enjoy.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice! Thanks
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechno ➑️
sSHhHHHhHHHhHHHhHHHhHHHhHHhH
Enjoy.
Now it's sidechained to the kick. Profit.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Analog wav files FTW!
Old 12th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thank you for sharing Don!
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For the finest in premium white noise, connoisseurs choose:

RANDOM.ORG - Audio Noise Generator

Up to 16 44.1; encryption-grade randomness.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainchild ➑️

This is actually kind of cool, but it's not analog! lol
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
You will have to play the analog noise from an analog recording, if you really want analog. A wav file is not analog. In case you didn't know... Find a test Lp or a test tape.
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I want some analog white noise, digital is too harsh..
Choose pink instead of white.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This is actually kind of cool, but it's not analog! lol
The original entropy is 100% analog (environmental static), but it's then digitally optimized for maximum whiteness. The question of whether the output is "analog" or "digital" is thus a little complicated, but there's no question that the end result is genuinely random.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use a behringer mixer!
Old 12th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson ➑️
You will have to play the analog noise from an analog recording, if you really want analog. A wav file is not analog. In case you didn't know... Find a test Lp or a test tape.
So white noise generated from an analog synth isn't analog? I mean is it colored or effected by the machine a little?

Quote:
The original entropy is 100% analog (environmental static), but it's then digitally optimized for maximum whiteness. The question of whether the output is "analog" or "digital" is thus a little complicated, but there's no question that the end result is genuinely random.
What I mean was it wasn't generated from an analog synth, but yeah I don't know much about noise really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel ➑️
Now it's sidechained to the kick. Profit.
secret to life...

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
So white noise generated from an analog synth isn't analog? I mean is it colored or effected by the machine a little?
White noise generated from an analog synth IS analog, since it is in 90% generated from a reverse biased transistor, followed by op amp for the amplification purpose.

Just some analog synths (Korg Monopoly Rev2, Prophet 5) use digital noise generator from a chip. And that sounds like a total piece of crap.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Well yeah, because it's a pseudorandom generator with a period that's waaaayyyyy too short. If you could adjust the clock rate on that with a knob it'd at least be somewhat cool - C64-like noise effects.

Also, oscillator sync with short-period pseudorandom noise is pretty cool; so cool that it's its own oscillator model in the Nord Modular classic (Formant osc).

Quote:
What I mean was it wasn't generated from an analog synth, but yeah I don't know much about noise really.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_noise - start reading. It'd be interesting to see some spectograms of noise of various analogs and VAs.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
can't you just put the radio on a station that doesn't come in...
or is that not the right color noise...?
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers ➑️
can't you just put the radio on a station that doesn't come in...
or is that not the right color noise...?
No. That would be band limited noise.

In the case of AM radio 5kHz* frequency width.
In the case of FM radio 15kHz frequency width.

*roughly & depending which filter is used in the IF stage of a radio receiver
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The original entropy is 100% analog (environmental static), but it's then digitally optimized for maximum whiteness.
"Whitness" of stohastic process (a class of these actually) is description of it's autocorrelation. When power spectral density of some random process is flat across whole spectrum (ie "white"), it's autocorrelation is dirac function centered at 0. In english: when you look random process at times T1 and T2 you get two completely uncorerelated values (random variables -> samples of random process at some point in time) except when T1 = T2. So whiteness is sort of metric of randomness on time scale (on oposite side: one example of random process is sine function whose initial phase is random variable; this is random process, but for your ears it's perfectly normal sine wave).

Now, "whiteness" is not only metric of random process. When you look random process at some point in time you look at random variable that has some probabilistic distribution of values. In english: there is additional function that describe possibilities of amplitudes of random process. In electronics usual approximation of noise is White Gaussian Noise, where amplitides folow that bell-like gaussian distribution centered at zero -> lower amplitudes are much more probable that high amplitudes and (in theory) extremely high amplitudes ar possible but very unprobable. On contrary, typical pseudo random generator spits out noise that has uniform distribution -> any amplitude between some Min and Max values is equally probable. Well, this does make a difference and it makes one hell of a difference if that noise (particularly when mixed with oscilator) hits any nonlinearity (as in "any", like swept VCF that's very linear otherwise).

Now, theory for theory, but there are some more things about (typical) noise source in analog synths, so even very good white gaussian noise that is DSP generated is not exactly like noise source in analog synth.
Old 13th September 2012
Bio
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well yeah, because it's a pseudorandom generator with a period that's waaaayyyyy too short. If you could adjust the clock rate on that with a knob it'd at least be somewhat cool - C64-like noise effects.

Also, oscillator sync with short-period pseudorandom noise is pretty cool; so cool that it's its own oscillator model in the Nord Modular classic (Formant osc).
+1
Digital noise is sooo cool !!
Wiard Noisering and Plan B model 24 allow very interresting textures with their digital noise generator.

It's easier to fake analogue noise with digital than the inverse.

Also imo pseudo random is often much more interresting than totally random, depend of the context of course but it's not know enough.

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bio ➑️
Also imo pseudo random is often much more interresting than totally random
More interesting in which way?
Old 13th September 2012
Bio
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
More musical.

It can make some motifs that change. Definitely more interresting than a random pitch for ex.

I think Rob Hordijk and Ian Fritz have interresting concepts with chaos theory (witch lead to pseudo random)

Better to try

That's the principle of the Buchla 266, the most advanced and useful random generator for a long time.

It use a digital noise to modulate a triangle and the S/H is sampling the noisy triangle.
For me it was a revelation against classic random.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
More interesting in which way?
Check the S&H waveform of your Jupiter 8.

And yeah, Hordijk's Rungler is a thing of beauty, especially when combined with the Node Processor.
Old 13th September 2012

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Not sure what we are talking about.

The only difference between pseudo random and random noise generator is that the former can be repeated anytime (if the random seed is known), while the later happens only once and can not be recreated as identical copy (since it's governed by quantum effects).

But acoustically... they sound exactly the same.

Unless you talk short-period digital noise generators as used in old synth chips. Yes, these can produce exotic results...
Old 13th September 2012
Bio
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The only difference between pseudo random and random noise generator is that the former can be repeated anytime (if the random seed is known), while the later happens only once and can not be recreated as identical copy (since it's governed by quantum effects).
In my pseudo-random generators you can't recreate an identical copy, they are random. Random motif but still random. If you set yours pots at the same value twice, the result will be different each time.

You can have a good idea by listening to some Hordijk rungler demo, Wiard Wogglebug, Buchla 266.

But it's best to experience by yourself.

Imo sending noise to the input of a S/H is the least interesting thing that can be done with a S/H (witch is a very powerfull module)

Quote:
But acoustically... they sound *exactly the same*.
That seriously depend, sometime they don't sound much like noise anymore.
Take a noisering for exemple, it can go from almost white noise to static waveform with a world in between.

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Aha. I was thinking about the wav files i've posted earlier where its impossible to tell pseudo random (first zip) from a true random (second zip).

Yes there are hundreds of ways digital noise can be created and processed. The "loop" chip* noise generator that's in Korg Monopoly actually produces very exotic type of noise, sort of musical.

*I think i've smashed it with a hammer out of revolt, back then. Too bad. Could be used as a cool effect source.
Old 13th September 2012
Bio
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ok, sorry for the confusion !
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
seriously this is a thread that says my burst of static "analog" is better then your burst of static "digital" ?

Old 13th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Found these on another forum

"Simple - raw noise output comparisons between Buchla 266e & SFTMC 160"

"here are some more recordings i just made of white and pink noise from various early modular systems;
Serge Modular (paperface) white noise, Serge Modular (paperface) pink noise, RA Moog Modular 903 white noise, RA Moog Modular 903-A white noise, RA Moog Modular 903-A pink noise, ARP2500 1016 white noise, ARP2500 1016 pink noise

Recorded direct to disk without amplification or attenuation. Note the difference in output levels between the systems "

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

for finest premium white noise i recomend an oberheim x-pander..

actually wouldnt have been a bad idea to record just the noise for 30 minutes when i still had it..

however have a lab noise generator now that only had cost me 15 euros on ebay that is fully discret build and very good sounding white an dpink noise with over 30 dbu output level if required ..so you can overload any input with it
πŸ“ Reply