Quantcast
76/88 kb controller with nothing but pitch & mod wheels? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
76/88 kb controller with nothing but pitch & mod wheels?
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
76/88 kb controller with nothing but pitch & mod wheels?

Hi.
Don't be angry with, since i know keyboard controllers have been discussed to death on this forum. I used the "search" - but i'm looking for something very specific.
I plan on selling my nord stage 2 - and get a controller + micromac + sem pro.
After years of playing a 76 key kb - i can't go back to 61 key kb.
All i want is a simple 76/88 controller, no bells & whistels are required (don't care for knobs and faders etc). Just a clean, slim 76/88 controller - but it has to have PITCH & MOD wheels. It doesn't matter if the action is weighted, hammer action or semi-weighted.
I just need this length of a keyboard.
Any ideas?
If this has been discussed before and i missed it in my search - could you please send the link to past discussions on a controller like this?

Thanks!
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i like the size of Yamaha CP33 hmmm well it does have midi outs .....

oh, and also Studiologic Numa Compact, good price, small-ish, pitch bend and mod wheel
Old 11th September 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
mmm if it's a good keyboard, and it's got some extra knobs or sliders on, you can ignore those when buying. and if it really bothers you you can stick some tape on them so you don't see them?
my point is, just compare the keyboard itself, quality/price, velocity and aftertouch, the action of the keys (piano-hammer, or springs), the rest is distractions.

yeah Studiologic Numa looks good, here's some others:
STUDIOLOGIC SL-990 pro
M-AUDIO - Keystation 88es - 88-Key Semi-Weighted USB MIDI Controller
Product: PC3X | Kurzweil
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➑️
mmm if it's a good keyboard, and it's got some extra knobs or sliders on, you can ignore those when buying. and if it really bothers you you can stick some tape on them so you don't see them?
my point is, just compare the keyboard itself, quality/price, velocity and aftertouch, the action of the keys (piano-hammer, or springs), the rest is distractions.

yeah Studiologic Numa looks good, here's some others:
STUDIOLOGIC SL-990 pro
M-AUDIO - Keystation 88es - 88-Key Semi-Weighted USB MIDI Controller
Product: PC3X | Kurzweil
Thanks.
If i'm not mistaken - the M -Audio 88 keystation has only velocity but No aftertouch. Unless i'm missing something here.

About knobs\faders etc - the reason i don't want these is because of the price factor. Trying not to spend too much $$ so i'll have enough for the micromac & sem pro.
Old 11th September 2012
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have a keystation 88. It is nice for the price, but it does not have aftertouch. I don't really use aftertouch anyways. Something about applying pressure to a keyboard key is just not comforting. I don't even like doing it on the Moog Voyager, and that has a very nice keyboard. It just feels like the keys will wear out quicker.

I too wanted a controller without extra controls, but that is because I wanted the keyboard to be slim. Nothing against knobs and sliders.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzxtreme ➑️
i like the size of Yamaha CP33 hmmm well it does have midi outs .....
+1

Fantastic piano for the price
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweisbin ➑️
+1

Fantastic piano for the price
... but apparently no aftertouch...

I also saw an M Audio 88 keystation PRO - but i'm also not sure wether or not it has aftertouch. It's used. Not manufactured anymore, so i can't get the specs from the m-audio website

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➑️
Thanks.
yerrr welcome
Quote:
If i'm not mistaken - the M -Audio 88 keystation has only velocity but No aftertouch. Unless i'm missing something here.
correct. I had the keystation pro with the sliders and it was good, but no aftertouch

Quote:
About knobs\faders etc - the reason i don't want these is because of the price factor. Trying not to spend too much $$ so i'll have enough for the micromac & sem pro.
got it, my point is, it's often the economy of scale
is this the case? Maybe. heh
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
aftertouch eh?

from thomann : all with pitch, mod wheel and aftertouch except vmk88

StudioLogic VMK88 Plus, no pitch wheel - USD320
Studiologic VMK-188 Plus - pitch/mod joystick USD410
Studiologic SL990 Pro - USD385
Studiologic Numa Nano - USD755
Studiologic Acuna 88 - USD540

the akais are around 500-600.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
if I were you i just take the VMK88 plus and find a workaround for modulation. the size and weight is just right
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There's a used mpk 88 for sale for about 400$, but the pitch/mod wheels need repair. The owner told me the problem is that they send mod/pitch even when they're off, and that fixing it is something around 50$.
Should i...?
Old 11th September 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
is it a mechanical problem? if so, don't do it, or give a low ball offer.
do you know a good tech in your neighbourhood? call him before buying it.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I guess if it's price i'm worried about - i'm gonna have to compromise on something. I'm starting to consider giving up aftertouch and get that used keystation pro. Someone's selling his for 250$, which seems the most bang for the buck compared to the alternatives. But still, no aftertouch sucks a bit...
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
How about a used K2000? They can usually be had for a decent price. They have a great keybed. As a plus you get a very useful synth for a low price. I just saw a K2000S on eBay for $499 OBO and it includes a case. That is a great price and less than a decent brainless controller.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsiegel ➑️
How about a used K2000? They can usually be had for a decent price. They have a great keybed. As a plus you get a very useful synth for a low price. I just saw a K2000S on eBay for $499 OBO and it includes a case. That is a great price and less than a decent brainless controller.
+1 on that
I'd thought about posting it, but it's a 66 key keybed right.
still very nice and playable.

one thing with the M-Audio; try it out before buying it, it's weighted piano keys so it's action is a bit slower than synth keybeds.

Another one is the E-MU romplers; XK-6, MK-6, PK-6 etc.
Ignore the sound engine, and you got a good velocity aftertouch keyboard
IF you can find one.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
+1 on that

one thing with the M-Audio; try it out before buying it, it's weighted piano keys so it's action is a bit slower than synth keybeds.
My current keyboard is the Nord Stage 2 HA76. It has hammer action so i'm used to playing non piano parts on a keybed such as this. But you know, there are different kinds of hammer action of different quality.
Right now my priority is to get as much as i can for my nord stage, and spend not too much on a controller, so that i'm left with as much as possible for a micromac and a sem pro.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
+1 on that
True that...but how about a K2500 which is 76 keys or a K2500X which is 88 keys? Both are on eBay now with decent prices as far as I can tell. An even better synth than a K2000 and larger keybed and also has the amazingly useful ribbon controller and pressure pad controller in addition to all the other controllers.

I have a K2600SX and it is my primary hammer action controller.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Roland A-88 MIDI Keyboard Controller 88-Key A-88 B&H Photo Video
Brand new from Roland.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yamaha KX76 and KX88 should be able to do what you want
And they are pretty good quality.

I have the KX76 and the keys are nice to play with
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1rtynyc ➑️
I checked the info out and it's simply outrageous. It costs 999$ (!!!), doesn't have aftertouch (and for this amount of money i would expect it to have aftertouch), and i don't like roland's compromise on the modwheel. It's a pitch bender, and the mod is only zero or full and nowhere in between - and no option to apply only 50% modulation and keep the "mod wheel\joystick thingy" there....
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I checked the info out and it's simply outrageous. It costs 999$ (!!!), doesn't have aftertouch (and for this amount of money i would expect it to have aftertouch), and i don't like roland's compromise on the modwheel. It's a pitch bender, and the mod is only zero or full and nowhere in between - and no option to apply only 50% modulation and keep the "mod wheel\joystick thingy" there....
I would reiterate my recommendation of a used Kurzweil keyboard. If you got yourself a K2600S you not only get a controller/synth which is great but you can use triple mode VAST effects on audio routed into the synth. A K2500S would be cheaper but you give up the ability to stack up more effects. You also have a GRP A4 which probably would do nicely with a ribbon controller and the Kurzweil's have an excellent and programmable one.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsiegel ➑️
I would reiterate my recommendation of a used Kurzweil keyboard. If you got yourself a K2600S you not only get a controller/synth which is great but you can use triple mode VAST effects on audio routed into the synth. A K2500S would be cheaper but you give up the ability to stack up more effects. You also have a GRP A4 which probably would do nicely with a ribbon controller and the Kurzweil's have an excellent and programmable one.
There's a kurz pc1x for sale. Is it any good?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
There's a kurz pc1x for sale. Is it any good?
Never used one so I can't say. It is probably more than capable as a midi controller if it is anything like the typical Kurzweil quality. You don't get all the extra goodies from the K2500/2600 keyboards but you might not care at all about that.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
An interesting option arrised. There's a kurzweil pc3 for sale for about 1k. It's 76 keys and obviously can be more than just a controller.
Someone is interested in buying my Nord Stage 2 for about 3300$.
So if these deals go down succesfully - i'll replace the nord with a kurz, and stay with just enough $$ for a macbeth micromac desktop.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Zahush
Not sure for the after touch for this one but it looks sick:
http://www.cluboftheknobs.com/polyclavier.html
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yamaha KX88.

There's Kurzweil MidiBoard for sale in my neck of the woods that sounds excellent and is extremely cheap. Claims to have Poly-Aftertouch and release velocity, pretty rare features in a full 88 key weighted keyboard. It does have some sliders though.
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I plan on selling my nord stage 2 - and get a controller + micromac + sem pro.
What do you use for poly sounds?

Anyway, don't skimp on the keyboard too much. I find the feel of the keyboard just as important as the feel of the knobs on my synths, if it feels cheap and clunky it ruins the experience and "connection" to the instrument. Especially if this is the only keyboard you'll be using to trigger all your synths.
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil missFlag ➑️
What do you use for poly sounds?

Anyway, don't skimp on the keyboard too much. I find the feel of the keyboard just as important as the feel of the knobs on my synths, if it feels cheap and clunky it ruins the experience and "connection" to the instrument. Especially if this is the only keyboard you'll be using to trigger all your synths.
For poly sounds i use:
1) Multitracked mono synths
2) The vermona perfourmer in poly mode, going thru the GRP's external in.
3) Vst's.

About the keyboard feel - i tend to agree. Truth is, if clavia will release some new, improved rhodes & clav samples - utilizing the NS2 bigger memory, i might draw back from the idea of selling it. The keyboard action on the HA76 is phenominal. I was afaraid at first it's going to be too hard, like for example the yamaha s90es. But it's somewhere between hammer action and semi-weighted. Not too hard - not too light, and more resistence than semi-weighted.

But what's up with Clavia? They keep giving us some useless new sample banks - when everybody's demanding new and improved electromechanical keyboard samples. Have a look at what's going on, on the nord users forum. There are a couple of threads about the dated rhodes samples (some of the samples are the same as the ones on the first generation nord electro i bought in 2002!).
I really hope they release new samples very soon.

If i keep the NS2, than it means giving up the idea of moog.
The realistic options for expanding my synth flavours would be:
a) Getting an SE Boomstar with the moogish filter, if\when it comes out, and if it sounds good enough.
b)Getting the mutable instruments Ambika as a polysynth, instead of the boomstar.
Financially, both are about the same (between 800$ - 990$).
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Nord keybeds are made by Fatar, so maybe you can pick up a Fatar controller with identical keys.

BTW I'm thinking of picking up a Macbeth Micromac desktop myself, if you do end up getting one maybe we can combine orders to reduce shipping costs, since we live in the same city. Just an idea.
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil missFlag ➑️
The Nord keybeds are made by Fatar, so maybe you can pick up a Fatar controller with identical keys.
Yep. The only problem is that for the same $$ a new fatar based controller will cost me - i could get a "real" keyboard that i could use as a controller - but also can give me sounds, should my computer crash or something.
I found someone who's selling his kurzweil PC3 for about 1100$, so...

Quote:
BTW I'm thinking of picking up a Macbeth Micromac desktop myself, if you do end up getting one maybe we can combine orders to reduce shipping costs, since we live in the same city. Just an idea.
That could be cool. When are you planning on ordering one? He is making them, sort of, right now.
πŸ“ Reply