SMALLEST synths with the BIGGEST sound
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
How about Mode Machine SynthLab

Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Not a synth but a yamaha su10 great for mangling sounds, also the frostwave resonator technically a filter but it turns into a synth when you control it with a midi/cv converter like the kenton pro solo.

Nebby
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a frostwave resonator, never thought of using it as a dual sine wave synth... Good idea! The tracking has to be perfect though.
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
Deleted fa52e55
RE: oddulator

Quote:
Looks interesting, is it analog/digital? Any audio demos?
All digital.
RozzBox
[Musikmesse] LL Electronics - Oddulator - YouTube

Sammich SID, based on the SID chip of C64 (Elektron´s Sidstation has a somewhat similar concept)

As well as Sammich FM, which is a 4 voice FM synth (same format as SammichSID), quite flexible in a small setup,
but far from sounding huge á la SEM, microcon, minitaur
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So basically I created this thread because I'm looking for a very small (no bigger than some of the bigger guitar stompbox pedals) great sounding synth that is knobby enough to program on the unit itself AND has patch memory, to complete my live setup. Analog or digital doesn't really matter, neither does polyphony since I'll be using it for mono sounds, it just needs to sound good.

Am I dreaming?
It seems like the available options have either one of these features or the other - synths such as the Mopho desktop, Tetra, Nord Micromodular rely on computer software to be programmed, while some of the other analog offerings such as the Minitaur, Vermona Mono Lancet, MFB synths etc. have no memory.

I have a Shruthi-1 which comes closest to what I'm looking for but I wouldn't call the interface exactly intuitive or fun. I own a Slim Phatty which I use live as well but I don't want to lug around another one, it has to be smaller.

I'm wondering - since the Moog Minitaur offers digital control over every parameter, can a MIDI sequencer recall entire patches on it? That would be perfect!
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil missFlag ➡️
I'm wondering - since the Moog Minitaur offers digital control over every parameter, can a MIDI sequencer recall entire patches on it? That would be perfect!
It has software you can download from Moog that allows you to save patches.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J ➡️
It has software you can download from Moog that allows you to save patches.
Yeah but I don't perform with a computer... which is why I'm wondering if a MIDI sequencer can do the same thing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SEM ... Nothing comes close. Nothing is quite so wonderfully HUGE sounding and so warm and ANALOGUE. Not many options for a discrete analogue either ..

Sound's Enormous Mutha' SEM.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The Minitaur DOES have the ability to save patches or snapshots with a computer attached, I have it, although to tell you the truth, the software is barely better then a beta now, and maybe even worse in that it is completely unreliable. The good folks are moog though are working on it though supposedly (albeit at a glacial pace), and it does add value to the unit. There are lots of functions in the synth you can open up in the "under the hood" section, like note re-triggering filters and oscillators etc... pretty cool, but again, dodgy in use. It "says" it saves a snapshot of your patch, it just doesn't always "do" it. Kind of like the Seinfeld episode where they take the reservation for the rental car, they just don't actually reserve the car...
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
MFB Synth II - YouTube

3 analog VCOs and 2 LFOs.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto ➡️
The Minitaur DOES have the ability to save patches or snapshots with a computer attached, I have it, although to tell you the truth, the software is barely better then a beta now, and maybe even worse in that it is completely unreliable. The good folks are moog though are working on it though supposedly (albeit at a glacial pace), and it does add value to the unit. There are lots of functions in the synth you can open up in the "under the hood" section, like note re-triggering filters and oscillators etc... pretty cool, but again, dodgy in use. It "says" it saves a snapshot of your patch, it just doesn't always "do" it. Kind of like the Seinfeld episode where they take the reservation for the rental car, they just don't actually reserve the car...
Thanks. I'm wondering how the software transmits the patch data to the synth though? Is it purely MIDI CCs, or sysex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc ➡️
MFB Synth II - YouTube

3 analog VCOs and 2 LFOs.
This synth definitely sounds good, but I keep hearing about MFB's shoddy build quality. Just glancing at the comments for that video, I see a number of unhappy users with defective units.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds ➡️
technosaurus microcon (II).
+1
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For an extra synth for live, maybe consider a DSI Tetra.

It's small and can do a lot and sounds great... leads, strings, percussion, and yes bass... some of those stacked 4 voice unison basses on it sound awesome.

And you can do basic editing with the 8 front panel knobs, you don't need the software editor unless you are doing major editing with the onboard sequencers, etc. And if needed it can be put into multi-timbral mode for even more sounds at once (although don't try editing in multi-mode... a major pain). If you are using it as a 4 voice poly synth and avoid the tricky multi-mode... the Tetra is pretty much rock solid and very versatile.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS7 ➡️
For an extra synth for live, maybe consider a DSI Tetra.

It's small and can do a lot and sounds great... leads, strings, percussion, and yes bass... some of those stacked 4 voice unison basses on it sound awesome.

And you can do basic editing with the 8 front panel knobs, you don't need the software editor unless you are doing major editing with the onboard sequencers, etc. And if needed it can be put into multi-timbral mode for even more sounds at once (although don't try editing in multi-mode... a major pain). If you are using it as a 4 voice poly synth and avoid the tricky multi-mode... the Tetra is pretty much rock solid and very versatile.
Thanks, I'm definitely considering the Tetra. Can all parmeters be accessed comfortably from the panel other than the sequencer?
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks, I'm definitely considering the Tetra. Can all parmeters be accessed comfortably from the panel other than the sequencer?
the software for it completely sucks it basically wont detect the tetra...

but if you have another full synth its possible to midi to synth keyboard and use the knobs for modulations. i connect mine to nord lead 2x.

the modulations on other keyboards might be a bit asymmetrical unless you can memorize all the menus/knobs without labeling.

overall it is hard to get away from the brassy mellow sound of the (prophet type synths), but when changing the base pitch it is possible to change. a lot of the sounds are muppety or clinky because an old washed up guy designed them.

its fine with effects.

its just definetly not the deepest most electric sound.

http://soundcloud.com/genesis6b/dsi-tetra-2

g-base sounds. using G and B are good green or blue. F or D make it even worse except some is okay.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I did not touch it in real live yet, but this one seems tasty:

Dominion

Test with some nice audio:
MFB Dominion X / X SED- the OSCar effect | GreatSynthesizers

Maybe I get my hands on it on Friday...
(just in a shop...)
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, you have four dedicated knobs to cutoff, res, attack, release, and four user assignable knobs, which are already assigned to different parameters depending on the patch chosen, but you can overwrite the assignments to whatever you want and re-save the patch, or just make/load your own.

8 knobs is sufficient for tweaking a patch unrecognizable, but for designing a patch from scratch you'd have to menu dive quite a bit more or try to use the editor. So it depends on your needs: if you set it up in advance, it could be a great versatile workhorse for live stuff.

As for the sound of it, IMO it's slightly aggressive/harsh in some ways but beautiful in others. If you want mellow/melodic type sounds it can do them, but you have to find the sweet spot with the filter.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A year ago I would have said this little baby:

But the guy making them has pretty much **** his own bed.

Today I'd say this fantastic gem:

📝 Reply