Talk Talk synth sound - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Talk Talk synth sound
Old 7th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3keys ➑️
Steve Winwood was a major contributor to It's My Life.
Winwood is on The Colour Of Spring, not on It's My Life
Old 7th November 2013
tun
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
That FAT two note sound in "It's My Life" always fascinated me.
Me too, fantastic sound, really emotive.
Old 7th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Talk Talk...wow. start out as catchy synth-pop ("All you do to me is talk talk")
End up with the most sublimely introspective and beautiful music I've ever heard (Laughing Stock & Spirit of Eden).

I don't care about how the sounds were made. I care about the SOUND. Those recordings are unbelievable intense and emotional. Really serious stuff. I've never heard anything like them.

Unbelievable, really.

I like how each album got more sparse, more introspective, and more intense, until the end.
Old 7th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Wow.. that was/is one of the best bands in the 20th century!
I remember when i got their self titled maxi as a birthday gift from my elder brother, that was a turning point for me as a 10 year old lad.
Truly music for musicians, specifically the later albums, and the cover art to their records are pieces of art! Great collaboration and are sadly missed!
Old 7th November 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks! I knew Winwood played on one of their records, just had the wrong one!
Old 9th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Synths sounds on Such a shame achieved !

Here the cover version of my band >

Old 18th December 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3keys ➑️
Steve Winwood was a major contributor to It's My Life.

Really?! That's fascinating, can you explain? It's one of my favourite songs.
So to surmise: The "elephant" sound and other sound fx are Jupiter 8?
What's the DX7 doing?
And the pad is Oberheim OBXA?

I think the sax type sound playing the solo is a synth?

What else is there? I think I can hear acoustic guitar? Maybe another guitar in there at times too?

Could anyone comment on the merits of doing the pad sound on an OB8 if one doesn't have an OBXA? Any ideas for getting the OB8 to sound closer to the OBXA it sounds pretty close to begin with... but any closer?

thanks
Old 27th December 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I am pretty sure you got your answer, but maybe not :

Old 27th December 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoBeker ➑️
I am pretty sure you got your answer, but maybe not :

hey thanks - so in that set up it's a dx7 at the top, and a Jupiter 8 - but what's on the middle tier of that keyboard stand? A Jupiter 6? That's doing the "elephant" type sound?

Now also wondering if the piano on "Life's What You Make It" could be a Yamaha Cp70? But I'm imagining not?
Old 27th December 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
hey can you suggest how to make the "elephant" sound on an Oberheim OBXA? (I'm not sure if it's the OBXA on the record or the Jupiter 8 doing this sound, seems like here different people are suggesting it's one or the other?) - I can definitely get the string pad sounds in the ballpark but I haven't had the OBXA for long and am not great at driving it - my tweaking seems to quickly make something like the sound of a nuclear reactor going into meltdown - which is awesome .... but I'd like to add elephants!

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 27th December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Gotta reiterate. What a friggin great band.
And his voice and the Hammond organ on Give it up are truly exceptional.
Old 27th December 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Talk Talk used Two Jupiter 8's live and in the studio. Hope that helps.
Old 28th December 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Bliss ➑️
hey thanks - so in that set up it's a dx7 at the top, and a Jupiter 8 - but what's on the middle tier of that keyboard stand? A Jupiter 6? That's doing the "elephant" type sound?

Now also wondering if the piano on "Life's What You Make It" could be a Yamaha Cp70? But I'm imagining not?
Rack 1 :
1 DX7
2 Jup 8

Rack 2 :
1 JX3P
1 Jup 8
1 piano

Old 28th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafkey ➑️
Synths sounds on Such a shame achieved !

Here the cover version of my band >

Nice!
Old 2nd January 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I never really knew what equipment Talk Talk were using during their synth years, but was always like 90% convinced there had to be a PPG Wave or something similar involved... Really surprising that they were using Jupiter 8 and DX 7, which is basically the exact same stuff everyone else in synth pop was using in those days; yet they managed to make them sound so much more exotic and otherworldly than anyone else that comes to mind.
Old 2nd January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Had the 12 inch from such a shame , it had a great middle section and think outboard played a crucial part with delay re verbs and elephants in middle section.Its analog goodness

Old 3rd January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by convex ➑️
I never really knew what equipment Talk Talk were using during their synth years, but was always like 90% convinced there had to be a PPG Wave or something similar involved... Really surprising that they were using Jupiter 8 and DX 7, which is basically the exact same stuff everyone else in synth pop was using in those days; yet they managed to make them sound so much more exotic and otherworldly than anyone else that comes to mind.
According to an interview with Talk Talk from 1984 they were also using a PPG wave on that album so you weren't wrong.

EDIT: I'm not totally sure there's any DX-7 on the actual studio recording, though they definitely had one
for the subsequent tour.
Old 3rd January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm not saying it was how the sound was made, but I swear I've made very similar sounds on my DX7. Especially with vibrato. The E! Expansion let's you stack voices and detune them off of each other too, which isn't standard functionality.

Don't think I'm saying it's the DX7 for sure, but I'm just saying don't underestimate the DX7.
Old 23rd January 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by convex ➑️
100% Agree. Not only did they make them sound different from everyone else, but they are bloody difficult to replicate. They play the synths with a lot of expression; lots of swells and pitch bends; and this also makes it hard to copy - you sometimes don't know if it is the pitch bend, mod wheel or the programming that's making the sound .

The elephant trumpet that doubles as the lead synth later (the breathy screech) is from the Jupiter 8, using cross-mod or something. You can get very close on a Sledge using a random pitch LFO on OSC1 with an FM feed into OSC2, which I guess is somewhat cross-modish. I figured it would be a breeze on the System 8 using either the System 8 engine or Jupiter 8 plugout, but no luck. Needs someone with more S8 experience I guess.
Old 1st October 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
So this threads been dead a long time, but I wanted to ask - anyone know what reverb Mark used on his voice? Sounds impossibly deep...
Old 7th November 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I'll also bump this. Not expecting any definitive answers, but I'd love to know what's being used on the track "Tomorrow Started". Very tasteful usage of ear candy. Brilliant ****.
Old 4th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
That FAT two note sound in "It's My Life" always fascinated me.
Me too. Fat and lovely. Is it the Fairlight? The Arturia versio doesn't sound like it at all here (4:45, 6:20):

But that could be the user's fault. I wonder if it's the synth in the original is something else than the Fairlight? Like something, even the Jupiter 8 through a heavy chorus?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle ➑️
Me too. Fat and lovely. Is it the Fairlight? The Arturia versio doesn't sound like it at all here (4:45, 6:20):

But that could be the user's fault. I wonder if it's the synth in the original is something else than the Fairlight? Like something, even the Jupiter 8 through a heavy chorus?
Just 8 voice unison 2 detuned saws modulated by fast LFO and stacked with some noise, through 24dB filter with some 0-5% of resonance.
For the elephant sound, remove the noise and slowly manually increase LFO to VCO modulation amount.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt ➑️
Just 8 voice unison 2 detuned saws modulated by fast LFO and stacked with some noise, through 24dB filter with some 0-5% of resonance.
For the elephant sound, remove the noise and slowly manually increase LFO to VCO modulation amount.
You got that by the ear? Nice, I hope you're right. Gotta try it.

To me it also sounds like Synthex / Xerxes with the chorus could get into that territory (though they probably didn't use one here).
Old 13th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Powered up my Jupi8 after a long while to try this. I think you're on the right track in terms of programming but the synth making this particular sound is definitely not a JP8. The JP's timbre is much too cutting and punchy. Pwm gets closer than saw. Btw, it's not even possible to stack 8 voices unison and noise in the JP.

The jupiter is sweet and velvety but in a very different way. So perhaps it is the Fairlight after all.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle ➑️
Powered up my Jupi8 after a long while to try this. I think you're on the right track in terms of programming but the synth making this particular sound is definitely not a JP8. The JP's timbre is much too cutting and punchy. Pwm gets closer than saw. Btw, it's not even possible to stack 8 voices unison and noise in the JP.

The jupiter is sweet and velvety but in a very different way. So perhaps it is the Fairlight after all.
Oh.
I never said i used the J8 when experimenting with these 2 sounds.
I fired up my favorite free VSTi Xhip and used these settings and got similar enough sounds to call it a good starting point.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Oh.
I never said i used the J8 when experimenting with these 2 sounds.
Indeed

I wish I could try that Xerxes though.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFH5JgyZK1I
The 2 sounds at 1:27 "waaaaaao" and 1:29 "bim bom" ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFH5JgyZK1I
The 2 sounds at 1:27 "waaaaaao" and 1:29 "bim bom" ?
I'm talking about talk talk & just the fat two note "bim bom" at 1:29 (already at 0:05).
πŸ“ Reply