Quantcast
Modifying a Crumar Bit One - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Modifying a Crumar Bit One
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Modifying a Crumar Bit One

I got a Crumar BIT ONE, and I like its sound a lot.... It takes a lot of time to change the character of the sound, so I am thinking about modify it in one way or another, so I can access more of its parameters at the same time.

Using the horrible 2digit LED display, and only being able to access/edit one of its parameters at a time don't do it for me. Is there a way i can modify it to get more out of its synth engine?

Also it got a really bad MIDI interface with no opportunities for receiving SysEx data. Would a MIDI upgrade give me this opportunity?

enlighten me please

Crumar Bit One | Vintage Synth Explorer
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
any ideas slutz?
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Get a Bit 99 or 01 they do Sysex, the Bit One doesn't understand anything MIDI, but note values. It might be possible to add a cutoff and resonance pot, like the moog slayer mod for the Poly-800, but those settings would not be saved with the patch. And i guess it would be significantly more complex as the poly has only one filter but the Bit has eight.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I dont have money to buy synths, and if I did it would not be another Crumar...
So I want to make the best out of the Bit One .

never heard about the moog slayer mod before, but that seems very interesting.

Being able to adjust cutoff and resonance from potmeters, would make the synth become a different beast...
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
seriously for the work/cost involved in modifying that thing, you'd be better off selling it and buying something that has the knobs and sliders you want.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I am thinking about doing it as a hobby project, as I dont want to sell it..
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
From a techs perspective who has modded plenty of gear.. Some questions for you would be..

Can you read schematics?

Can you solder?

Do you understand basic electronics etc?

Have you got the schems for it?

If the answer to all of the above is yes, then go for it. (adding direct controls for the sounds)

With regard to better MIDI etc.. Forget that. That's gonna take a complete overhaul of the micro, and Unless you want to go to Uni for 5 years studying EE and then spend another 5 in the field, that endeavor would probably best be avoided.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I had one briefly a long time ago.
Should have kept it.
It's quite a unique sounding synth. Modified instruments tend to be worth less than those in original condition.
I would leave it be and learn to love it. If you can't love it, sell it.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureman84 ➑️
From a techs perspective who has modded plenty of gear.. Some questions for you would be..

Can you read schematics?

Can you solder?

Do you understand basic electronics etc?

Have you got the schems for it?

If the answer to all of the above is yes, then go for it. (adding direct controls for the sounds)

With regard to better MIDI etc.. Forget that. That's gonna take a complete overhaul of the micro, and Unless you want to go to Uni for 5 years studying EE and then spend another 5 in the field, that endeavor would probably best be avoided.
thanks for the replies

I dont know much about soldering, but I got friends who are experienced electro engineers, and they would ofcourse have to be a big part of this project as well

Its just that I love the sound of this synth but its useless in a jam situation ,when adjusting just a couple of parameters takes like forever..

IΒ΄m not going to sell it as it has alot of sentimental value for me, even tho I found it in a dumpster.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by utrop ➑️
thanks for the replies

I dont know much about soldering, but I got friends who are experienced electro engineers, and they would ofcourse have to be a big part of this project as well

Then be prepared to pay them as it will be a bit of work. Lol
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I dont have money to buy synths, and if I did it would not be another Crumar...
Word.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Seriously the best option is to sell the Bit One and get a Biit 99 or 01 rack since you said you like the sound and they support sysex...

No need to slam Crumar - they made so very nice synths like the DS-2, Bit 99/01, Spirit, and GDS...
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt ➑️
Seriously the best option is to sell the Bit One and get a Biit 99 or 01 rack since you said you like the sound and they support sysex...

No need to slam Crumar - they made so very nice synths like the DS-2, Bit 99/01, Spirit, and GDS...
thanks for the good advice dougt

but i will keep the bit one, and get my hands on a bit 01 when I get the opportunity
Old 22nd October 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Straight forward

Quote:
thanks for the good advice dougt

but i will keep the bit one, and get my hands on a bit 01 when I get the opportunity
I own a Bit1, love the synth and added a very simple vcf and a few other mods to the board, a few pots on the chassis and the sound is now thicker and considerably deeper.

Get familiar with analog circuitry and subtractive synthesis, with analog, your main concern is power as the architecture is simplified in comparison to digital and va circuits.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The Bit One and the Bit 99/01 don't sound identical. The Bit One is definitely warmer, but more unstable.
Old 19th October 2018
Deleted b6e9904
Does this synth respond to velocity via midi as well as note values or not?
Old 19th October 2018 | Show parent
Deleted 7a792f4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b6e9904 ➑️
Does this synth respond to velocity via midi as well as note values or not?
From memory (I no longer own one) I believe it does respond to velocity via midi. Mine was OMNI mode only though...
The Bit One is a velocity sensitive synth (has a knob o the back to adjust the velocity sensitivity of its keyboard).
Old 19th October 2018
Deleted b6e9904
Cheers, thanks. I’ve also found 100% confirmation on this via some web page about it.
πŸ“ Reply