$180 for Korg 03R/W - OK? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
$180 for Korg 03R/W - OK?
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
$180 for Korg 03R/W - OK?

hi guys,

do you guys think Korg 03R/W for $180 is overpriced ? or just very very slightly pricier than average?

I need a small module for gigging, and not many ebay sellers ship to Malaysia, so my choice is limited

thanks in advance
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, I think that's overpriced. It's not in any way a sought after piece of equipment, and it's two decades old. I remember Keyboard Magazine doing a review of it in 1993 as part of the "General MIDI" feature. It did ok for itself among stuff like Roland's SC-55 and Kawai GMega, but...

So no, I would personally not give that kind of money for that module, unless it's got stuff you really want.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I kinda need the korg sounds and features (combis). the majestic choirs and strings especially. I have 3 korg keyboards that I don't wish to lug around to gigs :(

the 03R/W is almost similar to the 01/W that I love

what other choice do I have ?

thanks for the help
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Although they are slightly cut down versions (and cheaper), the 05R/W and perhaps, the better X5D/R are small half rack modules that are much more convienient than the full rack 03R/W.

I owned both, Strings, choirs and pads are their forte. Classic 90s Korg AI sounds.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
thanks guys. I realize now it's "kinda" lil bit expensive, might as well add another $150 for tr rack. I'll try to negotiate the price to maybe $150, then i'll feel much better, and also try to look for the half racks. though, 03rw has built-in power supply
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A TR-Rack is a huge step up from the O3r/w. I owned one for a while and it has a beautiful, bright, detailed sound. I sold it because it's response to system exclusive was perhaps the slowest and most dodgy of any synth I've work with. Programming it from the front panel was also the equivalent of being made to swallow a bucket of live snakes.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Korg 03R/W is not a bad synth and I actually regret having sold mine...
I still have the RE1 and with that one, it would be a nice module to have as it would be "easy" to program it realtime.
If I didn't, I would likely not regret it that much, as I can get similar sounds out of my Korg Triton, and more.

I sold it for less and thought it was a nice deal, and that was 2 years ago or so...
You can likely get a Korg Micro-X for not that much more and I don't think it should be worse than the 03R/W...
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks guys. Wow paugui, re1, so its collecting dust?
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nope, it is being used with one of my Korg A1s
I'd actually love to get another one, as I have two Korg A1s, but it's not easy finding one...

I also hope to give it some use sometime later if I get a Korg Wavedrum (the original model).
Old 20th August 2018
Here for the gear

I have one korg 03R/W collecting dust. Looking for 150 + shipping for it.
Old 21st August 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What about the ns5r? It has way more banks of sounds than the (x)W/R series. I remember it having at least 8 banks of progs and combis compared to only 2 on the ones mentioned above.
Old 6th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
100 bucks avail now in condition. Heard some of the demos and I like it.
Old 6th October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev ➑️
100 bucks avail now in condition. Heard some of the demos and I like it.
It is a nice rompler synth... has some classic Korg sounds. $100 is a decent price. I've had mine since 1995, although it is in storage.

Here is my ancient website for the 03R/w with info and some patch banks.
http://sayersweb.com/korg03rw/
Old 7th October 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
When in 1995 I tried 03R/W in one of the stores in Amsterdam, NL, I was blown away at how good it sounded compared to what was available those days in that class. And I had 01W/FD at my disposal pretty regularly, a machine of higher class which sounded sort of the same. Nowadays, it certainly does not bring the flare it had in the past, since our ears got used to better sounds of the newer technology. Is it worth it, in general, to pay a big price for older stuff? Depends on how much you like it and need it. You alone are the one giving the value to it, be it NS5R, 03R/W, or anything from the past.
πŸ“ Reply