reverb on kicks? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
reverb on kicks?
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
reverb on kicks?

I have noticed many producers like redone put alot of crazy reverb on their kicks..

why do they do this? do you use reverb on kicks , snares too?

i usually try to not use so much reverb, only on vocals.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There are no hard rules for any use of effects in a mix but what you want.

Generally, the kick is not put through reverb because it will seriously muddy the sound and take away from the attack, which is often undesirable- particularly in beat driven music.

Snares are reverbed far more often than kicks.

However, careful eq at the front of the reverb could ensure only the upper frequencies of the kick have a decay.

Also, playing with pre delay can help give the attack some space before the reverb tail kicks in (puns unintended!).
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Depends on the song and the music style.
For slow songs with lots of pads and atmosphere (to avoid the term "ambient" as a style), I might drown all of my drums in hall, for punchy uptempo songs I'd only use a bit room or plate.
Old 10th September 2012
AvS
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I often put a really short reverb on my kicks. I almost always lowcut the reverb but sometimes i dont, if i want to lengthen the lowend of the kick a tiny bit.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ill run a subtle send on it but that's it. I almost always reverb like all hell on snares though:D

Sent from my PG06100
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I send my kicks to a short verb on a bus. All my reverb sends have a EQ after the verb cut at 120 or so. That way I can send things like kicks and bass to reverb and not worry about mud.

I think of it like this: If you were playing a drum kit on an empty club, all the drums would have natural reverb on them, anyway.

Just cut the mud on the reverb like any other element where you dont want low rumble.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would recommend using reverb on kicks only when it sounds good.
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i actually use a lot of reverb on snares, for me it gives a good feel

specially for dubstep, for the kick i try to put only on the lower frequencies and about 5% of dry/wet just to keep a little atmosphere with the kick
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is this a Why or a How? If you layer your kicks leave the 'click' & 'sub' dry and add some high-passed reverb/delay to the 'body' element for width when you need it.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Also, 'gated' reverb on snares, but they're often layered too. I don't actually gate them, but draw in the envelope in the DAW.
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
msl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pulse ➑️

Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i use reverb on everything. a lot of times though it's a convolution impulse of an actual and fairly small space. so it's not for the typical 'tail' aspect of reverb, but instead used to give an impression that a sound exists within a 3-dimensional space. this is what generally makes certain sounds seem like they're coming from somewhere outside of the speakers.
Old 11th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I put a plate on the snare but generally leave my kicks dry.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sometimes, a tiny amount of short reverb injected between the kick and compressor can sound nice.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Depends on what sound you're trying to get. A good ambience on the whole kit can really open up the way it sounds and add some depth to it a la John Bonham.
Old 11th September 2012
Wildfunk
I like those oldskool techno tracks with the "Warehouse Reverb Preset"

Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
alright, thanks for everyones replies...

Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I got myself some trance kick sample set awhile back (don't ask why) and noticed that atleast half of them had some sort of reverb on them. I'm guessing they're just sampled from trance tunes. It could be that they're layered with some sound that has a reverb on it, but they were far from dry. That kind of sucks when buying samples.

I've put a single reverb on 808 and 606 kits, even with kick included. It works with certain types of music.

Generally I wouldn't put too much reverb on the bass freqs, or atleast make it mono.
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pulse ➑️
This made my day!
Old 13th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
some big room techno tracks have been putting reverb on their kicks lately, but sparingly through a send i think. here is a sample of something i did a few months ago, but it's pretty exaggerated reverb for a kick, but definitely gets the point across.

Battle plan by Andrei morant on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 13th September 2012
Deleted User
If you scoop the EQ control of reverb where the dry sound is you can keep it from sounding muddy. I use a lot of roll off. I'm obsessed with reverb controls. Sometimes you get too much energy built up in them. You can also use a compressor on a reverb drenched kick to get a cool sound. I learned this making patches, not mixing music.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
my favourite kick sound is beginning of tina turner's private dancer song. I wonder how to get such deep punch
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
a little reverb is good for taking away the choppiness on sampled drums, if nec
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Halo by Beyonce. Brilliant example of how good reverb on kicks can work. But as someone mentioned, works good on slow songs. On a dance track it will eat up the beat.
Old 12th October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I've heard some crazy things done to kicks (Mike Paradinas).

It sounds like the drums were run through some kind of distortion that made the kicks and snares sound really cool.

Anyway, all the reverb I've tried to put on drums ended up sounding weird and ****ty. Maybe try sidechaining the reverb to the kick itself. That would sound pretty crazy.
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Techno tracks indeed have reverbs on kicks. Often a reverse type verb.

Old 12th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickSnare ➑️
I've heard some crazy things done to kicks (Mike Paradinas).

Woah ... thx for that link i really enjoyed it

Anyways as far as reverb on kicks goes this is one of my alltime favourite tracks

which uses obviously lots of reverse reverb. I sometimes use a small room as a layer after a [email protected]

Cheers
Loop
πŸ“ Reply