Classic deep house organs
Old 11th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Classic deep house organs

Hi,

The sound of organ chords in this track:

Kool Vibe - House Fever - My Love is Underground - YouTube

playing from the very beginning and simultaneously with bass, is very common to deep house music style and has been used many times in different variations. Do you know how to obtain such a classic sound? Is it a matter of specific hardware perhaps?
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Korg M1, Yamaha DX7/DX21, any sampler. See the "Organ 2" preset here - http://www.synthmania.com/m1.htm or the E ORGAN preset here: http://www.synthmania.com/dx7.htm

All the sound consists of are two or three sinewaves at most; 2 tuned to the root, 1 tuned to a fifth two octaves higher. Since the highest one is the "percussion", it needs a noise burst at the start and its volume envelope shape is decaying instead of gated.

What synths/plugins do you have?
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Korg M1 plugin. No need for anything else in my opinion .
Old 11th September 2012
Wildfunk
I think the M1 is not really suitable for this organ chord.

It's more like a rhodes organ. The standard M1 organ presets do not fit.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The chords do reminisce of a sniped Rhodes, but I though the OP was talking about the typical house organ dropping in later.
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thank you for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️
What synths/plugins do you have?
Basically I have NI Komplete 8 package (so FM8 included) and Arturia MinimoogV Original + dozens of freebie stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️
The chords do reminisce of a sniped Rhodes
Yep, I meant rhodes-like stuff. Well this possibly suggests layering rhodes and organs...
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I guess the key thing in that Jersey sound is not just organ sounds, but sampled organ chords. You can play same chords with M1, and it will be similar, but resample it, play a bit pitched down and you will be there
A lot of records of early 90s were with samples from this track. Mr jeremy My Love Is Underground said it somewhere, if i remember correctly

Old 12th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah, almost identical organ chords sound here. Resampling, as you mentioned, is one of the way of achieving the target sound. Personally, however, I cannot stop myself thinking of resampling as a kind of a theft... :/

Btw, listen to 10 seconds of both tracks:

Nicholas - "Without You" - YouTube
A1. Trujillo - Send Me Away (feat. Bernardo Risquez) / snippet by Apersonal Music on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Quite anoying to hear the same loop in two different tracks
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by top dog ➑️
A lot of records of early 90s were with samples from this track.
I read somewhere that it was common practice to sample deep house organs (or was it pianos?) from Summer Madness by Kool & The Gang.

Never tried it personally though, as I don't have Summer Madness in my vinyl collection.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexx ➑️
Resampling, as you mentioned, is one of the way of achieving the target sound. Personally, however, I cannot stop myself thinking of resampling as a kind of a theft... :/
You don't have to sample from someone else. Just play a chord on an M1 or something, sample it (possibly with EQ, reverb, record crackle etc), and transpose it. This gives that kinda flavour to whatever sound you use.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Resampling, as you mentioned, is one of the way of achieving the target sound. Personally, however, I cannot stop myself thinking of resampling as a kind of a theft... :/
No, then it'd just be called sampling, and it's not theft if you clear the samples, because that's the legal mechanism that explicitly allows this kind of thing (provided that the rightsholder is interested).

Just not very original - but that depends completely on what you do with the samples. Rest assured that Liam Howlett never thought of what he was doing as "theft".

Resampling explicitly means that you're taking material you've generated yourself and using it as a sample, instead of as MIDI notes. For instance, imagine that you have a TB-303. You can let it play a pattern all the time and change patterns on the fly during the track.

You can also sample that pattern (via the audio output of the 303) and load it into a sampler; then cut it into pieces and apply effects separately to those pieces. It's one of Fatboy Slim's common tricks, because you can end up with not-entirely-303-sounding patterns with more complexity than the original.

Nowadays, a plugin's track can be rendered to audio, and you can also cut it up; or you can duplicate that track say, 4 or 5 times. On each track, you print an effect. By cutting out bits and reassembling them, you can end up with various chaotic effects that are a lot of work to achieve with automation; the advantage of having the effect rendered into an audio file is that phasers/flangers always start at the same phase.

Quote:
Never listen to early drum 'n bass if you just want to hear the Amen break once .
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah, almost identical organ chords sound here. Resampling, as you mentioned, is one of the way of achieving the target sound. Personally, however, I cannot stop myself thinking of resampling as a kind of a theft... :/

Btw, listen to 10 seconds of both tracks:

Nicholas - "Without You" - YouTube
A1. Trujillo - Send Me Away (feat. Bernardo Risquez) / snippet by Apersonal Music on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Yeah, sampling is a powerful instrument, but we must use it way more creative - too much copying, using same samples and acapellas everywhere
I'm afraid that all that NJ house vibe will end soon, still in love with it though...
Wildfunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by top dog ➑️
You can play same chords with M1, and it will be similar, but resample it, play a bit pitched down and you will be there
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer ➑️
Just play a chord on an M1 or something...
I still wonder when it comes to organs always the M1 is "the one and only" solution

But i have to admit again that the M1 is not suitable for the requested sound (even if you eq and resample).
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I made a tip video on this a few months ago:

Old 12th September 2012
Gear Maniac

this Candice - Summer Dream (Summer Mix) - YouTube is a production i made in 92 were there is indeed a summer madness sample.
When we released it , in the same days there were other banging 2/3 tunes featuring the same sample.. but... nobody really copied eachother... it was just a great sound to sample !!
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There's already a million threads/questions about sampled chords regarding nj/ny/det house/techno

....but, here's a good question that I've never seen get asked yet (or very rarely) regarding early 90s nj/ny house, and also something I haven't used or done yet:

You know those, stabby, super short, "plucks" from many early 90s nj/ny house (and also some late 80s and early 90s hiphop I think)?? Kinda sounds like an electricity noise sorta, but a lot shorter and sorta gated. Where do they come from and how do you make them?

I'm pretty sure I can make it easily if I were to try; but I haven't got around doin it yet and all my gear is currently in boxes still. My best description of what I am talking about, is it would have a super quick attack, no decay (full loud), full sustain, and also quick release..and super short, almost gated-like. And the sonic signature/sound- I imagine/hear kinda a "hoover", but just very short and gated sounding and used in a drum-like/rhythm fashion instead. As far as how many notes, a single note or a full chord, I really don't know? Maybe a single note I think, or it could even be a full chord, since it's so short anyways, kinda middle-high frequencies and wont mud anything up, or perhaps a 2 or 3 note shell-chord? Used in one note/chord too like a percussion (ie: not chromatic nor scaling nor riffs, throughout a song- just a single note(or chord?)). No, I am not looking for the cheesy or complex trance, top40 nor prog-house plucks.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Lol. I don't have any examples right now, but it's in millions of early 90s nj house.

If anyone know, please share how to make some early 90s nj style house-plucks.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
A friend of mine bought a used yamaha organ in a thrift store for 15€. I sampled it and DAMN, that is a great raw sound
Old 7th June 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
tal ?
πŸ“ Reply